Alignment Questions for Sedans with 19" sport Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 01:25 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Alignment Questions for Sedans with 19" sport Wheels

So after I installed both the sport 19" wheels and new tires, I did the alignment right away.

Then drove few hours on highway and realized that the steering wheel is not centered. I mean on even road, the car is going straight centered but the steering wheel was not centered' shifted towards to left about 15 degrees.

I did the alignment at AAA so I went back and told them the technician might forgot to center off the alignment / adjust the tie rod.

Technician told me he will do what he can to make it centered. Also told me based on my car- he used the 17" factory oem/tire spec to align it and that was probably reason why it was not centered. Either way he said he will do the best he can do.

Now my question is that what do I need to tell them when I get next alignment so I can avoid this issue again? what 'template' should they use to align?

Thanks guys
Old 08-23-2016, 01:45 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Centering the wheel has absolutely nothing to do with the physical alignment specs... It's a completely different adjustment to center the steering wheel. This is the problem with chain tire store alignments.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:02 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 837 Likes on 716 Posts
I'd be shocked if the alignment differed for the various wheel sizes.

The steering wheel position is adjusted by making equal but opposite changes in tie-rod positions on the front wheels. Done properly the steering wheel can be centered and the toe will be unchanged.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:20 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jfisher
Centering the wheel has absolutely nothing to do with the physical alignment specs... It's a completely different adjustment to center the steering wheel. This is the problem with chain tire store alignments.
Originally Posted by slartibartfast

The steering wheel position is adjusted by making equal but opposite changes in tie-rod positions on the front wheels. Done properly the steering wheel can be centered and the toe will be unchanged.
Where do you guys usually get your alignment done?
Old 08-23-2016, 03:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,608 Likes on 3,450 Posts
Aren't you the guy who went (justifiably) ballistic because of a rear spoiler problem and customer service woes at his dealership?

And then recently had a shop tell him his rotors were "warped" (cough cough)?

Don't hate on me for seeing this as a pattern... but there's a pattern here.

Regardless, jfisher had the right answer. If it bugs you, go get it adjusted. I know it would drive me nuts.

Originally Posted by G37X GraSdadow
I take my car to the Infiniti Service Department for alignments. Their technician let's me get right in there with him and help out. Well... I consider it helping, but I'm sure he looks at it as just being nice, LOL.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-23-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:48 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Aren't you the guy who went (justifiably) ballistic because of a rear spoiler problem and customer service woes at his dealership?

And then recently had a shop tell him his rotors were "warped" (cough cough)?

Don't hate on me for seeing this as a pattern... but there's a pattern here.

Regardless, jfisher had the right answer. If it bugs you, go get it adjusted. I know it would drive me nuts.
Yes, yes and yes. Here is quick update.

Spoiler:
1) Previous dealer did a ****ty job on install
2) I got the $200 installation fees back, decided to fix it DYI -> Haven't work on the spoiler since it was so hot outside these days

Warped Rotors/tires/wheels/alignment:
1) Picked up a car from new dealer from diagnosis -> The issue was vibrating in braking in high speed -> service adviser told me the front rotors are warped;need to be machined -> decided to go for new sets(Not happened yet)
2) Right after I picked up my car in the morning I took it to Discount Tires and installed 19" and DWS 06 then went to work
3) Got my car back on lunch time, went to AAA for alignment and then went back to work.
4) Drove my car for a weekend trip -> realized my steering wheel is not centered and also realized I could use these rotors for some more time.
5) Today I dropped off the car in AAA for steering wheel adjustment.
6) I got a call like a hour ago that the car is 'done'. So we will see about that.

I guess I'm just not lucky with shops.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:45 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast

Might as well do it right from the get go.

Once the machine has been calibrated (compensated) to the car, first step is to center and lock the steering wheel using a tool similar to the one below. Then, the adjustments are made. I don't mean just being in spec, but having equal numbers on either side (def possibly with toe front/rear and camber in the rear). If you have adjustable links for caster, then that too can be set.

Problem is what's centered to the tech may not be center for you. Last time mine was done, they let me road test it afterwards which revealed a small tweak was needed.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:59 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by G37X GraSdadow
Are you dropped? If so I'd try and ask around for a good, quality performance alignment shop that really knows suspension. I learned this the hard way. Spent about $250 on chain tire store alignments and disappointment after disappointment I ponied up and went to a local performance alignment shop. More than worth what I paid.
The following users liked this post:
G37X GraSdadow (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 10:40 AM
SomeName
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Ugh. Alignments. They're the worst when it comes to finding a good tech. I spent like a month tracking down an old mechanic buddy at his new garage just to find someone i trust.
The biggest issue, like previous poster said, is what looks centered to you is not always the same as the tech. The "centering procedure" that they do is extremely important. Some guys just turn it straight, call it good. The best way is to gradually rock it back and forth in smaller increments, granted this does take like 10 seconds longer.
Anyway, the guy is fos about the rim size being the problem. One thing mechanics have ALOT of: excuses. He probably didn't pay enough attention the first time.
G37X GraSdadow (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 04:43 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Ok- here is the update. Sorry for the delay.

I picked up my car on the same day and surprisingly it was 50/50 even. It was so straight.

So I talked to the mechanic and he said that the wheel size really doesn't matter to the alignment directly but when you put the size number on the machine it automatically center the wheels for you. He told me that all he did to center it was just put 18 instead of 19 on the alignment machine. (OEM size was 17, I had coupe 19. 17 and 18 were only available on the alignment machine)

Weird.
Baby Jumpman (08-29-2016)