Loud suspension squeak/groan

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 03:59 PM
zacheller

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loud suspension squeak/groan

Sorry for starting a new thread if there is one out there but I couldn't find anyone with this issue.

I have a 2010 g37s coupe anniversary. I am lowered on the Eibach Pro Kit and I have Stillen Sway Bars. The car was lowered about a year after we bought it new so 2011-2012ish. About 6 months later the car starting experiencing a squeak/popping/groaning noise on the front drivers side going over speed bumps, uneven roads, etc. It would only happen every now and then. It was garage kept and a second vehicle so it doesn't have a ton of miles on it by any means.

I recently bought the car from my dad before going to school and I love it. The problem is the squeak is getting worse... A LOT worse. I have been told different things every shop I go to. One said the upper adjustable control arm, the other said some kind of bearing mount on my struts.

I don't know if its just me or what, but it also seems like the drivers side is slightly lower than the passenger side. Here are photos and a video so you can hear the noise going over speed bumps. Also this time it made the noise even when breaking.

I made an appointment at the dealership Monday to see if they can tell me. I want to know if you guys have any idea what it may be and maybe I can direct them on what to check.

Thank you so much!

Link for Video:
Attached Thumbnails Loud suspension squeak/groan-img_2410.jpg   Loud suspension squeak/groan-img_2411.jpg  
Old 10-19-2016, 06:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Could be the sway bar bushings needing grease, very common occurrence.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:05 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Have you ever greased the sway bars? If you do that and it still squeaks it is possible to "blow out" the upper mounts front and rear. They begin to squeak. I actually sold my Eibachs because of the squeaking. Turns out it was all four upper suspension mounts. Car is nice and silent again.
The following users liked this post:
zacheller (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 11:57 PM
zacheller

Thank you guys! I'm taking it in tomorrow. Lets see if I can get it fixed
Old 10-24-2016, 09:19 AM
zacheller

Originally Posted by xpcgamer
Have you ever greased the sway bars? If you do that and it still squeaks it is possible to "blow out" the upper mounts front and rear. They begin to squeak. I actually sold my Eibachs because of the squeaking. Turns out it was all four upper suspension mounts. Car is nice and silent again.
What do you mean by "blow out" the upper mounts? I asked the dealership about this and they were not sure what I meant. How do you go about doing this?
Old 10-24-2016, 11:20 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
my sways make this noise every winter. :/, started last week when the temp went below 60
Old 11-01-2016, 11:25 PM
zacheller

I finally got it fixed!! The squeak was simply that the sway bar bushings needed grease. The popping noises/rattle I was experiencing was due to both my upper control arms being loose. I took it by a local shop beside my school (Liberty University) in lynchburg VA and they fixed me up in a few hours. All noises completely gone and it drives better for about 100 bucks.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:52 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Glad you are back to a happy place!