Best suspension setup for a daily driver with some track use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Nathan Chisholm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best suspension setup for a daily driver with some track use?

hey everyone,

been browsing this forum quite a bit this past week to try and get some info but couldn’t specifically find what I was looking for. I have a ‘14 q60s (so basically a g37s coupe) and I daily it. I also have tracked it once and plan on doing that about 3-6 times a year. Anyways, I’m looking for a good suspension setup that won’t break the bank, won’t be too stiff for dd use, and will be able to handle at the track. I am between KW V1s and just getting Koni yellows with swift sport springs at the moment. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

nathan
Old 02-03-2018, 03:40 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 837 Likes on 716 Posts
There is no such thing for the G. There are a lot of coil-overs out there but most are built to a price point which compromises their track capability. Buyers want slam, not supple damping. Or, the dampers are made for the Z which causes a droppy butt problem when installed on the G.

Look to European companies for real track-capable dampers. And check out the coil-over redux thread for a nearly exhaustive list of coil-overs out there. The thread indicates sedan but they all fit the coupe, too.

I just stumbled upon MeisterR, I just might buy a set as I track my sedan a bit. My 2nd choice would be Aragosta. They are out of Japan but appear to have AST internals. I want to like the Bilstein PSS10 but balk at the progressive-rate springs in the rear.

HTH.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:25 PM
user 3587587
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
fortune auto 500 series is really good from what I've heard. You could probably get some bilstein or koni shocks.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:14 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Your #1 Infiniti Vendor!

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
The BC with swift is a good setup.. Contact us for pricing.

-Josh
Old 02-03-2018, 09:44 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I have the Swift/Koni setup. I like it a lot for exactly the same application that you want it for. I couldn't be happier, and I have had coilovers and driven friends' G's with various other coilover setups.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:51 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by maskedbuilder
fortune auto 500 series is really good from what I've heard. You could probably get some bilstein or koni shocks.
And if you don't like exactly what Fortune offers, Broadway Static will change springs to your spec and set damping accordingly.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:46 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
And to compound the problem, a lot of suspensions can be tuned to suit your personal driving style, other mods you have on the car, the specific tracks that you go to, and anything in between.

I think you will need to be more specific in exactly what you want to even begin to lead you in a direction which will suit your specific needs.

I daily my car (30K+ miles/year) and also attend multiple track days each year. I use a cheap set of Taiwanese single adjustable coils (your low-mid level BC Racing/Megan/equivalent), and they handle and ride fine. No, they're not KWV3s, but at the price point and my frequency of use, it is acceptable. They are a 14kg/mm front / 8kg/mm progressive in the rear.

That being said, I am on stock sway bars, mildly lowered, 0 toe, more camber, and have wider tires all around (with way more tire in the front) that are also way stickier than stock. I also have my suspension set up for stiffer compression/rebound in the front (they're single adjustable, so they do both at the same time) and relatively soft in the rear. Despite what you would think (massive understeer), it works for me and my driving style on the track and results in a car that I can point at a corner and put my foot the floor without any hesitation.

There's plenty of various 370z threads that try to address the various needs of people, and also those they dive deeply into the world of roll centers, valving for various coilovers, the pros/cons of monotube vs. multitube dampers, etc.

What I'm trying to say is that you need to decide what you want to get exactly out of your car, your budget, and what you expect your car to do. Then we can suggest your way into something that fits that criteria.
The following users liked this post:
slartibartfast (02-05-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 02:02 PM
sr20dehauler
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I have the Swift/Koni setup. I like it a lot for exactly the same application that you want it for. I couldn't be happier, and I have had coilovers and driven friends' G's with various other coilover setups.
Didn't you sell your G37? If not I would love to take a ride in yours because I'm trying to decide on a suspension setup that is not too jarring for my fellow car poolers.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:05 PM
sr20dehauler
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
There is no such thing for the G. There are a lot of coil-overs out there but most are built to a price point which compromises their track capability. Buyers want slam, not supple damping. Or, the dampers are made for the Z which causes a droppy butt problem when installed on the G.

Look to European companies for real track-capable dampers. And check out the coil-over redux thread for a nearly exhaustive list of coil-overs out there. The thread indicates sedan but they all fit the coupe, too.

I just stumbled upon MeisterR, I just might buy a set as I track my sedan a bit. My 2nd choice would be Aragosta. They are out of Japan but appear to have AST internals. I want to like the Bilstein PSS10 but balk at the progressive-rate springs in the rear.

HTH.
Why is the MeisterR coilover your 1st pick?
Old 02-10-2018, 02:23 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Though based in England, they have an office (in Montgomery) 60 miles from me and they make all their own parts. No Asian internals for me, thank you very much. While they have a "low-cost" version at $1k for the V36, it's the Z34 damper and they spec 10k/8k rates which are just too soft for the heavier V36. They offer custom dampers, too, and that's what I'm going to get. Rates of 12k/10k and damping to suit.
The following users liked this post:
sr20dehauler (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 03:10 PM
sr20dehauler
Registered Member

Those rates are close to stock, right? I don't track so those might be the ones for me. I'm looking for stock comfort with a 1" mild drop and matching springs/dampers. Have you been to their office. I live in Houston also.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:53 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Jerrick, their front man, has been in England. When he's back, I'm going to take a drive up there. From what I understand, the stock G spring rates are 8.5k/8k. I don't see the Z rates as being a large enough change to be worthwhile.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:39 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by sr20dehauler
Didn't you sell your G37? If not I would love to take a ride in yours because I'm trying to decide on a suspension setup that is not too jarring for my fellow car poolers.
No. Sold my wife's G sedan and bought a GS350. I still have my G although it has been sitting idle for a long time.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:11 PM
Nathan Chisholm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For anyone still interested, I ended up biting the bullet and went for the KWV3s back in March of 2018. Since then, I've had two shocks blow seals (one in the front one in the rear). Thought the first time around was a fluke deal but it just happened again. Buyer beware.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:10 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Nathan Chisholm
For anyone still interested, I ended up biting the bullet and went for the KWV3s back in March of 2018. Since then, I've had two shocks blow seals (one in the front one in the rear). Thought the first time around was a fluke deal but it just happened again. Buyer beware.
I'm at 108,000 miles on my Taiwanese set, which cost $700. Your mileage might vary, haha. Gone to the track on them?

Quick Reply: Best suspension setup for a daily driver with some track use?