Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Feal 441 Coilovers for g37x sedan

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 08:09 PM
Jake85

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Feal 441 Coilovers for g37x sedan

This is my first set of coilovers. I have always just gone with lowering springs in the past and they have served me well and always improved handling significantly. I had Swifts on my g37xS sedan for about four months before making this switch. The change to coilovers from lowering springs is massive. Now having a proper suspension set up its clear coilovers are on a different playing field. My mechanic friend had installed the coilovers along with spc front and rear cambers arms so he didnt have time to get the coilovers to the right height. The car was slammed and for one day I drove it. It was terrible. I was scraping everything and I was extremely anxiety ridden while driving. I should also mention the coilovers were set to their middle setting and that it was jarringly stiff. There were some scary sounds coming from the car and you could feel the hits from the stiffness of the suspension in your seat. The next day he dialed it in to the perfect height and I also asked him to soften the coilovers 5 clicks from the middle, (a minor adjustment). It was immediately, soooooooo much better, it was like a 180 degree change. The ride became compliant yet taut, soaking up road imperfections of all sizes without skipping a beat. The cars new ability to really be thrown into corners and keep it's composure, tires engaged with the asphalt is astonishing. I am still blown away by this new found handling prowess in addition to it having such a supple ride. I also have Hotchkis sway bars installed which I had my mechanic set back to the softer settings, the rear one is in the middle setting. The car feels like and is now a much more sophisticated and competent machine and I couldn't be happier with the purchase. All Feal suspension comes with Swift springs as standard as well which is awesome. The rating for this kit was of their choosing and is 12k-5k. I purchased from Feal directly and the customer service was great the whole way through and they were dead on with the timeline they initially gave me. They had to order in the parts since all their coilover kits are built in house. It took 3 weeks. They were delivered to my door by the beginning of week 4. Hope you enjoyed my review.

The first photo is when it was slammed for a day
Attached Thumbnails Feal 441 Coilovers for g37x sedan-co3.jpg   Feal 441 Coilovers for g37x sedan-co2.jpg   Feal 441 Coilovers for g37x sedan-slammed.jpg   Feal 441 Coilovers for g37x sedan-proper2.jpg   Feal 441 Coilovers for g37x sedan-co.jpg  

Feal 441 Coilovers for g37x sedan-img_2069.jpg  

Last edited by Jake85; 08-17-2017 at 06:38 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jake85:
-ZS-Carpenter (04-01-2018), blnewt (08-17-2017), Coltrane1 (08-28-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 12:13 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Great job w/ the details & pics, please keep us posted over time how you're liking it and if you make any other adjustments to height, damper settings, alignment.

Looks like a great option for X owners, and hopefully they have RWD coilovers coming our way too!
Old 08-17-2017, 11:54 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Good stuff. I still have to dial in my 442's and track them to write my review. I'll be doing another time attack this Saturday so I'll be able to contribute to the FEAL reviews. @blnewt they have some listed for the RWD guys/gals as well!
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 12:25 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Lt8Che
Good stuff. I still have to dial in my 442's and track them to write my review. I'll be doing another time attack this Saturday so I'll be able to contribute to the FEAL reviews. @blnewt they have some listed for the RWD guys/gals as well!
Looked at their site and it lists G35 & G37 sets but doesn't clarify which models but lists the same spring rates, do they just cover all models and when you specify your model they send out the proper set?
http://fealsuspensionstore.com/produ...-infiniti-g37/

FWIW I don't recall seeing any other coilover sets with such a soft rear spring rate, 5k seems even lower than OEM, maybe they're on to something???
Old 08-17-2017, 01:43 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Looked at their site and it lists G35 & G37 sets but doesn't clarify which models but lists the same spring rates, do they just cover all models and when you specify your model they send out the proper set?
Feal 441 Coilovers, 08-13 Infiniti G37 | Feal Suspension, Inc. Race Proven Suspension Technology

FWIW I don't recall seeing any other coilover sets with such a soft rear spring rate, 5k seems even lower than OEM, maybe they're on to something???

