Brakes!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 12:43 PM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
To bad your not local or i would sell you my Akebono. But they are still on my car. LOL. Saving money for stoptech.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:46 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
I do a lot of early drives myself and have learned over the past two decades that there is no such thing as an empty road. Yes, there may be no cars, but have seen everywhere from small birds to deer, cow's to horses that just rush in front of you, on an interstate, only to have their guts splattered all over the place. Ever saw a long line of snaking intestines lining several lanes before? Not a pretty sight. Even closed race circuits are prone to that random act of nature.

By Stoptech, i meant the actual BBK, not just the pads. Granted, i use their Street Performance pads, it's really only good for the occasional light track day. The way you make it sound you're either there on a daily basis, or worse.

If you just want to switch pads, try looking into the Carbotech line-up. You can go from light street to all-out track without having to resurface your rotors between any of them. Basically you can switch from, say, a Bobcat for light street, to an XP12 for heavy track all in the same day and vice versa without resurfacing as the compounds are compatible with each other.

This was the second cow of the day. I saw this one from a distance. Plenty of time to pull over and grab the camera. I was on the bike. The first one I almost rear ended as I came around a tight right hand corner at a decent clip. Had to pull over afterwards to collect myself. Probably came with 5' of hitting its @ss end.

Mike, is the stoptech bbk that much better than the akebonos?

How would you characterize the differences between the Street Performance pads and the Carbotech series?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:01 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
LOL! I find that hilarious. That, and you've got an awesome drive, cows and all.

The Stoptech BBK is known to be one of the better kits, but i honestly have no way to compare it to the Akebono's. The Akebono's seem stiff enough, but have read anecdotal evidence from Z owners of it flexing under extremes. ST and AP Racing are just better in that regard, plus most of those applications don't have the rubber dust boots that are prone to fail.

Oversimplifying, but just certain things to think about.

Between the ST-SP pads and Carbotech. What Carbotech has going for them is the ability to step up in stopping power without having to resurface rotors, and they're one of the few with a higher ceramic content. Not to mention just the sheer number of choices. There are documented issues with Carbotech and Racing Brake rotors, however.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:33 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo

Mike, is the stoptech bbk that much better than the akebonos?
Performance-wise? Yes. I have had both...

That said, I have had two Stop-Tech big brakes (one on my Z and one on my G) and I will not be purchasing another one, but not because of lack of performance.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Interesting. I was thinking of going with the ST:SP as I really have no intention of ever tracking the car, but do want some better initial bite and overall better braking. Functionality in cool/cold is important too as the G is my daily driver. Likely sticking with stock rotors too.

As for the pic, that was on a road trip out in middle of nowhere WI a few years ago. Given the level of traffic around here, even a chevette would be plenty of car.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:05 PM
KNS Brakes
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wickedsnow
I'm the kind of person that enjoys driving like i'm at a track everywhere I go. Which means I brake hard as hell.

Example: I had my stock rotors and pads changed last year at this time. After one year, they are warped to hell.

I want a set of rotors and pads that won't break the bank, but will do one hell of a job staying cool braking from 120-0 everyday and last.

Any suggestions?
I can help you out with what you're looking for, what kind of car do you have? I would recommend a Ferodo DS2500 Pad, Hawk HPS or a Stoptech pad. Depended on what car you have would depend on the rotor, I would say a DBA T2 but they do not made that rotor for all G37s.

-Nick
Old 11-09-2012, 04:06 PM
adamsrotors
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we have great street driver rotors, fully customizable for the enthusiast who pushes the car to the limits on the track and twisties too.
13 patterns, 3 zinc finished, 5 hub coatings, and killer pads & line packages too!

HERE is our main thread here on myG37 and be sure to visit our website in our signature below...

email us if you have any questions!
-a