Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Steering wheel shaking and gas pedal vibration at 60mph

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Itchytoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your wheels never need weights and counterweights on the other side. If you do, it just means you added too much weight the first time. An ideally balanced wheel will have a single small area with weights on it. The fewer the better.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:38 AM
Midian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Itchytoe
Your wheels never need weights and counterweights on the other side. If you do, it just means you added too much weight the first time. An ideally balanced wheel will have a single small area with weights on it. The fewer the better.
its possible you could be right.. but i dont think all wheels are the same this is my first set thats had to be like this and i would trust the americas tires guys even though i didnt like them in the past. and it also depends how wide the wheels are. i can see your equation on normal sized wheels not 10.5 inch wheels. Sometimes that little tiny gram might need like a .00023 of a gram to be perfect on the other side. lol
Old 03-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Vector x Prime

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hhhmm I wonder if that is the same for mine?? I have 20 inch Vertini Magics with Hankook tires on it and from 75mph-85mph I would notice a slight vibration. Nothing exaggerating on the steering wheel or gas pedal, but like a slight vibration. Weird. I can be going that fast and my G would vibrate a bit than disappear. As I continue at that rate of speed after a few seconds it will vibrate and than disappear again. Like I said it is not exaggerating, but being the driver I can tell. I got my wheels balanced and they said its ok. My next visit would be to check the alignment. I never did do an alignment with my new wheels. If anyone has encountered this please share. thanks.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:32 PM
Quigs1591

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Vector x Prime
hhhmm I wonder if that is the same for mine?? I have 20 inch Vertini Magics with Hankook tires on it and from 75mph-85mph I would notice a slight vibration. Nothing exaggerating on the steering wheel or gas pedal, but like a slight vibration. Weird. I can be going that fast and my G would vibrate a bit than disappear. As I continue at that rate of speed after a few seconds it will vibrate and than disappear again. Like I said it is not exaggerating, but being the driver I can tell. I got my wheels balanced and they said its ok. My next visit would be to check the alignment. I never did do an alignment with my new wheels. If anyone has encountered this please share. thanks.
Did you ever figure out this issue? I have a quiver in my steering wheel and gas pedal vibrates from 72-82mph and had wheels balanced with road force at 80mph and alignment is still good. I'm on 20's and lowered on eibachs with no camber issues
Old 08-11-2016, 10:25 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Quigs1591
Did you ever figure out this issue? I have a quiver in my steering wheel and gas pedal vibrates from 72-82mph and had wheels balanced with road force at 80mph and alignment is still good. I'm on 20's and lowered on eibachs with no camber issues
Do you have hub adapter rings on your aftermarket wheels? If not, that may cure it or at least improve it.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:27 PM
Quigs1591

I do have hubcentric rings on my wheels. Good call tho, something you don't always think of.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

I do have hubcentric rings on my wheels. Good call tho, something you don't always think of.
Is this vibration new, or has it been around since your new wheel install?
Might have a tire issue, or a wheel that's not sitting 100% true on the hub.
Wouldn't hurt to wire brush all the mounting surfaces, clean off and do a remount, and if you have the plastic hub rings check them for cracking and wear, and upgrade to aluminum ones if they're questionable.

Also, hopefully your tires were mounted w/ the red dot at the valve stem, if not it can make the tire tougher to balance.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:38 PM
JakeG37

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I too have been noticing some vibrations much like the kind you guys are talking about. Its beginning to become more noticeable. The tires are pretty new with about 1500-2000 miles on them. I just had them balanced when I swap out my rotors. I do not have hubcentric rings for my aftermarket rims (Forgestar) which may be part of the issue. I also just hit a nasty pothole yesterday but the vibration has been there for a while.

I guess I need to measure and see what rings to get and then check if I also have a bent rim(s). On another note, do you guys know any chain stores that use Pro-Cut on the wheel brake lathes? I think I may be having some runout issues with my brakes and this is the best way to fix that issue.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:02 PM
Armyed
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just had the same thing with my 12 sedan. Turned out to be the hub bearing was bad. Jack up the front end and put your hands on the top and bottom of the front tires and see if there's excessive movement back and forth. If there is you will need a new bearing.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:56 PM
Quigs1591

brought wheels and tires to an actual performance shop with new hunter road force balancer. no wheel shake or pedal vibration now and I guess it came down to Firestone doesn't hire people who have any clue and you get what you pay for. Thank you XLR8 performance in Branford, CT b/c they fixed it.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:11 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Awesome news Q^^^^
Old 08-25-2016, 12:59 AM
JakeG37

brought wheels and tires to an actual performance shop with new hunter road force balancer. no wheel shake or pedal vibration now and I guess it came down to Firestone doesn't hire people who have any clue and you get what you pay for. Thank you XLR8 performance in Branford, CT b/c they fixed it.
I took my car to the dealer last week and had them check the hub bearings and inspect my brakes. They didnt see any play in the hubs nor did they find any loose linkages. In the end all they did was change my diff fluid with the Motul I gave them. I think the Hunter Road Force balancing might solve my issue also. The last two shops that did it didnt use the road force because of some lame excuse. Will go somewhere more competent. Will also replace my hub rings just because I bought new ones anyway
Old 09-04-2016, 04:26 PM
Jamsey Aimsey

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Bad Vibration and Dents in the rubber inner side wall!!

Hey Guys!!,

I hope some person can help me out. My 08 Coupe is a summer driver, never the winter(I live in Niagara Falls, Canada). I don't put a lot of miles on the car. I've had it for three years and have put just under 30,000 kms (18,600 miles) on it.

I've done a bunch of mods to it,a few are - lowered on Eibach springs, put a set of 4 - 20" Vossen rims on, and a set of Kumho Ecsta SPT tires.

Front: 235 / 30ZR20 88Y and Rear: 255 / 35ZR20 97YXL

The front tires appeared to fit properly but the rear tires were stretched a bit. Apparently Kumho sent the wrong size tires for the rear and when called they said that they don't have any tire that would fit better than what they sent. The tires were balanced and I had an alignment done as well.

For the first two years I had no problems whatsoever with the tires or rims. I occasionally would drive the car a bit spirited, in and out of corners, etc. About 2-3 weeks ago I noticed a slight vibration coming from the passenger side front tire and also a small one from under the driver side. It got slightly more strong and I could feel it badly in the shaking steering wheel and even in my ***, dfrom the seat.

I took it to a tire store and they took the two front tires off and were totally shocked and amazed. Both the rubber inside side walls of both tires and dents in them. And these dents were fairly close to each other and went around the whole inside of the tire!!! They said it looked like there was contact but with as many dents as there was it didn't make sense. They strongly advised that I not drive the car with the tires like this. I came home and parked it in the garage.

I'm baffled though as I have no idea of what happened to these front tires!!!

Any help or insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated. Can someone tell me what the hell happened here!!

Thanks Guys!!!

Nick
Old 09-14-2016, 02:02 AM
JakeG37

Pictures would be nice. No idea what could have caused that.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:46 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

That problem was addressed in another thread (from Jamsey Aimsey).

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shaking and gas pedal vibration at 60mph