Upgrading the original Sport Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 11:50 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Remind me again why your rims have 2 valve stems. Did it have something to do with bleeding out the air to force in nitrogen?
I have 2-piece Works and they have dual stems as well.
I requested outside facing stems when I ordered them.

My guess is they put the inboard stems as standard for people who want a "show" configuration and don't want to interrupt the aesthetics with a stem protruding over a sweet deep dished hoop.

That said, that is the first time I've seen dual valve stems on the outside of a rim.
Interesting!

Dayam did I forget to mention BPC's setup looks f'in awesome?

Last edited by bikezilla; 02-17-2020 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,593 Likes on 3,438 Posts
Appointment made for this install next Monday, May 4th. Virus be damned.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:04 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Appointment made for this install next Monday, May 4th. Virus be damned.
Good, virus be damned is right.

I'm curious to hear if you notice any difference with the weight savings.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:24 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Good, virus be damned is right.

I'm curious to hear if you notice any difference with the weight savings.
My perception is whacked right now, because I'm simply not driving the car any more. With the lock-down, and the long winter, working from home and having all 3 cars available all the time... I'm just not driving it.

I'm feeling, I don't know, almost unqualified for that kind of assessment.

Everything is so fckd up. But screw it all, I'm doing it anyway. At the very least, it will look awesome. And I expect that pulsating pedal feel will be gone, which is good. 45K miles on original brakes and all.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 09:42 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
My perception is whacked right now, because I'm simply not driving the car any more. With the lock-down, and the long winter, working from home and having all 3 cars available all the time... I'm just not driving it.

I'm feeling, I don't know, almost unqualified for that kind of assessment.

Everything is so fckd up. But screw it all, I'm doing it anyway. At the very least, it will look awesome. And I expect that pulsating pedal feel will be gone, which is good. 45K miles on original brakes and all.
I know the feeling, I did a BBK swap and all I can really do is stand in the garage and think 'that looks awesome'

You getting the brake fluid flushed/bled while you're at it?
Old 04-29-2020, 09:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I know the feeling, I did a BBK swap and all I can really do is stand in the garage and think 'that looks awesome'

You getting the brake fluid flushed/bled while you're at it?
Yes, new fluid. It's been 3 years since the last flush.

I was originally thinking SS brake lines as part of this project, but have put that on the shelf for future consideration.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:46 PM
Dentt42
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, new fluid. It's been 3 years since the last flush.

I was originally thinking SS brake lines as part of this project, but have put that on the shelf for future consideration.
I've been thinking about stainless lines for some time, but may shelve that idea myself as well. It seems like perceived improvement is coming mostly from the fact that the installer had to bleed the lines.

They haven't been mentioned in this thread, but I had excellent results with EBC Yellow pads on the front. The bite is amazing compared to the stock Akebono pads that were on there. My rear pads don't need changing at all, but I was thinking about swapping those to the Yellows because I liked them so much.

2012 G37S 2WD, by the way.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:16 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Dentt42
I've been thinking about stainless lines for some time, but may shelve that idea myself as well. It seems like perceived improvement is coming mostly from the fact that the installer had to bleed the lines.

They haven't been mentioned in this thread, but I had excellent results with EBC Yellow pads on the front. The bite is amazing compared to the stock Akebono pads that were on there. My rear pads don't need changing at all, but I was thinking about swapping those to the Yellows because I liked them so much.

2012 G37S 2WD, by the way.
I have put stainless brake lines on just about every car I have owned for the last 20+ years and there is a noticeable difference in pedal feel. However, it is probably overkill for the street. They are very useful (almost necessary) on the track though since they provide a much more consistent and reliable brake pedal feel.

How are your EBC pads for dust compared to stock? I got the street version of our Akebono pads since they were ridiculously cheap and I was pleasantly surprised that they seem to dust even less than stock with a very similar feel.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:21 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 186 Posts
Don't want to thread jack but what would you guys recommend for rotors/pads? I don't do any track racing.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RobC7
Don't want to thread jack but what would you guys recommend for rotors/pads? I don't do any track racing.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rochester:
kb24mvp (04-30-2020), Lego_Maniac (04-30-2020), ngolbuff (05-01-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 04:46 PM
kb24mvp
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
In for results, I'm waiting for the next big sale from Z1 besides free shipping right now. Would love to type in COVID19 as promo code and get $200 off for rotors
Old 05-01-2020, 08:07 AM
Dentt42
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I have put stainless brake lines on just about every car I have owned for the last 20+ years and there is a noticeable difference in pedal feel. However, it is probably overkill for the street. They are very useful (almost necessary) on the track though since they provide a much more consistent and reliable brake pedal feel.

How are your EBC pads for dust compared to stock? I got the street version of our Akebono pads since they were ridiculously cheap and I was pleasantly surprised that they seem to dust even less than stock with a very similar feel.
I did stainless lines on my WRX some years back, and it the pedal was indeed solid when I was done. I have a feeling I’ll eventually give in and get a set for the G37.

The EBCs dusted like crazy bedding in, but the Yellows have a top layer to the friction material that helps prep the rotor surface by essentially sanding it as it quickly wears off. I just gave the wheels a thorough cleaning two days ago, and will be able to get a feel for how they are in the coming weeks.

The coating sure seems to do its job though, because the rotor surface lost the uneven dark rings that were forming from the previous pads. So far, they’re definitely worth the higher price.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:28 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Just to be clear, I'm not dismissing the use of SS brake lines in a daily driven G, I'm simply categorizing it as a potential, future mod.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:49 AM
Big Jaw
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikezilla
Count me in.

only think I would change if I was Z1 was to mask the area were the fastener flange will sit. The coating will br damaged on high temperatures and the fastener clamping force will be reduced. It is not a good practice to paint the area were there will be a fastener and heat.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:51 PM
Dentt42
Registered Member

Just to be clear, I'm not dismissing the use of SS brake lines in a daily driven G, I'm simply categorizing it as a potential, future mod.
I guessed as much. I also have to be clear that I'm largely on the fence about installing them because bleeding the brakes on these cars is kind of a PITA.
(yes, I know how to do it, but I don't like to)

Quick Reply: Upgrading the original Sport Brakes