Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help wheel shaking at speeds above 60mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 11:17 AM
hockeyzbh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wheel shaking at speeds above 60mph

Hi guys. I have an 09 g37x coupe with bc br coils and some other mods. Recently at speeds above 60 mph my wheel shakes fairly much. the car itself doesn't seem too unstable at high speeds but definitely noticeable. I had recently had my CV axles in the front replaced due to the boot being ripped and thought that would solve the problem but it did not (helped a little but not a significant amount). My mechanic said he wasn't able to find anything else that was loose so now I don't know what to do. Anyone have any idea what it could be? I did recently get a new rim but I had it balanced multiple times already thinking that was the problem. my one thought was maybe the wheels need to be retorqued but idk if that will solve the problem. any help is appreciated!
Old 08-06-2018, 12:09 PM
Rich11G37xS
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
sounds like bad wheel bearings...that sounds exactly what my Altima felt like
Old 08-06-2018, 12:29 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts
You could look at ball joints to make sure there isn't any play in them but I'd think that your mechanic would check that if he did the axle(s). Do you have stock wheels or aftermarket? Sometimes aftermarket wheels come with hub centric rings to make sure the wheel mates properly. The rings can crack over time or disappear without noticing if you are taking wheel on and off a lot. You could also check tire wear. If your alignment is out because of your coilovers and the tires are wearing poorly it can cause vibration.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:45 AM
hockeyzbh

Originally Posted by KidJai06
You could look at ball joints to make sure there isn't any play in them but I'd think that your mechanic would check that if he did the axle(s). Do you have stock wheels or aftermarket? Sometimes aftermarket wheels come with hub centric rings to make sure the wheel mates properly. The rings can crack over time or disappear without noticing if you are taking wheel on and off a lot. You could also check tire wear. If your alignment is out because of your coilovers and the tires are wearing poorly it can cause vibration.
I have aftermarket staggered wheels with 20MM spacers all around. They are Stance SCfive rims. Do they have hub centric rings? wheels have been taken on and off a good amount. The tires are fairly new continental extreme contacts that I bought about like 5 or 6 months ago. This started about a month or two ago after I had a rim replaced due to me crashing into a curb (not sure if that caused any internal damage but my mechanic said everything seemed tight around it). My mechanic said he balanced them and had them balanced by another place as well but I am not entirely sure he did take it to another place to make sure. I was thinking about going somewhere else and getting a second opinion but few shops will touch my car due to the modifications. I don't have a camber kit but I haven't had one since ive had the car and its been lowered the same amount since I bought it about 2 years ago. U think that the tires are already that worn? it does seem to be coming from my front tires which is where I hit the curb so I don't know
Old 08-15-2018, 10:52 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich11G37xS
sounds like bad wheel bearings...that sounds exactly what my Altima felt like
Second this. I had the exact same thing happen to my car (CV axle replaced) when I was experiencing the same symptoms as OP. Helped eliminate some of the oddities but after replacing my wheel bearing the car was back to 100%.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:59 AM
hockeyzbh

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Second this. I had the exact same thing happen to my car (CV axle replaced) when I was experiencing the same symptoms as OP. Helped eliminate some of the oddities but after replacing my wheel bearing the car was back to 100%.
hmm ok I will have them checked out. I appreciate the friendly advice man
Old 08-15-2018, 12:40 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
hows your alignment? have you had it checked since you hit the curb?...bad toe could be accelerating wear on the tires/causing uneven wear and causing other problems ...the wheel bearing suggested by others also sounds like a good bet but it may be a good idea to have the alignment checked anyways after hitting something
Old 08-15-2018, 12:44 PM
hockeyzbh

Originally Posted by Hashim
hows your alignment? have you had it checked since you hit the curb?...bad toe could be accelerating wear on the tires/causing uneven wear and causing other problems ...the wheel bearing suggested by others also sounds like a good bet but it may be a good idea to have the alignment checked anyways after hitting something
Had an alignment done a few weeks afterwards since my car was pulling. Apparently my toe was really out but they fixed it from my understanding. Im going to have my mechanic check my bearings next week and see. Appreciate it
Old 08-15-2018, 01:23 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Does the noise/vibrations increase when loading one side of the car vs the other? Perform a quick slalom at about 35-40 MPH and the symptoms will increase pending which side the bad bearing is on.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:41 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Have the wheels been balanced? Are the wheels true?
Old 08-15-2018, 02:13 PM
hockeyzbh

Idk what u mean by if the wheels are true but yes according to my mechanic they have been balanced multiple times. Doesnt seem to be coming from one side specifically however there have been a few random occassions that i have heard metal scraping but then it would go away the next day. Only heard it like a few times over a few months tho.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:41 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Yea, I'd bet it's the bearing on the same side the CV axle was replaced. I didn't have the the vibrations like you but I had the metal on metal and the flat tire sound associated with a bad bearing.
The following users liked this post:
hockeyzbh (08-24-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 02:57 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by hockeyzbh
Idk what u mean by if the wheels are true
Is the run-out within acceptable limits? Sometimes a bent wheel manifests as vibration in the steering wheel, similar to a wheel that's out of balance.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:40 AM
hockeyzbh

Originally Posted by Selym
Is the run-out within acceptable limits? Sometimes a bent wheel manifests as vibration in the steering wheel, similar to a wheel that's out of balance.
what do you mean by the run-out? One of the rims was just recently replaced. I had thought maybe it was bent but something just doesn't feel right. feels like something is loose really but gonna have mechanic check out bearings next week
Old 08-24-2018, 02:45 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Run-out describes the "trueness" of a rotating part, in this case the wheel. If you raise the car and spin the wheel/tire, if there is any appearance of wobble, then either the tire or the rim has run-out greater than zero. Zero is the expectation. Of course, the bearing and hub have to be mechanically sound so you know it's actually the wheel/tire. There are gauges that can measure run-out.

Quick Reply: Help wheel shaking at speeds above 60mph