Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Review MAC Autosport Suspend and Brake Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 01:27 AM
dal1307

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
MAC Autosport Suspension and Brake Upgrades

I picked my car up today from Mac Autosport (Welcome to MAC Autosport) after my latest round of mods.

Here is a list of what I had installed:
1. DBA 5000 series 2 piece front slotted rotors
2. DBA 4000 series rear slotted rotors
3. Godoridge SS break line kit (From Stillen)
4. Motul RBF600 brake fluid
5. Stillen Sway Bar Set
6. Tein SS-P Coilovers (DSP92-2UAS4) with heim joint uppers
7. Eibach/SPC Rear Control Arms
8. Eibach/SPC Front Upper Control Arms
9. SPC Toe Bolts

Here is my final alignment sheet:

Currently all suspension parts are adjusted to the softest settings. I was in a hurry today and could not stick around to drive and tweak any settings. Even at the current settings, the suspension feels much more solid than stock with a lot less body roll. With these settings, I have quite a bit more oversteer (or less understeer) than stock. While it is much easier to kick the back end out with these setting, the car is still very easy to bring back in line with just a slight reduction in throttle.

High speed stability (120 MPH) during my drive home on the tollway was excellent and overall the car feels much more planted and solid. The factory recommended drop with these coilover (1.38" front, 1.06" rear) is on the conservative end but is right in the range of what I was wanting, which was to get rid of a lot of wheel gap but not be slammed.

The ride from this suspension is stiffer than stock but is definitely not harsh at all. I did notice that I can definietly feel signiticant, harsh road irregularities (i.e. sunken manhole covers) more during high speed manuvering than with the stock suspension. However, the Teins soaked everything up and felt very solid throgh all road conditions. Body roll is significantly reduced and the handling is much sharper.

The brakes have none of that soft spongy feel of the stock sports, initial bite is good, stopping distances seem to have been reduced and there is less noise than with the stock pads and rotors. I am assuming that I will experience more dust compared to the stock setup but feel that this is a very small price to pay for the greatly improved performance.

Once again, I have to thank MAC Autosport for the excellent job they did on the install. Adam, who did the install, always busts his a$$ to make sure that everything is spot on and he did so for me again this time. I love hanging out at their shop as the enthusiasm that everyone has (from Jessi at the fron desk to Nick, their tuner) is awesome. I get a woody everytime I hang out there. Thanks guys for hooking me up once again and I would recommend that anyone in the Denver aarea who wants to have quality work done for upgrades should stop by and talk to Bill and his crew. You will not regret trusting your car to them.

The day I dropped my car off, Nick and I started putting together a plan for swapping out the pulley on my SC kit to get the the boost levels up around 9 PSI. I am currently running the Stillen 9 PSI pulley which gets me right at 7.2 PSI at our altitude. It was great planning with Nick as he gets just as excited (maybe even more so!) about upgrading my car as I do. I will be sure to post up a thread on that project after we get it done. I anticipate that it will be some time in late August.

Overall, I have to say that I am extremely satisfied with my suspension upgrades. Finally, I know that "This Thread is Worthles Without Pictures" but my car is a mess after driving home through intermisttent rain showers. I will post pics in this thread after I get it cleaned up a bit. I will put in some before and after pics so you guys can praise or flame my drop as you see fit.

Cheers,
Dave

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Brakes:

Last edited by dal1307; 06-18-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:53 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Very informative and detailed, thanks for the good read
Old 06-18-2011, 05:38 PM
dal1307

Pictures are up.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:10 PM
dal1307

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Very informative and detailed, thanks for the good read
You are welcom Sam, thanks for taking time to read my novel LOL!
Old 06-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Looks great bud. Thank you for the info too! Man I love blue slate, definitely my close second favorite color for the G.

Any plans for wheels?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:13 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Very nice info... Hows the improvement in braking? You still using stock pads?
Old 06-18-2011, 11:06 PM
dal1307

Originally Posted by Chi-City-G
Looks great bud. Thank you for the info too! Man I love blue slate, definitely my close second favorite color for the G.

Any plans for wheels?
Thanks Chi City. I do have plans for wheels. I am looking at the Advan RZ in Hyper Silver. I need to save up some cash though LOL!
Old 06-18-2011, 11:07 PM
dal1307

Originally Posted by GraphiteG37S
Very nice info... Hows the improvement in braking? You still using stock pads?
Hey Graphite, the improvement seems to be quite a lot but I don't know for sure without measuring stoping distance. The pedal is a lot less mushy and the car seems to stop much quicker. The pads are Hawk HPS. The only thing left stock is the calipers.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:33 PM
dal1307

Bumped up the front sway bar by one notch from the softest setting to dial out a little oversteer. I think it is just about right now, pretty neutral and I have plenty of power to get the tail out when I want.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:13 AM
Kuro
Registered Member

Received 183 Likes on 162 Posts
Have you ever had a problem about brake squeeking before you get aftermarket installed? Do you still have same problem after it get installed?
Old 08-22-2011, 02:19 AM
dal1307

I had a little bit of brake squeaking with the stock rotors and pads. No squeaking now, just a very slight groan when backing out of the drive with the brakes on very lightly. No noise at all under normal driving conditions.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Kuro
Registered Member

Sound good and you feel any difference about braking?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:11 AM
dal1307

Originally Posted by NoirG
Sound good and you feel any difference about braking?
No more squishy pedal with the new lines and the brakes stop like crazy. The ABS can barely keep them from locking up. I don't have any track time on them so I can't speak to fade in a track situation but running around in the hills for some spirited driving I get no fade. Based on the reviews I have read for the HPS pads I believe that there are better alternatives if you plan on spending time at the track but for overall high performance street pads with moderate dust, low noise and decent life and occasionaly track time they seem to be pretty good.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:48 AM
Kuro
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dal1307
No more squishy pedal with the new lines and the brakes stop like crazy. The ABS can barely keep them from locking up. I don't have any track time on them so I can't speak to fade in a track situation but running around in the hills for some spirited driving I get no fade. Based on the reviews I have read for the HPS pads I believe that there are better alternatives if you plan on spending time at the track but for overall high performance street pads with moderate dust, low noise and decent life and occasionaly track time they seem to be pretty good.

Thanks a lot for your response That's definitely a great info
Old 01-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the right up! I'm looking at getting the SS-P as well....I have to give u kudos on the ride height. Looks good, now just get some new wheels on there and you will be mint