Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Fortune Auto Coilover for G37x - Group Buy Interest

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:30 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Project10
Great. Thought I would bring this up so we can all recieve the best possible options for our coilover setups.
Absolutely without a doubt. Chris at Fortune Auto did also mention we could opt for a Swift Spring upgrade for a more "comfortable" ride. That is something to keep in mind as well.

Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy
awesome thanks for putting this together
Glad to help out. I want coilovers for my X and I'm not paying $1000 for something that isn't backed by a strong standing company. Added you to the list btw.

Originally Posted by Chicagostig
I was just thinking about getting coilovers for my 07 g35x. I'm interested in the group buy. How much is shipping?
Shipping will be determined by the vendor when they get the GB page setup. I will let you all know when that page becomes available. Added you to the list.

Originally Posted by Jethro
I have been a member over there for a long time (had a G35 sedan back in the day), I will make a thread there and see if we have better luck. It may be we have to wait until the official group buy starts before we can make a thread.
If you don't mind doing that, I'd appreciate it a lot. I think it makes sense to put that up when the GB is up and running here.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:46 AM
Project10

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
Absolutely without a doubt. Chris at Fortune Auto did also mention we could opt for a Swift Spring upgrade for a more "comfortable" ride. That is something to keep in mind as well.

Glad to help out. I want coilovers for my X and I'm not paying $1000 for something that isn't backed by a strong standing company. Added you to the list btw.

Shipping will be determined by the vendor when they get the GB page setup. I will let you all know when that page becomes available. Added you to the list.

If you don't mind doing that, I'd appreciate it a lot. I think it makes sense to put that up when the GB is up and running here.
I was actually planing on switching the springs to swift. I've read on other forums that a lot of guys take this option. I found a post on another forum where this guy tests out all kinds of popular springs against the swifts on a spring dyno. Every spring he tested against the swifts had incorrect spring rates posted by the company. Where talking major brands too. The post is a little long, but there's some great info in it.

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Gallery
Swift Springs dynoed

Well I posted on another thread that I would in detail explain the substantial difference between Swift springs, and all other springs. So here it is.

I really don't know where to start with this but Ill just jump into it.
I have tested out many different types of suspension systems. One of the biggest factors in the entire suspension system is of course the Spring.

There are a few factors to look into when it comes to springs.
-stroke
-accuracy of spring rate
-weight

Now I'm sure most of you are aware of the spring binding problem with megan and the BC coilover system. Well that is completely a spring issue, most companies totally cheap out on the springs of the suspension systems especially the more inexpensive ones.

I have dynoed pretty much every springs I can get my hands on. So I can show you the differences of them.

Here is a side by side comparison of the Swift spring and the Megan Coilover spring. You can easily see the difference in the number of coils between the 2. The Megan(black) has many more coils than the Swift(gold). If you were to fully compress both springs the Swift is half the size of the Megan. This means that there is that much more stroke in the spring. Heres the crazy part..... The Swift spring you see there is 10kg/mm, while the Megan is 8kg/mm. You can pretty much put any spring side by side with the Swift and its the same result (Eibach, H&R, Hipercoil, Cross, just to name a few)
-because there is less coils not only is there more stroke, but it is also a lot lighter. (Dammit, I forgot to write down the weight. Ill edit it later with the weight)

this is the 8KG vs the 6KG for the Megan.

This is a spring Dyno. The way I tested these springs is first I converted the spring from KG/mm to lb/in. The way the spring rate works is for example if I had an 8kg spring, it would take 8kg to lower it 1mm, and then it would take another 8kg on top of that to lower it another mm. (sorry if its wordy but I cant explain it any other way)

Well. I definately wasnt going to lower it one millimeter at a time so I converted the KG to LB. The spring on this dyno is 8kg/mm. So after the conversion it was 450lbs/in.
here are the numbers

Megan(8kg. convert 450lbs) 1st inch-494lb, 2nd inch- 551lbs, it didnt even make it to the 3rd inch it was maybe about 2&1/4 of an inch where it maxed and it was already at 594lbs.

Swift (10kg. convert 564lbs) 1st inch- 559lbs, 2nd inch- 564lbs, 3rd inch- 566lbs, 4th inch- maxed. Every inch it was off no more than 5lbs. If that isnt accurate I dont know what is.

I also tested and RECORDED another spring from a higher end coilover called Zeal, who makes there own springs and though it was much better than megan it was again no comparrison.

I just started recording the numbers to show you the difference between the Swift spring and Megans. but I have tested almost every single spring out there. Even the most popular spring company like eibach is off the rate by at least 25lbs.

