Sport springs from G37S Sedan on G37xS Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
Question Sport springs from G37S Sedan on G37xS Sedan

I'm interested to know if anyone installed the G37S sedan sport springs on a G37x sedan?

Since I'm "unable" to lower my G, due to my wife's wishes not to.
I thought I might be able to get way with just dropping it on G37S sedan springs...will these work well?
Not looking for much of a drop, just better visual & performance than stock.
Don't want the comfort level to be decreased too much either.

I've researched and can't seem to find much information regarding this...only information is about aftermarket springs.
I guess this isn't a very popular issue with G owners.

Since I'm going to install the rear sway off of the G37S coupe, I thought that the G37S sedan springs will complete the "Sport" in my G37xS!
It might not be tuned, but closer to the 'S" than stock.

Please, any advice will be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Bota36

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Dragion, Swift makes different spring rates for different models. I'm sure the RWD springs are softer than the X springs because from what I understand the X is heavier and will require more support. I know this because Swift used my G to get the proper specs for the RWD. Originally, they put the coupe springs on so they could do some measuring. The coupe springs resulted in the back end of my sedan to be about a 1/2" to 3/4" lower than the front producing the "rake" look. They explained that each G has a different weight ratio from front to back therefore they create a different spring for each model.

This weight difference could result in producing an uneven drop. If you plan on a DIY then go for it, because you can always change it back if you don't like it. If you plan on paying someone to install, I would just buy the X springs...But who knows, it may just turn out great.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:42 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Bota36
Dragion, Swift makes different spring rates for different models. I'm sure the RWD springs are softer than the X springs because from what I understand the X is heavier and will require more support. I know this because Swift used my G to get the proper specs for the RWD. Originally, they put the coupe springs on so they could do some measuring. The coupe springs resulted in the back end of my sedan to be about a 1/2" to 3/4" lower than the front producing the "rake" look. They explained that each G has a different weight ratio from front to back therefore they create a different spring for each model.

This weight difference could result in producing an uneven drop. If you plan on a DIY then go for it, because you can always change it back if you don't like it. If you plan on paying someone to install, I would just buy the X springs...But who knows, it may just turn out great.

Good luck.
Thanks Bota for the information regarding Swift springs.

I'm not sure how this answers my question regarding the OEM Sport Springs from the G37S sedan installed on my G37xS sedan, but appreciate it.
I've considered Swift X springs, but need to maintain the G37xS ground clearance as much as possible.
Even with a 1" drop with a clearance of only 3" is too much...my wife will know

Just would like to know if anyone has any done this or have any information they can share if this would work without any issues.
I'm trying to see if I can lower the G37xS and not worry about additional camber/alignment problems...plus the least effect to the stock ride comfort.

Improvement without the headache

Last edited by dragion; 01-05-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:48 AM
Bota36

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I just re-read your post. Misread on my part. If you DIY the G, I'd do it. If not, I hope someone can answer you question. Good Luck.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:18 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Not sure if the sport springs will actually lower your X at all, the spring rate is firmer but I don't think you'll get a drop. Might want to look into 370z springs, from what I've read they seem to get a smallish drop in the 1/2" to 3/4" range.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:41 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Not sure if the sport springs will actually lower your X at all, the spring rate is firmer but I don't think you'll get a drop. Might want to look into 370z springs, from what I've read they seem to get a smallish drop in the 1/2" to 3/4" range.
This is probably dragion's best bet. I did this on my 07X and the results where pretty good. A 7/8" drop front and 5/8" in the rear. It leveled out the stance and for the average person, wasn't noticeable at all.
370Z springs experiment - G35Driver

This was my thread showing the X after I installed the 370Z front springs and cut (shaved) rear spring mounts
http://g35driver.com/forums/canada/3...new-smile.html
Old 01-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Boywdr

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dragion
Thanks Bota for the information regarding Swift springs.

I'm not sure how this answers my question regarding the OEM Sport Springs from the G37S sedan installed on my G37xS sedan, but appreciate it.
I've considered Swift X springs, but need to maintain the G37xS ground clearance as much as possible.
Even with a 1" drop with a clearance of only 3" is too much...my wife will know

Just would like to know if anyone has any done this or have any information they can share if this would work without any issues.
I'm trying to see if I can lower the G37xS and not worry about additional camber/alignment problems...plus the least effect to the stock ride comfort.

Improvement without the headache
Ok I think I know what you were trying to get at. You have an 37x but want to use 37xs springs they will work but all you are going to get is a stiffer ride nothing more nothing less nothing lower. If you can or want to swift springs are the way to go you will close the wheel gap to about two fingers. The ride will not change much but you will have to avoid the bigger potholes.

