Help with Creaking suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 03:15 PM
Caffeine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Creaking suspension

Good day everyone! Hope everyone is having a great start to their week!

I've been having an issue the last few days with my front drivers side suspension creaking like crazy when driving at a fairly low speed <30mph and going over small bumps in the road. The sound only recently started happening and it is usually only noticeable when it is HOT out. Im in Brooklyn and last week we had multiple 95 degree plus days. The Friday when the temp was 73ish the sound was no longer noticeable.

This lead to me to some research and its probably a bushing. I took off my driver side wheel over the weekend and sprayed down every bushing with AT-205 Re-Seal as i saw this problem remedied on youtube. I didn't hear it that day as it was colder but then heard it the day after when it was hot again. Took it to a mechanic, he confirmed that its definitely a bushing but that no mechanic would be able to specifically tell you which bushing it is and that i should try spraying them with WD-40.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Maybe reccomend a spray or something to use to lubricate the bushings? The only bushing i didnt spray was the one on the front sway bar, I think that may be the one. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've also attached a photo of something in the suspension that didnt look right, I wonder if you guys can help with that too. Looks like the bushing has a gap or something.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Or... your front shock is squeaking. I went nuts for about a year with an intermittent squeak that eventually became persistent. In my case it was one of the rear shocks, even after a reputable shop convinced me it was the upper mount bushing, and then maybe the lower shock bushings.

Stuff like this can get expensive when you start throwing money at things you think it can be.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:29 PM
Caffeine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats the issue :/ The mechanic told me you can go to the best mechanic in the world and nobody will be able to tell you exactly what the sound is. Is there any way to know if its the shocks?

Last edited by Caffeine; 09-04-2018 at 04:32 PM. Reason: words
Old 09-04-2018, 07:38 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Caffeine
Thats the issue :/ The mechanic told me you can go to the best mechanic in the world and nobody will be able to tell you exactly what the sound is. Is there any way to know if its the shocks?
Short of removing the shocks and compressing them by hand... nope. You could try to zero in with a listening tool, but sound like that travels around the suspension.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Caffeine (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 07:39 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
It could be any number of things. On my car squeaks have come and gone over the years... once it was the sway bar mounts, once the endlinks, another time it was the shocks.
The way I always pinpoint it is jack up the car, take off the wheel, stick a long crowbar through a suspension arm and move the suspension up and down while looking / listening for any issues.
The following users liked this post:
Caffeine (09-04-2018)