Front end-links keep breaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 08:37 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
I guess when these blow I will swap to SPL. Can't really return them now that they have been on the car for a while. The SPL look way more beefy so hopefully those last longer. What did you do with the length? Did you have to extend, or shorten them?
Also what did you set your bars too? I have the front on the less stiff setting and the rear on the stiffest setting.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:46 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I think I had my bars set up the same way, but I was experimenting with this a bit. I meant to make some more adjustments at home yesterday, but I think I inadvertently pre-loaded them by jacking up one side first in my garage (since I don't have a lift). The fine tuning will have to wait until I can get back on a lift at work.

To get them parallel you just make sure the spacers are on the correct side of the sway bar. The length you just adjust so that they slide right into the sway bar slots- so you don't pre-load them.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:47 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
Also what did you set your bars too? I have the front on the less stiff setting and the rear on the stiffest setting.
Wait, you have different holes to adjust the stiffness of the front sway bar? Mine only has one setting. Maybe that is an AWD thing?
Old 11-14-2018, 03:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Wait, you have different holes to adjust the stiffness of the front sway bar? Mine only has one setting. Maybe that is an AWD thing?
Eibach sways have two settings on the front bar.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:15 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
hoptchkis front bars also have two settings for AWD..I just switched to softer on the weekend after running on the harder one for the last few years...I don't know if the new shocks that went in at the same time or the softer setting but the car is much more gentle over bumps and seems to have a tiny bit more body roll
Old 11-14-2018, 06:02 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Yeah, I have two holes on the front and three on the rear bars.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:23 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Aww, you AWD guys get all the fun. My Hotchkis sways only have one mounting point on the front bar. Not like it needs any adjustment. That bar is HUGE!!
Old 11-15-2018, 07:40 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Aww, you AWD guys get all the fun. My Hotchkis sways only have one mounting point on the front bar. Not like it needs any adjustment. That bar is HUGE!!
lolz, that extra hole is like the ONE thing we get over the RWD cars
Old 11-15-2018, 08:25 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Hashim
IDK about that. The only time I drove an AWD G37 was five or six years ago, when the car was in the shop and they gave me an X for a loaner. There was a torrential rain that day, so naturally I drove it like I stole it, LOL. Anyway, this AWD G was a hero for traction out of the hole at full throttle. I was pretty impressed.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-15-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:59 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

actually you're right about that, the AWD G is the safest feeling car I've ever driven. Maybe I should limit my comment to when it comes to fun aftermarket stuff
Old 11-16-2018, 12:09 AM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
Not sure about all the fun. From what I hear from the guys that update suspension parts on the X, there is much less choice. Also, need to make sure exhausts clear the transfer case (Ark is universal for X and nonX now). I agree that wet, hole shots are fun (giggity). I also look forward to not spinning your blizzak tires/wheel combo due to me having AWD and also not the cool upgraded gears
Old 11-16-2018, 10:50 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hashim
Well, that and AWD. I'm glad you got my joke.

Originally Posted by ngolbuff
Not sure about all the fun. From what I hear from the guys that update suspension parts on the X, there is much less choice. Also, need to make sure exhausts clear the transfer case (Ark is universal for X and nonX now). I agree that wet, hole shots are fun (giggity). I also look forward to not spinning your blizzak tires/wheel combo due to me having AWD and also not the cool upgraded gears
You are right about the suspension choices. Although us RWD guys are really just stuck with trying to make parts for the 370Z work with our much heavier cars.

I would love to have ATESSA-ETS AWD this winter, but not the added weight. Do you guys have any snow in MN yet? We have only had a few dustings- maybe an inch once or twice. I am itching to see if these new WS80 tires are any better than the ones you have. They sure squirm a lot more on dry pavement- probably mainly due to being brand new with full tread depth.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:35 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

The traction on the AWD G is really something impressive, as well as how easily it puts the power down while pulling out of corners. Although, i've never driven a RWD sport G so I really don't know what i'm missing out on.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:57 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
The traction on the AWD G is really something impressive, as well as how easily it puts the power down while pulling out of corners. Although, i've never driven a RWD sport G so I really don't know what i'm missing out on.
You are probably missing out on steering feel. That is the first thing I noticed in this car coming from a number of AWD cars in my past- how organic and crisp the steering was. This is even compared to my '14 Evo which is supposed to be one of the best handling AWD cars. Obviously I don't have the AWD messing up the feel, but I think the double wishbone front suspension helps quite a bit. Very few cars in this price range have this type of suspension (thanks 370Z carryover parts).

The ATESSA-ETS AWD system is supposed to be RWD based, but I bet I can still throttle steer my RWD G around corners better than one with AWD trying to correct my yaw angles.

AWD would definitely be nice for me starting out in the winter. I have the Z1 400 hp package and shorter rear gears so I am noticing with my new super soft snow tires I am able to get the TCS light to come on in the first 4 gears on dry pavement without even flooring it. Fortunately, my summer tires are sticky enough that it hooks up just fine when starting out.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:16 PM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
SPL is great! Is it over kill? Probably. But suspension no place to skimp. I’ve had no issues with hotschkis sways and spl end links on my x sedan. Over a year of aggressive driving on street and track. No issues relating to that in many many miles of abuse. Just my actual experience. I’d say it’s worth it. Ya it’s expensive but you won’t keep breaking them. Ask for them for Christmas so you don’t feel bad for how much overkill it is. Not sure there’s anything negative with spl parts other than price....takes suspension to next level forsure

Quick Reply: Front end-links keep breaking