For me they custom spec'd all the items (spring rates/valving/etc...) when ordering. I know that my spring rates were pretty high in comparison to standard due to road racing/time attack.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:53 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Wow. 5k is softer than stock.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:41 PM
Jake85

Going to have my Hotchkis sways put back on the stiffest setting. There is only slight body roll but its too soft for my liking now in combination with the coilovers. I like being able to push the car in corners and have it just be completely flat in its behavior.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:04 PM
Jake85

Originally Posted by mjnoles1
Are all your pics of when the car was slammed for 4 days? Do you have any pics of when it was the height you are driving on now?

Also, startibartfast and blnewt. It seems you both are surprised by the spring rate as they are lower than OEM. Do you happen to know around what the G37x spring rate is from the factory?
As it says in the post, the first pic is when it was slammed for a day. The rest are how it sits now.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:38 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by mjnoles1
startibartfast and blnewt. It seems you both are surprised by the spring rate as they are lower than OEM. Do you happen to know around what the G37x spring rate is from the factory?
Not for sure, but the Tein Basis Z coils are 9kg front 8kg rear and these are the softest spring rates for the RWD coilovers.

Tein H Tech are the softest lowering springs at 5.8k F/4.7k R bit these are RWD specific.
Tanabe NF210 lowering springs are very close to OEM rates and a pretty soft aftermarket spring, it's a 7.6k F/7.2k R but this is for all G models (except convertible).
This is just an assumption but something in the 6.5 to 7.5k range would seem to be a reasonable figure.

I haven't checked in some time, but the RWD coupe OEM rates are 8.5k/8.2k
the IPL a bit stiffer in front and a bit softer in back at 9.8Kg front, 8.02kg

I seriously doubt the OEM rates for the AWD version would be over 3kg softer than a RWD coupe.

Last edited by blnewt; 09-05-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:33 PM
Jake85

Originally Posted by blnewt
Not for sure, but the Tein Basis Z coils are 9kg front 8kg rear and these are the softest spring rates for the RWD coilovers.

Tein H Tech are the softest lowering springs at 5.8k F/4.7k R bit these are RWD specific.
Tanabe NF210 lowering springs are very close to OEM rates and a pretty soft aftermarket spring, it's a 7.6k F/7.2k R but this is for all G models (except convertible).
This is just an assumption but something in the 6.5 to 7.5k range would seem to be a reasonable figure.

I haven't checked in some time, but the RWD coupe OEM rates are 8.5k/8.2k
the IPL a bit stiffer in front and a bit softer in back at 9.8Kg front, 8.02kg

I seriously doubt the OEM rates for the AWD version would be over 3kg softer than a RWD coupe.
So I contacted Mike from Feal to clear up some of the confusion. His response was as follows

"Hi Jake,

The number might seem low compared to the rates for spring in the stock location, however these rate values are not directly comparable to a true rear coilover. The closer to the wheel a spring is moved the more leverage it has on the suspension which means a lower spring rate will yield the same effect as a higher rate at a further inboard location. Just as an example, say the rate of the OE location is 10k, to get the same effect with a true rear coilover the spring rate would only need to be 5k. These are not exact figures but taking the motion ratio at the 2 points will tell me what the spring rate conversion would be.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me."

Thanks,
Mike Monterone
Feal Suspension, Inc.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jake85:
-ZS-Carpenter (04-01-2018), blnewt (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 08:26 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

True coil-over. I missed that part. 5k sounds reasonable in that case.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:47 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

I bypassed that info too, thanks for the clarity Jake and appreciate you taking the time to find out the specifics regarding that spring rate.
Good info!
Jake85 (09-06-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 10:28 PM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks for the write up! A few questions:

1. Do they fit the AWD sedan? I got a 2011 G37x awd

2. Would you say the ride is more comfortable than Swift’s? I’m currently on Swift’s and hotchkis with stock struts.

3. How easy is it to lower/raise the coil overs? Really looking to bring it up if needed. Debating between this and bags.

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:07 AM
13BlackG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running the same setup and have the same question. I will likely go to coils eventually.

Originally Posted by djdiskino
Thanks for the write up! A few questions:

1. Do they fit the AWD sedan? I got a 2011 G37x awd

2. Would you say the ride is more comfortable than Swift’s? I’m currently on Swift’s and hotchkis with stock struts.

3. How easy is it to lower/raise the coil overs? Really looking to bring it up if needed. Debating between this and bags.

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2017, 01:06 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

You guys didn't read this thread. First post has photos of the OP's SEDAN. Thread title even says SEDAN.
Jake85 (09-14-2017)