Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help Info On Coilover

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 01:53 PM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Info On Coilover

So I've been reading about the various suspension offerings and it appears that The Tein Street Basis coils would be best for me overall. But these will save almost $200 and allow me to almost get coilovers and the camber kit for about the price of the Teins.

Has anyone tried these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-Full-Coi...ZUdg2y&vxp=mtr
Old 12-15-2016, 02:19 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
no. do not buy unless you want to purchase again in a month or two. they will blow the springs will sag and deform. do it right do it once.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:56 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Do not throw your money away on that garbage. Quality over quantity - every time.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:58 PM
r2dmax

Thanks! I was skeptical and you've convinced me. Tien it is... Thinking about the Niche Citrine in Bronze too. I didn't want 20s but I may get a killer deal on wheels and tires
Old 12-15-2016, 10:17 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by r2dmax
Thanks! I was skeptical and you've convinced me. Tien it is... Thinking about the Niche Citrine in Bronze too. I didn't want 20s but I may get a killer deal on wheels and tires
Keep in mind the Tein Street basis has been updated to the Tein Basis Z, similar in all specs except the Basis Z isn't serviceable, so the price is a bit less (under $500 shipped from some vendors). And if you want a Bronze Niche wheel I'd look at the Niche Form, those Citrines will take forever to clean all those pockets.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:50 PM
r2dmax

Originally Posted by blnewt
Keep in mind the Tein Street basis has been updated to the Tein Basis Z, similar in all specs except the Basis Z isn't serviceable, so the price is a bit less (under $500 shipped from some vendors). And if you want a Bronze Niche wheel I'd look at the Niche Form, those Citrines will take forever to clean all those pockets.
And by "serviceable" you mean?

The wheel is being sold by someone I know. May get wheels and good tires for $600-700
Old 12-16-2016, 12:09 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Meaning they're not rebuildable. Tein was able to save money by making dampers that can't be taken apart and freshened up. It's more expensive to manufacture a shock that can be serviced. With that said, they sell replacement shocks (dampers) for less than $100 each which is less than having serviceable dampers "serviced".
Old 12-16-2016, 12:12 AM
r2dmax

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
Meaning they're not rebuildable. Tein was able to save money by making dampers that can't be taken apart and freshened up. It's more expensive to manufacture a shock that can be serviced. With that said, they sell replacement shocks (dampers) for less than $100 each which is less than having serviceable dampers "serviced".
Oh ok, that makes sense. I can deal with that. They give a good overall ride correct for street use? I carry 3-4 adults regularly too
Old 12-16-2016, 12:15 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Should be fine. They use a 9k/8k spring rate which is the same as the IPL model and it was fairly plush. The weight of 3-4 adults will also "soften" the feel of the suspension somewhat. I don't know what the damping curve looks like on those shocks however.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:02 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Unlike many coilovers the Tein Basis aren't meant for deep drops, a 2" drop would be about the max you should drop on them. If you kee the drop 2" or less the ride quality w/ a car full of passengers should be reasonable. If you drop more than 2" you're outside the coilover "ideal" range and may compromise ride quality and damper longevity.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:11 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
If you pay a bit more you get the tein flex z. Anyone used them? For $800 they seem like great value for money. Also the spring rates are 12k/10k if I'm not mistaken
Old 12-17-2016, 12:26 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

There are a few members who have the Flex Z's, one is local to me but I haven't had a chance to ride in his car yet. It too is a sedan.

A 12/10 setup is about as high as I'd go on the street if you're looking for a marginally comfortable ride (at least in my neck of the woods). I run that with my Aragostas and with the rougher roads, it's borderline. Everywhere else they're pretty sublime. I can soften the dampers up and they'll get close to the stock ride quality but not quite. The IPL uses a 9/8 spring rate and with the IPL dampers, they're ideal for 7/10ths driving with a nod to comfort.

I will say your tire choice also makes quite a difference. I just went from the OEM Bridgestone RE-050a's to Michelin Pilot Super Sports and the difference in compliance between them is quite startling. I feel like I could add three or four clicks in damping just due to the Michelins.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:54 AM
r2dmax

Originally Posted by blnewt
Unlike many coilovers the Tein Basis aren't meant for deep drops, a 2" drop would be about the max you should drop on them. If you kee the drop 2" or less the ride quality w/ a car full of passengers should be reasonable. If you drop more than 2" you're outside the coilover "ideal" range and may compromise ride quality and damper longevity.
Yeah, I'm not looking to slam or "stance" the car. Been there done that on others. As a daily driver it was too much trouble. I want more of an aggressive motorsports-ish look. Function with nice form.

Originally Posted by Presto
If you pay a bit more you get the tein flex z. Anyone used them? For $800 they seem like great value for money. Also the spring rates are 12k/10k if I'm not mistaken
Not sure I would go that high on the SRs. There is tons of construction in our area and it gets bumpy. Haven't decided if I'm going 19 or 20" wheels either. I kind of want a nice 18" staggered wheel with a little sidewall. This is the family's road trip car too, so there's a balance I have to keep.

Does anyone know how often the shocks have to be serviced (well, I guess replaced since they aren't servicable) on the Teins if i stay at within the Optimal drop range?
Old 12-21-2016, 09:57 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
motorsports drop and nice look are achievable with a lowering spring.
I have swift lowering springs on my ipl with ipl shocks and its perfect. feels tight and responsive paired with eibach sways.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:58 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

The IPL dampers are a decent compromise between handling and comfort.

I'd imagine the Tein dampers will need replacing every 60k like any other shock if you want to keep things optimal. Most OEM type shocks start to give up the ghost by that point. The Tein Flex Z uses a lower shock mount to raise and lower the ride height sonthebshock stroke remains the same.

Your tire choice will also make a massive difference in ride quality. I just switched from Bridgestones to Michelins and it's a massive difference.