Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

2013 G37XS Sedan Alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 03:32 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 G37XS Sedan Alignment question

I am going to Mr. Tire to get an alignment done. The Mr. Tire that I got my tires put on advised I go to another Mr. Tire to get my alignment checked and done as he knows I am very careful with my wheels and he has an older machine that clamps on the edge of the wheels and might slightly mar them.

I called up the other Mr. Tire to ask them about their alignment machine and he said that it claps on the tires. My question to you, is that safe for my tires that I just got put on? Certainly do not want to harm my new tires.

Also, Is there any specific torque I should inform the shop to tight anything to after they align my car?

Lastly, my car is all original OEM with 24,000 miles. The specs the machine has is fine. No specific alignment specification is really needed, right?
Old 01-27-2017, 02:24 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Did you have any suspension work done? If your car is tracking straight, steering wheel centered, even tread wear you shouldn't need an alignment. Never hurts to have it checked but to be honest I wouldn't worry about ir with only 24k miles unless you jacked your car on a pothole, had suspension work done, or something feels amiss.

Wheels should be torqued to 85 ft lbs, camber arm & toe bolt 54 ft lbs.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:46 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Did you have any suspension work done? If your car is tracking straight, steering wheel centered, even tread wear you shouldn't need an alignment. Never hurts to have it checked but to be honest I wouldn't worry about ir with only 24k miles unless you jacked your car on a pothole, had suspension work done, or something feels amiss.

Wheels should be torqued to 85 ft lbs, camber arm & toe bolt 54 ft lbs.
The steering wheel is ever so slightly off center, that is why I wanted to check and get an alignment as I do not want my new tires to not wear properly if I was out of alignment.

Camber arm and toe bolts, is that something they need to loosen and tighten up when doing an alignment? Should I inform them of the 54 ft lbs?

Last edited by mjnoles1; 01-27-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:22 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by mjnoles1
The steering wheel is ever so slightly off center, that is why I wanted to check and get an alignment as I do not want my new tires to not wear properly if I was out of alignment.

Camber arm and toe bolts, is that something they need to loosen and tighten up when doing an alignment? Should I inform them of the 54 ft lbs?
Yeah, if the steering wheel is off center there would seem to be something that would need adjustment. The bolts holding the camber arms and the toe bolts would be the primary adjustment points in back, in front it would be the tie rods, the shop will know that one.