Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Whirring noise/Roaring noise. Can it be wheel bearing already?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:59 PM
unknown2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whirring noise/Roaring noise. Can it be wheel bearing already?

Good afternoon.
On my G37xS sedan, I noticed a noise coming from front of my car. It's been there for quite sometime actually.
The noise is typical such as described above in my title. So after tire rotation, I got alignment, tire balance and etc. but the noise is still there without any improvement. So I took it to a dealership to see if this would be something coming from Wheel bearing and hopefully get it covered by warranty - but of course they first recommend changing tires, which I can't disagree because it COULD be the tires. But the dealer was saying that tires are cupped. But I see no sign of cupped when I took a look; none the less, I don't think it's a bad thing to change tires since these are originals but my question to you guys is that --
Isn't cupped tires basically due to lose wheel bearing or in this case wheel bearing assembly?
I would hate to change tires and dealer then says they will look into somewhere else. Could this possibly be rotors? because sometimes my transmission shakes little when I brake and I'm guessing that's my warped rotors (brakes were changed not too long ago)

Dose anyone had this experience/issue or have any quick advise I can try before changing the whole tires? I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wanna know my wheel bearing are good so when my Warranty expires, I am okay!

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2013, 04:22 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
I'm not positive this is the same process for AWD, but for RWD:

lift the wheel in question off the ground with a jack. Grab the tire at 12 and 6, see if you get any play.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:45 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Generally, cupping is caused by bad shocks.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:18 PM
monty2003
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had this same issue on my 2003 G35. Sounded like bad bearings but when measured with a dial indicator all were in spec. Replaced the tires (they were "economy" performance all season tires) and the noise went away. I put another 50,000 miles on the next set (better quality) of tires with no noise.

By the time bearings start growling, they have play. BLamb's suggestion is good but you have to know what to look for because steer slop and natural give of the steering mechanism can act like bearing play.

I had an Integra once that made a growing/humming noise and was able to find plenty of slop with the tire wiggle test. Replaced the bearing and the noise was gone.

How many miles do you have on the car?

Could be suspension causing the potential cupping but unless you have a bunch of miles or a lot of hard miles, it's likely just the tires......

Brian
Old 07-09-2013, 11:53 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Tires can be very noisy....without always showing strange wear patterns. My bet is on the tires.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:57 PM
unknown2k1
Registered Member

Little less than 50k so I doubt bearing for now, leading more towards to tires as well but now the issue is which tires LOL
Old 07-11-2013, 02:37 PM
owslystnly

My michelin PSS's are very noisy now (approaching end of life). My snow tires are quiter.

In the past, I've had a lot more than whirring/roaring noise with a bad bearing. Especially when going around corners. Also accompanied with a slight juddering.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by unknown2k1
Good afternoon.
On my G37xS sedan, I noticed a noise coming from front of my car. It's been there for quite sometime actually.
The noise is typical such as described above in my title. So after tire rotation, I got alignment, tire balance and etc. but the noise is still there without any improvement. So I took it to a dealership to see if this would be something coming from Wheel bearing and hopefully get it covered by warranty - but of course they first recommend changing tires, which I can't disagree because it COULD be the tires. But the dealer was saying that tires are cupped. But I see no sign of cupped when I took a look; none the less, I don't think it's a bad thing to change tires since these are originals but my question to you guys is that --
Isn't cupped tires basically due to lose wheel bearing or in this case wheel bearing assembly?
I would hate to change tires and dealer then says they will look into somewhere else. Could this possibly be rotors? because sometimes my transmission shakes little when I brake and I'm guessing that's my warped rotors (brakes were changed not too long ago)

Dose anyone had this experience/issue or have any quick advise I can try before changing the whole tires? I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wanna know my wheel bearing are good so when my Warranty expires, I am okay!

Thanks!
I had a front right wheel bearing go out at 17k on my '11
Old 07-12-2013, 02:42 PM
unknown2k1
Registered Member

I am not surprised but this donkies at this dealership(not the one i bought my car from) is saying that it's the tires. So before my warranty ends, I wanna change tires and see how it goes. IF NOT, i would have to go back and b1tch but who got time for that really?
Old 10-18-2018, 02:33 PM
nguyem01

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I got this similar noise (Roaring undercarriage) sound like when you go over the bridge, It happen at around 20 to 80 mph and not consistent.
What I replaced so far:
4 new Good Year assurance tires
New Front wheels bearing both side
New Front Pad and Rotor both side
New Front Caliper both side
And the noise still exist, I didn't replaced all the parts above just because of the noise
Any recommend what to inspect next?

2011 Infiniti G37x, 130K miles
Old 10-18-2018, 02:55 PM
Mhang
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure you guys check your power steering fluid level. Mine had the same noise during start up and went away after driving for a minute. Topped off power steering fluid and the sound disappeared.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:48 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
i had to change a front wheel bearing on my X at ~35k. Front wheel bearings on the x model are known to go. Best way to test is to take the car around some sweeping corners and see if the sound is louder turning one way vs another
Old 01-05-2019, 11:03 PM
photopro
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Wheel Bearing on x

Just replaced both front at 105k for the 2nd time. Now i am getting a skip skip sound from the passenger side. Gets faster with speed, hope its not a bad replacement bearing. Bearing was put on properly removing the abs sensor each time to prevent damage. We will look at it again to see if something is obvious.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:43 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Make sure a dust shield isn't bent and contacting the wheel.

[edit]Oops, meant contacting a brake rotor.

Last edited by slartibartfast; 01-07-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:07 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
that does sound like the dust shield got bent and is making contact, just bend it back a few mm so its not contacting any more

Quick Reply: Whirring noise/Roaring noise. Can it be wheel bearing already?