Installing ksport coils 08 coupe ( questions)!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 06:00 PM
slotterjordan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Installing ksport coils 08 coupe ( questions)!!!!

As you guys are probably familiar with, the 2008 G37 came with a strut and separate spring combination for the rear suspension. My question to you guys is, I have recently purchased a set of KSport coilovers, and they came as a one piece coilover, not a separate strut/spring combination. What I'm wondering is, will this change the geometry of my rear suspension at all, seeing as into the OEM setup, the spring seats into the lower control arm. I'm wondering if there is enough force/tension on that suspension setup to make a difference in handling/safety characteristics by changing the gravitational force to a different location. Will this affect suspension travel? Will this make it more difficult to set pre-load? Will this affect toe-in and natural camber more so than a proper seperate spring/strut?

Remember I bought this and it said it was for my car... Just wanna know if I install this will this work properly thus having that lower control arm spring there

Rear could and oem monotube strut

Oem read monotube strut

Lower control arm spring
Old 10-08-2016, 07:43 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
For spirited daily driving I doubt you'd notice any difference vs. the OEM type rear setup. You have two options for setting toe now though. You can either keep your lower control arm intact and use the OEM toe bolt setup or you can remove the lower control arm and replace it w/ toe arms. There would be a bit of weight savings but other than that there's not much difference. And setting preload is easier since you're only dealing with one section rather than an independent spring. The only negative that I'm aware of w/ "true" coilover setups on the G (and the Z) is it concentrates all that load into the rather small area where the upper rear shock mounts. In the OEM setup you have that load spread out over that larger upper spring perch w/ that thick rubber cushion, so NVH will probably increase. But keep in mind coilovers w/ the OEM setup will also increase NVH since that thick rubber spring cone is replaced by a much thinner rubber washer on the adjustable height collar (typically about a 1/4" thick vs. the OEM rubber cone that's about an inch thick IIRC). There's also guys on the Z boards that have reinforced that upper mount w/ some metal plate, but this is for those that are tracking their Zs regularly, I haven't read any instances of that area failing to support though FWIW.

Last edited by blnewt; 10-08-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:35 PM
slotterjordan

Originally Posted by blnewt
For spirited daily driving I doubt you'd notice any difference vs. the OEM type rear setup. You have two options for setting toe now though. You can either keep your lower control arm intact and use the OEM toe bolt setup or you can remove the lower control arm and replace it w/ toe arms. There would be a bit of weight savings but other than that there's not much difference. And setting preload is easier since you're only dealing with one section rather than an independent spring. The only negative that I'm aware of w/ "true" coilover setups on the G (and the Z) is it concentrates all that load into the rather small area where the upper rear shock mounts. In the OEM setup you have that load spread out over that larger upper spring perch w/ that thick rubber cushion, so NVH will probably increase. But keep in mind coilovers w/ the OEM setup will also increase NVH since that thick rubber spring cone is replaced by a much thinner rubber washer on the adjustable height collar (typically about a 1/4" thick vs. the OEM rubber cone that's about an inch thick IIRC). There's also guys on the Z boards that have reinforced that upper mount w/ some metal plate, but this is for those that are tracking their Zs regularly, I haven't read any instances of that area failing to support though FWIW.
Thanks for the reply. Great description. So I should be OK installing the coils? Nothing should blow up or not work properly? I can buy toe arms in a week if that will help
Old 10-08-2016, 10:07 PM
sharkey

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
You ll be ok installing the coilovers.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:00 AM
slotterjordan

Originally Posted by sharkey
You ll be ok installing the coilovers.
Do you take the lower control arm spring out completely? And just put the coilover in?
Old 10-09-2016, 04:08 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by slotterjordan
Do you take the lower control arm spring out completely? And just put the coilover in?
Yes, with that setup you will be removing the rear OEM springs from the LCA.