Best way to lower a 2014 Q60s/ g37. Coilovers or Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 09:20 AM
Qserg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to lower a 2014 Q60s/ g37. Coilovers or Springs?

Hey guys,

I would love to lower my Q60s coupe to eliminate the wheel gap and keep the stock feel but not sure whats the best method.

After some research I ve learned about the Tein Flex Coilovers,Megan Coilovers, and Eibach Springs.

I want to do it once and forget about it forever so I need your help my friends.

Coilovers are great but I am not sure which ones are closer to the stock feel. I am seeing mixed reviews.

Everyone seems to love their Eibachs and I agree the drop is perfect, but I have some questions.
1. Are the 20mm spacers required? Are Spacers safe for long drives?
2. Will the springs ruin my stock suspension after a while and eventually cause the car to bounce? I had this happen with TEIN springs on my Maxima.

My budget is preferably under $1K but again I would like to do it right the first time.

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:33 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
I only have limited experience with the Eibach springs as I just put them on this spring but I'll give my 2 cents. As you said, I think the drop is perfect. The ride is a bit stiffer but not awful. You will need at least rear camber arms/toe bolts and possibly front control arms depending on how your alignment looks but that's the case with any of these options so keep that in mind. After I got mine aligned the shop said it's a little off in the front but it'll be ok. To be safe I opted to get the control arms, just need to install and realign. As for spacers, they are not required but it looks a lot better IMHO. My coupe is AWD so I got 20mm spacers for the front and 25mm for the back and I think it looks just right. Good luck!
Old 06-08-2017, 10:14 AM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Qserg
Hey guys,

I would love to lower my Q60s coupe to eliminate the wheel gap and keep the stock feel but not sure whats the best method.

After some research I ve learned about the Tein Flex Coilovers,Megan Coilovers, and Eibach Springs.

I want to do it once and forget about it forever so I need your help my friends.

Coilovers are great but I am not sure which ones are closer to the stock feel. I am seeing mixed reviews.

Everyone seems to love their Eibachs and I agree the drop is perfect, but I have some questions.
1. Are the 20mm spacers required? Are Spacers safe for long drives?
2. Will the springs ruin my stock suspension after a while and eventually cause the car to bounce? I had this happen with TEIN springs on my Maxima.

My budget is preferably under $1K but again I would like to do it right the first time.

Thank you in advance.
To my understanding spacers are completely safe.. Shouldn't have any problems there. Lowering springs will cause the oem shocks to wear out quicker because they were not designed for the stiffer spring rate, so you would need to replace them sooner than you would need to without the springs. However, depending on how old they are, this could be a long time.

Most would only go springs when their budget is super low (like me), but considering you have a solid budget of 1k, I'd definitely recommend some coils. You could go Tein Basis. They're probably the cheapest ones made for our car, but get the job done nonetheless. The Flex Z's you mentioned are a step up as they have adjustable dampening so if it is really important to you for them to have a specific feel, then I would probably go with these.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:55 PM
axis.
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Eibachs leave more wheel gap in the front than the back just as a note. But since you said you want more "stock" look, this might not be a problem. I would say that if you're looking to roll on stockies and never buy aftermarket rims, you're probably fine with the Eibachs. But at the same time, if you're looking for spacers, the wheel gap in the rear will be more noticeable.

I've see Tein Basis Zs sell for $500 new but it will likely sacrifice some of the comfort. My opinion is to go with the Tein coilovers
Old 06-08-2017, 01:45 PM
avol3xo
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
My eibachs have been perfect for maintaining daily drivability and getting rid of the stock wheel gap. I didn't do spacers or any of that. I got them installed at Z1 Motorsports on stock sport wheels and had no issues. I have since gone with aftermarket 20" wheels and still no rubbing issues at all.
Attached Thumbnails Best way to lower a 2014 Q60s/ g37. Coilovers or Springs?-photo48.jpg  
Old 06-08-2017, 04:17 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Get springs struts off 370z
Old 06-08-2017, 04:19 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
From the title you said "best" way to lower your G, well that would be coilovers, and the higher quality the better. But best on a budget the above coil recommendations are solid, and on even more of a budget the lowering springs come into play
Old 06-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Qserg

Originally Posted by avol3xo
My eibachs have been perfect for maintaining daily drivability and getting rid of the stock wheel gap. I didn't do spacers or any of that. I got them installed at Z1 Motorsports on stock sport wheels and had no issues. I have since gone with aftermarket 20" wheels and still no rubbing issues at all.
Sick car! How long have you had your Eibachs?
Old 06-08-2017, 07:36 PM
Qserg

Thanks guys, you are awesome! Actually just saw a guy in a G sitting on Eibachs and it looked great, although I would most likely get the 20mm spacers. It did look like his car bounced a little. Has anyone noticed that?

After consulting with several distributors and people it seems like a common recommendation is Tein Flex coilovers. Has anyone ridden in a car with them on?
Old 06-08-2017, 07:38 PM
Qserg

Originally Posted by HotSawce
To my understanding spacers are completely safe.. Shouldn't have any problems there. Lowering springs will cause the oem shocks to wear out quicker because they were not designed for the stiffer spring rate, so you would need to replace them sooner than you would need to without the springs. However, depending on how old they are, this could be a long time.

Most would only go springs when their budget is super low (like me), but considering you have a solid budget of 1k, I'd definitely recommend some coils. You could go Tein Basis. They're probably the cheapest ones made for our car, but get the job done nonetheless. The Flex Z's you mentioned are a step up as they have adjustable dampening so if it is really important to you for them to have a specific feel, then I would probably go with these.
Thanks for the info. I had a maxima with Tein springs and after about a year my car felt like a bouncing boat because my shocks blew out. I'm trying to avoid that with with one. Have you heard of anyone blowing out their shocks after riding just on springs?
Old 06-08-2017, 10:15 PM
avol3xo
Registered Member

Sick car! How long have you had your Eibachs?
Thanks, I've had them for about a year now. That was actually my first mod. Now I am on aftermarket wheels and I've put over 20k miles on my car. I don't have any issues with bouncing. I put the springs on my Q60s with about 19k miles on it and I havent experienced any decrease in ride quality. I'm at 43k miles now.
Attached Thumbnails Best way to lower a 2014 Q60s/ g37. Coilovers or Springs?-photo57.jpg  
Old 06-08-2017, 11:09 PM
Qserg

Originally Posted by avol3xo
Thanks, I've had them for about a year now. That was actually my first mod. Now I am on aftermarket wheels and I've put over 20k miles on my car. I don't have any issues with bouncing. I put the springs on my Q60s with about 19k miles on it and I havent experienced any decrease in ride quality. I'm at 43k miles now.
Damn man it sits nice! And no spacers? I know that it's a long shot but do you still have the link to which ones you bought?
Old 06-09-2017, 07:47 AM
avol3xo
Registered Member

Damn man it sits nice! And no spacers? I know that it's a long shot but do you still have the link to which ones you bought?
I don't still have the link but it's the eibach pro-kit for the 2013 G37s coupe. They didn't list one for the Q60 or Q60s coupe when I was looking. And no spacers or anything else, just the springs. I drive it to work every day and I haven't had any uneven tire wear issues or rubbing issues. I got it aligned with the new wheels and haven't looked back
Old 06-09-2017, 09:16 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Either get coilovers or make sure you update your shocks. It sounds like 370Z shocks will work great... NISMOs even better, though Koni Yellows are the best. At that point though you might as well get coilovers.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:45 PM
vdpinc01
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone experienced tire rubbing on 285/30/20 tires with the Eibach springs?