Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Hotchkis+Eibach+Koni Yellows

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 09:37 AM
ColumbiaSkinny

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Hotchkis+Eibach+Koni Yellows

I was asked to give a review, i guess you would call it, of the Eibach Pro Kit and Koni yellows i was having installed on my G so i'll try to give it my best shot....

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Columbia- I am curious to hear what you think of the Koni/Eibach setup.
The local Infiniti dealer did the installation for me (sorry no pics, i wasn't allowed in the shop so i got a Q50 rental and ran some errands) for $300, on a Saturday, over a two week period. It would have been $600 if i had done the installation during the week.

I've gotten to know Kevin the parts manager, Justin who works with him, and Chris, one of the service managers pretty good over the last couple of months and they REALLY helped me out on this little project for me. Especially Kevin and Justin, who recommended i let the springs settle before installing the Koni's. Kevin has a G35 coupe on coilovers but has gone the springs route before so he has some experience with it. Kevin went above and beyond what he had to, to help me out. A+ for their helpfulness and service from those guys and i feel like i got more than a fair deal.

Kevin and Chris mentioned that while they have lowered quite a few G35/G37 coupe's, this was their first sedan (if they only knew when i was thinking of this forum). And they all loved the way it looked. There was quite a few guys around my G when i got there to pick it up taking cell phone pics and Kevin said he was going to use it as the departments screen saver on their computer which i thought was pretty cool.

Anywho, i'll have had the set up (Eibachs+Koni's) for a week now come tomorrow. I've had the Eibachs on for two weeks. I let them settle for 10 days before installing the Koni's.

Total combined enhancement mods for better handling on my base RWD 2013 Journey sedan are:

- Michelin PSS (replaced OEM Goodyear RS-A)
- 18"x8.5 ET35 Enkei Raijin (replaced OEM 17"x7.5)
- Hotckis front and rear sways (replaced OEM sways)
- Eibach Pro Kit springs (replaced OEM springs)
- Koni Yellows (replaced OEM shocks and struts)

It's a HUGE improvement from the base Journey suspension, obviously, and perfect for what i was looking for. I haven't driven an S before or any other suspension modded Gs so i have no experience with anything to compare it to other than what my G and what it came with from the factory.

If i just wanted comfort, the Eibach alone would have been totally satisfactory. They ride like OEM base Journey springs. Very comfortable, not to harsh, and not any bounce after going over bumps or dips in the roads.

But i wanted my suspension stiffer/tighter for better handling/cornering, particularly up front where most of the weight is transferred during hard, sharp turns. Lowering the center of gravity with the Eibachs + the sways weren't quite enough to keep the cabin more centered and make me feel like i was in 100% control during hard corners. There was still a bit of lean that i wanted to get rid of. That's where the Koni's come in and made the car handle more like a tight sports car.

With 3 clicks up front for the stiffest setting the Koni's combined with the Hotckis sways and Eibachs have put my car right where i want it. The front 'lean' and big dip in the front right or left turn are almost all but eliminated, as well as the cabin staying more centered. The car is much more planted at all four corners. The rears are set at 2 clicks for 50% stiffness at i'm pretty content on leaving them that way for DD and when i want to go for some spirited driving. I may tinker with them more in the future just to see if i can get them even more dialed in. But for now i'll leave it as is as it's quite enjoyable during spirited driving. I have not had an alignment yet. I'll be getting all four corners aligned next Friday. But for now i'm just really enjoying the new look and new feel of the set up. It's a totally different car and so far i'm glad i went this route. It was worth the wait and every penny IMO.

As i get some more miles with the set up i'll review some more...
Old 08-04-2016, 09:55 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Thanks for that great job on the review Nathan, you've really put together a nice ride!
Old 08-04-2016, 12:47 PM
ColumbiaSkinny

Thanks Brad. I never imagined i would go as far as i have modding this car. But i really like where it is at this point.

Now i need to step back for awhile and let me bank account recoup. Or at least i'll try... lol
Old 12-09-2016, 12:30 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
What do you think of the suspension set up now that you have had a few more months with it?
Old 12-09-2016, 12:37 PM
G37xhibeet

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts
Shocked that an Infiniti dealership did this work.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:21 PM
ColumbiaSkinny

What do you think of the suspension set up now that you have had a few more months with it?
Still love the curve hugging ability it's given my G. But as a DD the stiffness can get quite annoying. I wish there was a way to control the ride comfort from inside the car so you can adjust it on the fly. But it is what it is.

I'm going to a bigger wheel set up in the next few weeks and scheduling my 30k mile maintenance. I'm going to loosen it up some then and hopefully find that happy medium...
Old 12-09-2016, 06:18 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I had a set of Koni's on a WRX years ago and I remember them being decent on the street and then I would firm them up for track days. It worked well.

I am having trouble remembering exactly how they ride on the street compared to my Tein Basis which ride very similar to the stock suspension on just about every road. The only place I notice a difference is on newer roads that the seams are not quite right and the road is a little bouncy for everyone. It is a little bouncier for me. Do you notice a similar thing with the Konis?
Old 12-14-2016, 12:26 PM
ColumbiaSkinny

Not much bounce at all, even while doing 80mph on the highway at hitting dips. It settles pretty quickly. I don't know if there's not much bounce due to the Koni's or the Eibach springs. Maybe it's the combination of both...
Old 12-14-2016, 01:36 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

My car is fine on the hwy too. I only notice it on 45 mph roads that are newer where the slabs of concrete are slightly curved so every car looks like it bounces up and down just a bit when they hit the seams. Ever notice anything like that? My car is just a bit bouncier than most. Nothing major and I usually do not notice it, but it is definitely there if I pay attention to it or have a passenger who normally drives a car on oem suspension.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:01 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
In my opinion of the S, the suspension is too harsh and the sway bars are too soft. But I am just one person. I will probably get everything upgraded eventually. In one way it is nice to have it like this. If I soften the suspension and tighten the sways, the rest of the car parts won't suffer from it.

When I put stuff in my BMW, I suspected that the harder struts took a bigger toll on the factory equip. In theory, the G should do well with any upgrades I choose.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:54 AM
ColumbiaSkinny

My car is fine on the hwy too. I only notice it on 45 mph roads that are newer where the slabs of concrete are slightly curved so every car looks like it bounces up and down just a bit when they hit the seams. Ever notice anything like that? My car is just a bit bouncier than most. Nothing major and I usually do not notice it, but it is definitely there if I pay attention to it or have a passenger who normally drives a car on oem suspension.
Ah, ok. I see what your referencing too now. Yeah it does bounce some/with the dip in roads per say. I thought you were referring too bouncy as in something like a Lincoln Continental for example lol...
Old 12-16-2016, 03:02 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Ok, that is kind of what I thought- sounds like my Tein Basis ride just like your Konis. This is still bar none the best ride on the street of any set of coilovers I have ever had on a car and I have tried many brands over the years.