Review Alutec FSTB and cumulative suspension mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 12:23 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Alutec FSTB and cumulative suspension mods

Last night, I did a quick install of an Alutec FSTB on my sedan. It was a simple 10 minute installation. Thought I'd post a review as there's been a lot of questions about the effect of a FSTB on our cars. My review will echo what many others have said but I wanted to give you guys some impressions from the standpoint of having sways first, then FSTB. This review might be a little bit long so I apologize in advance for that but it'll include a cumulative review of my mods along the way. I'll post a pic later tonight.

Alutec ALT-IG102 h IG102 Aluminum Strut Tower Bar Infiniti G37 Coupe

I really liked the Cusco but was drawn to the face that it's a one piece unit. It's not as pretty as the Cusco or GT-Spec but it gets the job done.

My previous car was a 2004 G35 6 speed, sport. When I traded it for the 2010 sport sedan, it left a lot to be desired in terms of suspension and handling. I wasn't happy with the body roll so I put some Hotchkis sways on about a year after purchase and as many others have said, it's the single biggest bang for the buck handling mod that can be done to these cars. I love the sways but such as it goes with performance mods, once you start modding, the appetite for more is stoked. I have the sways set to the stiffest settings and it was quickly apparent that they were overpowering the stock bridgestones. I was out on a test drive in my neighborhood at the time and kind of pushing the car a little bit through some curves and I had the car sideways going down the road (on dry asphalt) and that was with VDC on. It took the VDC a second to get the violent fish tailing back under control. My over correcting with the steering wasn't helping either...lol.

So, it was painfully obvious that the car needed more rub underneathe it. Stock 18's went and I went with TSW Nurburgrings in 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5 rear shod with 245/40-19 and 275/35-19 Michelin Pilot A/S Plus's rubber. It was a huge upgrade in grip and I feel that it balance the sways.

My few mods have been great so far but as my mileage has gotten up there, certain aspects of the car's handling has started to feel sloppy and loose (shocks are going to be swapped with Koni Yellows).

The effect of the FSTB is mild but, cumulative and builds on the sways. I haven't driven too hard but overall, it makes the front end feel more solid and rigid, almost restoring some of that brand-new car solidity. I took one turn on the way to work this morning that is a sharp S curve off of a straight road to transition onto a highway entrance ramp that starts right and then goes sharp left. I've taken this curve many times and in the past, it's felt a bit sloppy during the S transitions and like the front end was not coping as good with all the weight over the front axle as it could be.

With the FSTB, that sloppiness is gone and the steering response feels sharper and more precise. It's a mild improvement but good nevertheless. With the sways, wider rubber, and FSTB, my car feels like a solid plane (save for the rear end feeling schizophrenic at times due to the shocks) that the seat is glued to. I don't mind it too much but at times, it can get a bit annoying-- may need to ease the setting on the rear sway bar but I'll reserve judgement until I get the Konis installed.

Next mods: Konis, GT-Spec 6-point brace for the rear, lateral tie bar, and Takeda cold air.

I've heard it stated here before that the rear 6-point brace makes a bigger difference than the FSTB. I'm looking forward to getting that installed and seeing how it changes the handling aspects of the car.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:08 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Sorry for the lack of pic so far, been kind of slammed this week. I'll try to post one tonight.

Further driving impressions: This mod has made a huge difference in the handling dynamics of the car. The front end feels like the whole thing is welded together and seems to have eliminated a LOT of flex in the chassis.

Someone mentioned using the front sub-frame braces (lower) from the convertible over the GT-Spec piece as they looked more substantial. May look into that at some point but after the 6-point rear goes in.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:02 PM
blueis300
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I found this after I already made a different post but figured it can hurt to ask here also. What is the difference between this and the Circuit Sports. I read they are the same. Also one has a logo and one doesn't. Are they all the same?
Old 05-25-2014, 05:59 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Hey Matt,
Don't know how I missed this review, but nice writeup
I've thought about the Alutec, I actually really like how this looks, and the welds look very high quality. This solid construction would seem to accomplish more of what a FSTB is intended to do~ firm up the strut mounts.

Only con that I can see would be access to my coilover adjustment *****, it would appear that you can't access them very well, although not much room is needed to twist them. Wouldn't be a huge deal I guess to remove bar to adjust the dampers but nice if I didn't have to. Do you think there's enough room to do that?

Also any rubbing on top of the bar from the under hood liner?

If you can shoot a pic or two of the engine bay and the room under the bar ends that would be great.
Thanks for this.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:31 PM
txg37x

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Bump for follow-up on strut bar and the 6 point rear brace?
Old 01-31-2015, 12:51 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 257 Likes on 229 Posts
What up Matt. Nice to see you back in the saddle with mods going in and plans for MO!! I gotta say I was a tiny bit dissappointed to hear that the front strut bar didn't give you all you had expected. I don't know about you Mr. snails, but with the low price of a front strut bar and the raw sexiness it adds to the engine bay I won't require it to contribute much at all.

I gotta say I like the full solid face SB you picked out. But I'm with you on the Cusco and the GT Spec looking better. The discount you got on that alutec wasn't much less than what a Cusco woulda ran or a GT spec from the right vendor on site. Either way I'm glad you got it and even happier that you like it. Congrats.

Just a thougt about you next 4 upcoming mod plans....while they are all good mods and def compliment each other....IMO you should bump the LT CAI's up to #1 homie. The added power from the CAI may give the strut bar more of a chance to shine before the 6 point and the lateral brace come in and possibly steal the Thunder. But mainly I'm voting for the intakes first bc I know how sweet those long tube pipes will look against that new strut bar. Engine bay pimpin....Check
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (03-25-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 03:38 PM
kluthage421
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
So...this bar somehow is still available. I ordered one here: https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart...on.php?II=8584
Old 10-12-2016, 09:25 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Semi-necro bump...I'm curious. Does it look like there's room for damper adjustment ***** if you're running adjustable coilovers? Just wondering if there's room to get your fingers in there to turn said ****.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:58 PM
Mkhlmnn

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Ape Factory
Semi-necro bump...I'm curious. Does it look like there's room for damper adjustment ***** if you're running adjustable coilovers? Just wondering if there's room to get your fingers in there to turn said ****.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:21 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

So yeah that pretty much answers my question. Looks like a no go. Granted I have them dialed in where I want but I do adjust them down for long trips with the wife in the passenger's seat. A few properly-drilled holes might do the trick however.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:58 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Might be able to get in there w/ some angled pliers, but would be hard to see what you've done and might take longer than just removing the bar
Old 10-15-2016, 09:08 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

I had that bar installed on my car and whenever I wanted to adjust the Koni's, I had to take it off. Fortunately, with the damper adjustments, once they're dialed in, you shouldn't have to take it off too much. But yeah, that was a minor drawback but it's a great single piece and solid bar.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:19 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

I may go ahead and purchase one and see if I can machine a triangle-shaped opening on both of the side braces. That way you could, theoretically get a thumb and index finger on either side of the adjustment ****.