Seized brake caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:15 PM
Quiver
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Seized brake caliper?

Alright so I posted this thread a couple weeks ago: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ver-30mph.html

At first, I thought it was coming from the front but I could never be for sure since if I stuck me head out the window to get a better listen I would only hear the wind lol.

However, today I noticed when I took my car to the car wash and I sprayed the water on the back left tire the rotor instantly boiled the water off. I know it's normal for the rotors to get pretty hot but that was the only where the water instantly boiled. When I got back home I was cleaning off my wheels and also noticed a substantial amount of heat coming from the back left rotor compared to all of the others.

Like I posted in the last thread, anytime I go over 35mph or so I hear what sounds like a brake squealing even though I'm not touching the brakes at all. From the little research I've done, it seems to be that it could be a failed caliper but I thought I would check here first in case anyone has had similar problems.

I took it in a couple weeks ago and told them about the squealing but they couldn't duplicate what I was hearing. They also checked all my brakes and rotors and said they were in good shape.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:21 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
My rear drivers caliper just seized on me last week. When I was on the freeway the car felt like a wheel was improperly balanced, so I got off the freeway asap. When I was on the side roads it was much less noticeable, so I just drove it the rest of the way home. When I got home it was dark, but I decided to check the lugs since I had them off recently and wanted to make sure I secured all of them. Went around to all the wheels, and when I got to my rear drivers side I could smell a burning hot smell. I touched the lugs/wheel and it was extremely hot to the touch. Noticeably way way hotter than any others.

Morning time I jacked up the rear of the car and took a closer look. My rear passenger wheel moved very easily with little effort, but the drivers side wouldn't really budge. The pad was tight to the rotor, and the rotor had a slight discoloration compared to the others. I hadn't drove on it much, so I wasn't too worried about other damages.

Anyway, I've already replaced it, took an extra day of down time because mine are all painted so I had to match it. If your problem sounds similar I'd suggest taking care of it asap before your brake pads crack from all the heat. Good luck.
Freshly painted and installed!
Spoiler

The following users liked this post:
Quiver (04-26-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 09:51 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 271 Posts
What year is your car?

90% of the time, the caliper is stuck on the two pins it slides on.
Most shops don't clean and regrease them when they service the brakes.

This can be easily fixed without parts in a few hours.
Simply remove the caliper (2 bolts) and see if you can remove the pins. (they are abour 1/4") using a wrench on the flat spot just in front of the rubber boot.

If you can get them off, clean them up and use a little black moly type grease.
Just a light coating is all that is needed.
The following users liked this post:
Quiver (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:59 AM
Quiver
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SonicVQ
What year is your car?

90% of the time, the caliper is stuck on the two pins it slides on.
Most shops don't clean and regrease them when they service the brakes.

This can be easily fixed without parts in a few hours.
Simply remove the caliper (2 bolts) and see if you can remove the pins. (they are abour 1/4") using a wrench on the flat spot just in front of the rubber boot.

If you can get them off, clean them up and use a little black moly type grease.
Just a light coating is all that is needed.
Thanks for the tips. I'll try and get to that tonight or tomorrow. Mine is a '09.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:57 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
If you have a few cars and do your own brakes I'd get a jar of this, works great and will last forever And while you're in there a bit behind the pad backers should keep them quiet too!