Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Swaybars seem spring - remove with wheels loaded or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 11:46 PM
Infinibini
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Swaybars seem spring - remove with wheels loaded or not?

Hello,

I had my 2008 sport coupe jacked up and was going to unbolt the rear sway bar. When I started to unbolt one of the end links, it looks like there was a huge amount of tension from the sway bar pushing downward on the end link. I stopped and retorqued the bolt because I didn't want it to spring down super hard or be in a situation where I could not bolt it back up.

How do you remove/install the sway bar? I had the car lifted by the frame, does it have to be lifted by the wheels or something?

Thank you
Old 02-19-2019, 12:14 AM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
I lifted the car up from the diff and placed the jack stands on the sides where you can place them. Make sure to take the wheels off so their isn’t any weight on the suspension. For removing it I can’t really describe it but if you go on YouTube look up Hotchkis sway bar install they show which parts of the exhaust to loosen to take the sway bar out. When placing the new one I would highly suggest you keep the plastic wrap in the sway bar and move it to its place where to mount it then remove the plastic cover on the sway bar just so that you do not scratch up the paint.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:49 PM
Infinibini
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Said Amir
I lifted the car up from the diff and placed the jack stands on the sides where you can place them. Make sure to take the wheels off so their isn’t any weight on the suspension. For removing it I can’t really describe it but if you go on YouTube look up Hotchkis sway bar install they show which parts of the exhaust to loosen to take the sway bar out. When placing the new one I would highly suggest you keep the plastic wrap in the sway bar and move it to its place where to mount it then remove the plastic cover on the sway bar just so that you do not scratch up the paint.
Thanks, I will watch a few videos. I did have the wheels off and the car on stands and it still seemed like there was a lot of tension on the end links. I didn't want it to explode off and hurt my stupid head or something.