Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Personal Review on Pilot Sport AS3

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 03:38 AM
photopro
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Personal Review on Pilot Sport AS3

235 55 17 purchased last late summer, approx. 24K miles since then. Handling was superb at all speeds, grip is great in dry or wet and made a decent tire in the snow and this winter was a great test. There were times the treads had snow caked on and reduced grip but they are not a snow tire. Noise level is and has consistently been a 6.5 out of 10. Maybe due to the slightly larger size on a stock rim.
after a year i hve noticed feathering on the edges and particularly more on the driver front. Rotation schedule and alignment done once. That wear has resulted in a whop-whop-whop sound as the tires roll across the wear bars on the edges. Also significant wheel wobble during high speed braking, although distances are very good. Took the car in to the tire shop where purchased and they said, too much tread on the tire to replace, so they were cross rotated to the back and the braking wobble is reduced significantly though still there. Tire noise is also better. The feathering is noticeable during mid high speed cornering. Turn in is still great but you can feel the slight loss of grip due to the edge wear.

The ride is rough at normal speeds but significantly smoother above 65 mph. There is no jitter or loss of traction over bumps and holes but you can definitely feel them.

I will post pics, and keep an eye on the feathering...
Old 09-08-2014, 05:54 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
If you're getting wobble during braking, that's usually a sure fire sign that you need to have your rotors turned. The stock leave deposits on the rotors that need to be removed by having the rotors turned. I suspect that will disappear once you have that done.

Great review on the A/S 3's!

I'm running them on my car and the wet traction is well, let's just say, extremely impressive.