Trending Topics

Old 01-05-2013, 10:18 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Boywdr
Ok I think I know what you were trying to get at. You have an 37x but want to use 37xs springs they will work but all you are going to get is a stiffer ride nothing more nothing less nothing lower. If you can or want to swift springs are the way to go you will close the wheel gap to about two fingers. The ride will not change much but you will have to avoid the bigger potholes.
The G37X and G37XS have the same springs/suspension.
2013 Infiniti G37 Sedan Specifications | Infinitihelp.com
Old 01-05-2013, 04:21 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
This is probably dragion's best bet. I did this on my 07X and the results where pretty good. A 7/8" drop front and 5/8" in the rear. It leveled out the stance and for the average person, wasn't noticeable at all.
370Z springs experiment - G35Driver

This was my thread showing the X after I installed the 370Z front springs and cut (shaved) rear spring mounts
Lowered 07 G35X and a new smile - G35Driver
Thanks for sharing these links.
Very interesting read and sounds like a great alternative to what I was asking.
I'm not sure if it is any better than going with the Swift springs.
In my situation, I would have to purchase a set of front 370z springs and also the rear upper seat, since my G37xS is a lease.
I'm not handy regarding the install & modification, so I would have to bring it to a shop and have it all done for me.

I feel that maybe it might be better to leave it all alone and keep it stock height than to maybe produce additional issues down the road?

Convince me that I'm wrong!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:23 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
The G37X and G37XS have the same springs/suspension.
2013 Infiniti G37 Sedan Specifications | Infinitihelp.com
Thanks for adding this link.

According to this chart, the minimum ground clearance for the G37x is the least of all the models @ 4.9"...correct?
Is this due to the AWD system?

Now, I'm more hesitant regarding lowering the G37xS.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:31 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Boywdr
Actually, what I have is the G37x sedan springs on my G37xS sedan and want to know if the springs from a G37S sedan will work?

Trying to see if I can get as close to the "S" version as possible, since the G37xS sedan is all cosmetic.
It lacks the G37S sedan's sport tuned suspension.

Originally Posted by blnewt
I think the G37S sedan sits lower than the AWD sedans...right?

Does anyone have actually pictures or part # of the G37S sedan springs comparing to the G37x sedan springs?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:49 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dragion
Thanks for adding this link.

According to this chart, the minimum ground clearance for the G37x is the least of all the models @ 4.9"...correct?
Is this due to the AWD system?

Now, I'm more hesitant regarding lowering the G37xS.
Yes. The low point under the X and XS is the front differential.

The S appears to be lower than the X and XS due to the suspension however the actual ground clearance of the S is greater than the X and XS.
This is something to consider when lowering an X and XS model. This is why I only lowed my 07X a little. With lowering, a lot depends on the roads and driveways you travel.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Sorry for adding questions on top of questions...

...but I was under the assumption the springs were identical regardless of RWD-Sport package or not, and that suspension differences of the RWD-S come by way of thicker sway bars and stiffer struts. Anyone have a solid answer to that?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:21 AM
SlimTV
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
To the op. I understand your situation and your frustration in not getting a straight answer. Basically you want another mod you can sneak on the car without upsetting the wife, and if you DO get caught, it better be something that she can live with or else it comes off? I take it you dont really feel like doing this yourself, so consider the labor involved in "trying" different combinations, and the alignments that come with experimenting.
For factory options, I would try the 370z front springs with your stock rears since you said you will be adding a rear "S" swaybar to stiffen the back end up a bit. I know the spring rates will vary, but it might give you a mild drop up front with a stock "S" ride. Another possible factory option would be a 2012 G37xS coupe suspension. I think its sport tuned, lowered, etc and the coupe is slightly heavier, so I dont see those springs sagging in the rear like a stock S sedan springs would on your xS.
If you decide to follow the masses with aftermarket springs, you can see if someone you know has a lowered G and test drive yourself to feel if springs are too rough for wifey. If thats not an option, go swift. A pricey option would be a set of coilovers, but you can dial in the height/firmness/rebound/damping, etc for optimum comfort year round, and when the time comes to go back to stock, you will get well over $500 for them used and put that $$ toward your next car's mods.
The BEST option in my opinion would be to buy a set of Impul springs. It's the mildest drop I've ever seen on lowering springs. I think its 20mm front and 5mm rear drop. Which translated roughly is 7/8" to 8/10" drop in the front and about 1/4" drop in back. I think that will put you really close to the stock S ride height with the front sitting just a few millimeters lower than a stock S sedan. People who run these springs feel like this is the way the xS should have come from Infiniti. It doesnt seem like the ride is rough either. I can only imagine it being less stiffer while offering a pinch more ground clearance than eibach, swift, H&R and the rest. I think you can sneak this on the car undetected, and just tell her you added 2more psi of air in the tires because you heard it gets better gas mileage.

Last edited by SlimTV; 01-22-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:33 AM
SlimTV
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Found some helpful info over on G35driver. Scroll down to post #21 and there are 2 links provided by rustyeleio back in 2009 btw he got his avatar jacked lol.

Best place to order IMPUL springs? - Page 2 - G35Driver

This is an example of how Impul springs look on a G before and after.

IMPUL Springs, D&S Rotors, Msport wheels & spacers Installed - G35Driver

Quick Reply: Sport springs from G37S Sedan on G37xS Sedan