I've tested everything from Eibach (race springs), Vogtland, Tanabe, Tein. The only company that comes close to the swift springs in accuracy was a company called Hipercoil which was off by 15lbs. But then again had a bunch of coils like the Megan spring.

I couldn't find one single company that has outperformed Swift springs in any categories that I have stated
-weight
-stroke
-spring rate accuracy

This is why I use Swift spring in every single coilover in every single car I own.

--by the way if anyone wants me to test out any spring just ship them to me and I will dyno it for you.
The following 4 users liked this post by Project10:
blnewt (03-09-2014), Coltrane1 (03-16-2017), Jethro (03-10-2014), Sylo (04-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 11:43 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Good stuff Project10, Swift does have a great rep, and for good reason. That's one of the big reasons I recommend Stance SS coils. I may look into replacing the Springs w/ some Swifts for my Megan LPs.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:32 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Group buy is open. Link to access is below!

https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...ml#post3749998
Old 03-12-2014, 04:31 AM
jdubg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add me to the list and pm me
Old 03-14-2014, 08:59 AM
Project10

Is there any info on how close to stock height we can get to with these coilovers?
Old 03-17-2014, 05:20 PM
Jethro
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Is there any info on how close to stock height we can get to with these coilovers?
I'd go check out the group buy thread and call TH Motorsports about it.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:43 PM
Project10

I'd go check out the group buy thread and call TH Motorsports about it.
I actually called Fortune auto about this yesterday. They told me that there still in the development stage with the coilovers but to expect to be 3/4" - 1" lower than stock height at the highest setting.
I also asked what spring rates they recommended for DD use and they said 10k front & 8k rear with the street valving option. They said it would be a good idea to go for the swift spring option for more comfort as well.
They answered the phone really quickly and were ready to answer any questions I had.
The following 3 users liked this post by Project10:
connoisseurr (03-20-2014), Jethro (03-17-2014), PERMAT (03-23-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 12:07 AM
superjer2000

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually called Fortune auto about this yesterday. They told me that there still in the development stage with the coilovers but to expect to be 3/4" - 1" lower than stock height at the highest setting.
I also asked what spring rates they recommended for DD use and they said 10k front & 8k rear with the street valving option. They said it would be a good idea to go for the swift spring option for more comfort as well.
They answered the phone really quickly and were ready to answer any questions I had.
Thanks for answering the height question. I asked it to THM twice (once in a PM and once on here) and didn't get an answer. Out of curiousity, why the requirement to PM for a price anyways? Why wouldn't THM just post the price on the forum (introductory pricing and post-introductory pricing)? What is up with the crazy secrecy??

The introductory pricing didn't seem that crazy, especially to be a guinea pig for these so I think I'll hold off after my disappointment with BC and watching the AMR fiasco unfold.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:53 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

THM won't know specifics. Just give fortune auto a call. They're very helpful.

Also the introductory pricing is very low compared to what they will cost outside of the group buy. You're getting a quality American made product that is made in-house in central VA. I've personally been to their facility and it's top notch.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:20 PM
PERMAT

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hope the highest setting with Swift Springs is 3/4" lower than stock. Then I will definately buy these. Unfortunately, coilovers are not in my mod budget for CY14.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:40 AM
Jethro
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
THM won't know specifics. Just give fortune auto a call. They're very helpful.

Also the introductory pricing is very low compared to what they will cost outside of the group buy. You're getting a quality American made product that is made in-house in central VA. I've personally been to their facility and it's top notch.
Are people expecting like $500 coilovers that are top quality?

The introductory price is really not much more than the couple cheap options already out there on the market. If you get the swift spring upgrade it is a bit more. Yes, we are being guinea pigs to a certain degree, but I am confident in this company based on the other products they make and the reviews. And because we have a car that is not as popular to mod, typically it will cost a little more for some products.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:30 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Are people expecting like $500 coilovers that are top quality?

The introductory price is really not much more than the couple cheap options already out there on the market. If you get the swift spring upgrade it is a bit more. Yes, we are being guinea pigs to a certain degree, but I am confident in this company based on the other products they make and the reviews. And because we have a car that is not as popular to mod, typically it will cost a little more for some products.
I thank you for this because some people just don't understand. Fortune Auto has to redesign the front coilovers as the X models have front drivetrain and the RWD models do not - that's the major difference.

I'm confident that we will receive a completed product that requires zero modifications to make fit. Fortune Auto stands behind all of their products and their customer service could compete with Nordstrom. The fact that I can get these rebuild in the US with US made parts is even more enticing.

It's just a good deal all around IMHO.