Tips to remove stuck caliper pin/bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 01:48 PM
Quiver
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tips to remove stuck caliper pin/bolt?

I'm trying to service my rear brake caliper that seems to be sticking on me but the pin/bolt is not giving at all. I only have the car up on one jack so I'm afraid to pull too hard and risk moving the car off the jack lol.

Does anyone have any tips on what I can do to try and break the bolt loose? I already broke a socket wrench in the process.

Disclaimer: I'm relatively new to servicing parts on my car myself so I don't currently have all of the magical tools that might make certain jobs a hell of a lot easier. (Although this shouldn't be that hard to do) :P
Old 04-28-2017, 02:50 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
First off, dont work on a car that is only supported by one jack. It is not safe. A buddy of mine's coworker recently died doing that (he was all the way under the car). His four year old found him.

Second, once the car is properly supported, a strong socket and breaker bar should easily get the job done. You can get a cheap impact socket (typically identified by their phosphate black finish rather than chrome) and breaker bar at harbor freight for probably under $20.
The following users liked this post:
Quiver (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 02:57 PM
Quiver
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Crazyirish
First off, dont work on a car that is only supported by one jack. It is not safe. A buddy of mine's coworker recently died doing that (he was all the way under the car). His four year old found him.

Second, once the car is properly supported, a strong socket and breaker bar should easily get the job done. You can get a cheap impact socket (typically identified by their phosphate black finish rather than chrome) and breaker bar at harbor freight for probably under $20.
Wow, that's terrible. Yeah, I made sure that I stayed clear of the car in case the jack were to fail. I'm planning on picking up another jack stand today anyway for extra support.

But okay, great. I'll pick up an impact socket after work today and give it a shot. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2017, 07:33 PM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
first work safely, jacks do slip sometimes especially if you are prying on some component real vigoruously. if you can't get the caliper pin bolt out with a 3/8 dr socket and ratchet chances are it may be stripped. this is only a speculation since no one here is present to inspect the condition or trouble you are having. you'll have to break out the bigger tools like a 1/2 dr breaker bar and socket. good luck in its removal hope the bolt is not stripped and just on really tight.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:37 AM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Were you able to get the stuck pin out?? Is it the one with the bushing?
Old 07-24-2017, 10:14 AM
Quiver
Registered Member

Originally Posted by m3clubracer
Were you able to get the stuck pin out?? Is it the one with the bushing?
Unfortunately, I was not able to remove it myself. I didn't have the proper tools for it and the only breaker bar I had was too big for that area. I ended up just taking it to my mechanic. He got it off but I'm not sure if it was just really stuck or if it was stripped.

But yes, it was the one with the bushing.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:27 PM
08STLX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
rear brakes on these cars can be a pain. def invest in a break bar and if possibly one with a swivel head. it will make almost any car project much easier.
The following users liked this post:
Quiver (07-27-2017)