3rd set of rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 08:17 PM
ross7778

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3rd set of rear brakes

2012 G37x with 57,000 miles

Yesterday my left rear brake started to make a grinding sound when applied at low speeds then a high pitched scraping sound after speeding up from a stop.

I had no choice but to take it somewhere to have it checked out as the grinding sound was getting worse. I ended up taking to a Nissan dealer nearby.

They told me the rear brakes had almost zero life. They replaced the pads and resurfaced the rotors for $288.

I can't say I've ever had a vehicle go through so many brake pads. This will be the 3rd set on the rear. I'm still on my originals in the front.

Is this typical or am I driving too aggressively? I don't feel like I am.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:10 PM
misc
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Either youre driving or sub-par brakes being used, i'm at 43k and all 4 pads original, though they are at the end of their life
Old 08-03-2018, 10:15 PM
ross7778

Originally Posted by misc
Either youre driving or sub-par brakes being used, i'm at 43k and all 4 pads original, though they are at the end of their life
The last set was replaced at the Infiniti dealer with stock pads at 32,000 miles. The last time I was there for a different service the tech told me the rears were smaller/thinner than the front pads. Not sure if that's true.

I usually equate the front pads wearing fast with rough driving/hard braking.

I do live in MN and the winters are pretty harsh so I assume the traction control has something to do with the wear?

Last edited by ross7778; 08-03-2018 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Added mileage for brake replacement.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:05 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head. You could also have the rear calipers refreshed to make sure the pistons are retracting properly and the slide pins allow free movement.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:21 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
You could also have the rear calipers refreshed to make sure the pistons are retracting properly and the slide pins allow free movement.
I would take a look at this to see if those slide pins are getting stuck. Living in MN I imagine that all salt and chemicals that are used to treat the roads can be rough on those parts (I know here in PA its not great). If they start to rust or corrode they can bind which will not only chew through pads quickly but also prematurely wear down your rotors. I have the sport brakes and had slides corrode and ended up burning through pads and rotor on one corner. Its an easy fix but can get costly. I make sure that I regularly check to make sure everything is functioning properly.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:27 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Toss it sideways to slowdown and save the brakes!
Old 08-03-2018, 11:34 PM
ross7778

Originally Posted by KidJai06
I would take a look at this to see if those slide pins are getting stuck. Living in MN I imagine that all salt and chemicals that are used to treat the roads can be rough on those parts (I know here in PA its not great). If they start to rust or corrode they can bind which will not only chew through pads quickly but also prematurely wear down your rotors. I have the sport brakes and had slides corrode and ended up burning through pads and rotor on one corner. Its an easy fix but can get costly. I make sure that I regularly check to make sure everything is functioning properly.
I didn't think to ask about the pins. Does the dealer typically check the pin and caliper function?
Old 08-03-2018, 11:52 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by ross7778
I didn't think to ask about the pins. Does the dealer typically check the pin and caliper function?
I'd like to think that they would but you'd have to check with them. I typically check for even wear on my pads. If one pad or one corner is much different than the other then I can more readily identify a problem. If they just wear quickly, but evenly I'd be less suspicious of the calipers and perhaps look for a different pad that is more suitable to driving style.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:55 PM
ross7778

Originally Posted by KidJai06
I'd like to think that they would but you'd have to check with them. I typically check for even wear on my pads. If one pad or one corner is much different than the other then I can more readily identify a problem. If they just wear quickly, but evenly I'd be less suspicious of the calipers and perhaps look for a different pad that is more suitable to driving style.
You'd think they would so they could find more things to change me for....

They did say my power steering fluid was dirty and offered to flush it for $152. I passed.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:19 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
2012 G37x with 57,000 miles

Yesterday my left rear brake started to make a grinding sound when applied at low speeds then a high pitched scraping sound after speeding up from a stop.

I had no choice but to take it somewhere to have it checked out as the grinding sound was getting worse. I ended up taking to a Nissan dealer nearby.

They told me the rear brakes had almost zero life. They replaced the pads and resurfaced the rotors for $288.

I can't say I've ever had a vehicle go through so many brake pads. This will be the 3rd set on the rear. I'm still on my originals in the front.

Is this typical or am I driving too aggressively? I don't feel like I am.
Not typical in my experience.
On my previous 06 G35 6 speed manual the original brake pads and rotors were turned at the dealer at 86k miles. Those pads were still on the vehicle when I traded it in at 171794 miles for my 2012 G37S 6 speed..
On my 2012 G37S at an oil change at the dealer at 82.6k miles their inspection told me I still had 10mm on both front brake pads and 8mm left on both rear pads.
I traded that vehicle in at 94444 miles for my present Q70 and the original brake pads were still on that vehicle.

You may not feel you are driving aggressively but it sure seems like it with such a short life on brake pads.
BTW my local Infiniti dealer charges $279.00 per axle to replace pads and turn the rotors.

Telcoman
Old 08-04-2018, 12:28 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
On my previous 06 G35 6 speed manual the original brake pads and rotors were turned at the dealer at 86k miles. Those pads were still on the vehicle when I traded it in at 171794 miles for my 2012 G37S 6 speed..
On my 2012 G37S at an oil change at the dealer at 82.6k miles their inspection told me I still had 10mm on both front brake pads and 8mm left on both rear pads.
I traded that vehicle in at 94444 miles for my present Q70 and the original brake pads were still on that vehicle.

Telcoman
Dude, you need to get over 30 mph. You are not coming anywhere near the potential of the vehicle if your brakes are lasting that long.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:33 PM
yoda466
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman

You may not feel you are driving aggressively but it sure seems like it with such a short life on brake pads.
BTW my local Infiniti dealer charges $279.00 per axle to replace pads and turn the rotors.

Telcoman
Good to hear that I am not the only person who gets pretty long life out of brakes. But, I am definitely not an aggressive driver (on average). I replaced my original rear pads at 85k. I bought OEM pads online for $65 and changed them myself. The rotors were fine so I left them alone. Inspection of the front pads at that time showed over 50% life still remaining. Rears wearing faster than fronts appears to be normal on these cars. I won’t be spending much on brakes on this car. But obviously - YMMV.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:02 PM
ross7778

Those of you getting long life out of your brakes, where do you live?

My traction control activates a lot in the winter in MN, even with snow tires. And this past winter was brutal.

Every time the traction control comes on, the rear brakes are being used to control spin.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:04 PM
ross7778

Originally Posted by yoda466

Good to hear that I am not the only person who gets pretty long life out of brakes. But, I am definitely not an aggressive driver (on average). I replaced my original rear pads at 85k. I bought OEM pads online for $65 and changed them myself. The rotors were fine so I left them alone. Inspection of the front pads at that time showed over 50% life still remaining. Rears wearing faster than fronts appears to be normal on these cars. I won’t be spending much on brakes on this car. But obviously - YMMV.
I’ve never gotten 85k out of brakes on any vehicle. You must drive very carefully or mostly highway miles.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:09 PM
yoda466
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Those of you getting long life out of your brakes, where do you live?

My traction control activates a lot in the winter in MN, even with snow tires. And this past winter was brutal.

Every time the traction control comes on, the rear brakes are being used to control spin.
You are correct. I don’t drive much in snow or icy conditions. That would definitely make a difference.

Quick Reply: 3rd set of rear brakes