Help Brakes - Which Pad and Rotor Combo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 07:45 PM
Beachbodyg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes - Which Pad and Rotor Combo?

Hey G Family,

I have a 2013 G37XS Sedan and have bout 35k miles on there and am looking to replace the brakes because the factory rotors are showing hot spots and prior to buying my CPO car, the dealer seems to have installed new pads and cut the rotors. Unfortunately i don't trust the dealer and don't believe any of the work was really done so its just better to replace it all.

Here are some combos that I have the option to buy based on my budget for brakes and your help and comments would be great.

Combo 1
Stop tech slotted rotors with HAWK HPS Pads
** Ive heard that the HPS pads are questionable in the cold and in wet conditions which i experience a lot of here in NJ.

Combo 2
Stop Tech Slotted rotors with Posi Quiet Pads
** Not bad but I've heard that the pads aren't really that quiet

Combo 3
EBC Slotted rotors with EBC Green Stuff Pads
** Ive heard that the rotors are great and the pads are not bad at all, but are a softer compound and are good for daily driver/commuter use but may not be the best for spirited drive

Combo 4
EBC Slotted Rotors with EBC Red Stuff Pads
** Ive heard that the rotors are great and that the red stuff may be a faster wearing pad, but has some serious bite in all conditions and can handle multiple spirited drives and multiple consecutive brake inputs (could happen a lot with the stop and go in NJ)

Combo 5

Your Choice - Keep in mind i would like to have slotted rotors, and a decent bite on the pads. Ofcourse i don't want my fiancé or mom getting choked by the seatbelt when they are in the car

So G Family, what do you think and what should I get?
Old 04-08-2016, 09:47 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Here's a list from KNSbrakes (great vendor BTW), depending on budget the DBA D2s w/ Hawk HPS or Stoptech Street Pads would work well. I had the Stoptech Street Pads prior to my front Wilwoods (still have them in back) and they have nice bite and work well for most street driving. Just need to be careful w/prolonged stops after running hot. It's a shame they don't have a front Hawk 5.0 pad for all Gs, that would be an easy recommendation.

For more $$ the DBA D2s w/ Ferrodo DS2500 will probably yield the best overall brake performance but pretty aggressive for daily driving. I would probably go this route if that extra $200 isn't a deal breaker.

The Centric Premiums w/ the Ferodos is a great pkg for the price but not slotted.

You might call KNS and see if there are any plans for those 5.0 pads to include your G anytime soon.
Brad
https://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-item...+G37+Sedan+AWD
Old 04-08-2016, 09:48 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
For a daily driver that sees an occasional spirited drive, I'd recommend sticking with a quality ceramic pad and blanks. Blanks because more surface area means more bite and more thermal mass. Ceramics because loud brakes are embarassing on a luxyry car. My current setup is akebono proact pads and centric premium blanks. Quiet. Good bite. Not a lot of dust. They make a more sport oriented ceramic as well which i didnt opt for because i wanted minimal dusting.

Of the combos you have listed, i only have experience with the EBC reds. Had those on my last car with EBC slotted rotors. Pads were noisy and didn't even last a full year. Never again.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:28 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
^^^^Yeah, if slotted, quiet, & low dust is a priority then Combo 2, but there are two versions of the PosiQuiets, you want the ceramic set.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:42 PM
Beachbodyg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I found out that my car has brand new akebono stock ceramic pads on it (what the dealer says they installed at certification). With that in mind I went with ordering the ebc rotors and will use it with the stock pads. Spoke to a few folks who says they have had good experience with this setup. I used to have stop tech on my subarus and they always warped really quickly so I figured give ebc a chance. I looked at kns based on some other posts and saw they do have a great product line. It might be an option in the future. I don't see the car going anywhere. Thanks for all of the advice. Will keep it in mind should I decide to get rid of the pads and upgrade.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:17 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Yeah I had Stoptechs on my last car and they warped after a single day on some back roads. Stoptech make a great product though so maybe it was just a bad pair? Now, my OEM Sport rotors are starting to vibrate at more severe slowdowns. I just cant seem to get a solid brake rotor on any car I own :/