Rotors warped - Need Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 AM
KNS Brakes
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have to measure the rotors to know if they are worn to discard thickness.

The Hawk Ceramic pads are very good pads if you want a very low dust pad w/ no noise but only modest stopping power.

-Ken
Old 01-07-2013, 12:34 PM
SoCal09G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeez there is a lot of bad advice in this thread.

1. your rotors are warped. Get them turned.
2. you shouldn't need new pads, if you do; get new ones.

wow... Why is this soo hard to figure out? you should upgrade to slotted rotors if you drive hard.

Ceramic rotors are for extreme performance vehicles. The are crazy expensive. To upgrade over the steel brakes on a CLS 63 AMG is $12,000 option.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Oh the irony...
Old 01-07-2013, 01:17 PM
alanz
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCal09G37
Jeez there is a lot of bad advice in this thread.

1. your rotors are warped. Get them turned.
2. you shouldn't need new pads, if you do; get new ones.

wow... Why is this soo hard to figure out? you should upgrade to slotted rotors if you drive hard.

Ceramic rotors are for extreme performance vehicles. The are crazy expensive. To upgrade over the steel brakes on a CLS 63 AMG is $12,000 option.
Get slotted rotor if you drive hard?

I thought slotted or drilled rotors are prone to warping.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:01 PM
mystikal
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i took my car in last week for this issue...and they resurfaced the front rotors for free...
Old 01-10-2013, 03:22 PM
dholmblad
Registered Member

I would just replace them by yourself can pick up 4 quality rotors for <$400.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:51 AM
J0KER

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SOCAL got it right......
Infiniti will resurface rotors under warranty if your concern is steering wheel vibration or brake noise. Rotors can be resurfaced several times before needing to be replaced.
Ceramic rotors are garbage and will actually decrease stopping power on the vehicle.
If you are planning on keeping the vehicle for a long time when you replace the rotors invest in drilled and slotted rotors, this will not effect the braking tendencies on the vehicle and will keep the rotors from warping. The reason brake rotors warp is because of excessive heat build up between the brake pad and the rotor. The advantage of the D/S rotors is that it displaces the heat and fights off rotor warpage.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by J0KER
SOCAL got it right......
Infiniti will resurface rotors under warranty if your concern is steering wheel vibration or brake noise. Rotors can be resurfaced several times before needing to be replaced.
Ceramic rotors are garbage and will actually decrease stopping power on the vehicle.
If you are planning on keeping the vehicle for a long time when you replace the rotors invest in drilled and slotted rotors, this will not effect the braking tendencies on the vehicle and will keep the rotors from warping. The reason brake rotors warp is because of excessive heat build up between the brake pad and the rotor. The advantage of the D/S rotors is that it displaces the heat and fights off rotor warpage.
Are you serious or trolling?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:44 AM
KNS Brakes
Former Sponsor

My guess is trolling. Drilled rotors have nothing to do with heat dissipation, they only crack under pressure. Slotted on the other hand does help, I wouldn't say with heat dissipation but they do help clean the pads / deglaze the pads to help prevent against judder issues. Rotors don't warp, they have pad deposits on the rotors, and when you brake the steering wheel judders from the pad going from a friction surface to a non friction surface.

-Nick
Old 01-17-2013, 12:47 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by KNS Brakes
Rotors don't warp, they have pad deposits on the rotors, and when you brake the steering wheel judders from the pad going from a friction surface to a non friction surface.

-Nick

Thats a blanket statement. Rotors DO warp.
Maybe in "his" case the deposits are causing the judder.

I've put enough rotors on a lathe with a runout gauge to tell you they DO warp.
This was also before ceramic pads came about. Metallic pads never left deposits, and rotors warped. Organic/asbestos pads never left deposits, and rotors warped.

Also "bedding" is not necessary with a normally driven street car. Drive a few miles without overheating the brakes, enough friction material will coat the rotor.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:16 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Also don't for get cheap no name rotors will warp faster Vs a good brand rotors will.

I recommend Stoptech or DBA.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

You do realize that a lot of the "brand name" rotors marketed by some companies are all made by the same manufacturer but branded differently right? Centric isn't a big name aftermarket performance name but make a lot of rotors and other brake parts and accessories marketed by a lot of companies. Power Slot and Stop Tech are two of them. As well as your garden variety $25 house brand replacement rotor you get at the local auto parts store.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:32 PM
KNS Brakes
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Thats a blanket statement. Rotors DO warp.
Maybe in "his" case the deposits are causing the judder.

I've put enough rotors on a lathe with a runout gauge to tell you they DO warp.
This was also before ceramic pads came about. Metallic pads never left deposits, and rotors warped. Organic/asbestos pads never left deposits, and rotors warped.

Also "bedding" is not necessary with a normally driven street car. Drive a few miles without overheating the brakes, enough friction material will coat the rotor.
This is correct.

I would expect that an uneven transfer layer is most often the cause of judder not an out of round rotor. Ceramic type pads can struggle w/ hard use.

I do like bedding in pads to know they are set and done - but we do have overzealous customers at times who do more harm then good by overdoing it.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:47 PM
KNS Brakes
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Black Betty
You do realize that a lot of the "brand name" rotors marketed by some companies are all made by the same manufacturer but branded differently right? Centric isn't a big name aftermarket performance name but make a lot of rotors and other brake parts and accessories marketed by a lot of companies. Power Slot and Stop Tech are two of them. As well as your garden variety $25 house brand replacement rotor you get at the local auto parts store.
I do know Centric makes Powerslot and Stoptech brands. They are generally made from the 'Centric Premium' line although in certain applications they have enhanced materials (the High Carbon line) and design (adding curved vanes etc)

Centric also has the standard C-tek line - this is the economy line. Fairly significantly different than the Premium's. Pretty sure all comes from China.

The C-tek line is often the base rotor for many 'Ebay' type performance rotors that are then slotted/coated etc and sold in packages w/ cheap pads etc.

DBA makes there own rotor tooling top to bottom. The foundry is right next to them in AU.

NAPA sources similarly to Centric - and they are all the BPI parts which also brand as Aimco and Raybestos.

The big chain stores all go to China themselves and do the store brand thing.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:09 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by KNS Brakes
we do have overzealous customers at times who do more harm then good by overdoing it.

Yes, that was also my reasoning.
I over bedded EBC Green pads on my truck, and never recovered.

Quick Reply: Rotors warped - Need Advice!