Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Eibach sway bars review

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Yep J, this is a very thorough covering of the sways, great that you put them on your to-do list. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on these once you get some seat time w/ them. I'm still on the fence as I'm kind of leaning towards Soundmikes' train of thought regarding comfort becoming more important as father time marches on
Well, Newt, you know that you and I are pretty much the same age, and that I understand how automotive values change as we mature. But based on my experiences modding my last car, I'm at a place where Ash's comments right here resonate with me as if I'd written them myself:

Originally Posted by ashmostro
Overall enjoyment in the drive is up due to increased road feel. I think I actually prefer the slight increase in harshness because I'm getting more feedback from both sides of the car and the steering feels more talkative too.
It's going to be a few months yet as they sit in the corner of my office (mocking me) while Winter winds down. But when the time comes, I'm going to piggyback this thread and add my 2 -cents to the OP's. I love observing nuance about the car, and writing about it. Even though I suspect there won't be much to add, LOL.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:43 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Newt, here's an idea. After the Eibach's go on the car, I'm going to have a set of OEM Sport Sways for the RWD Sedan, just collecting dust in my attic. If you want them as a far less expensive, and middle-ground upgrade, maybe that's the way for you to go.

You and I have a like-minded history here, so they're yours for the asking at a very fair cost, and I won't start a FS thread for them. PM me if you're interested.

From Ash to me to you, I'm feeling the Karma, baby!

Last edited by Rochester; 02-17-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:45 AM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad to see this thread is still helpful to some! I will reach out to a mod about the title- good suggestion, Rochester.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:58 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
All I have done for suspension is put the KW V3's on. I am loving that mod, but you three have me seriously considering the Eibach sways now.

I should probably consider a camber kit, too.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:23 AM
ashmostro

To be honest, a quality coil with a high spring rate is a better solution than sways on stock suspenders. It's just that the alternative is much cheaper and effective (but harsher).

Make sure you really need the sways if you already have coils. Do you have to much body roll?
Old 02-17-2013, 11:50 AM
ashmostro

Gents how do I go about contacting a moderator to get a thread renamed? I've never done that before and can't seem to find a link to do so...

Thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Gents how do I go about contacting a moderator to get a thread renamed? I've never done that before and can't seem to find a link to do so...

Thanks
Just PM Black Betty.

BTW, Ash, you're right about CO's. After nearly 10 years with my last car, I had a Progress rear sway bar (on a car that had no RSB), a Racingline front-strut tower brace, a Stillen rear-strut tower brace, solid poly bushings from Energy Suspension in the engine torque mounts and lower control arms and FSB frame connectors. I also had new wheel bearings, MOOG replacement parts in the FSB end-links, tie-rod ends and ball-joints. There were subframe collars underneath, and a new set of Tokico struts with Moog strut bearings. I even had a custom engine brace from NWP Engineering that they called a Torque Link. Believe me when I say this: the car was rock solid, and vastly better than when I bought it new back in 2003, particularly on the Goodyear Eagle F1 tires I was so fond of.

And yet, AND YET! (LOL) after all that it still couldn't handle as well as a friend's identical model car which had all original parts and zero suspension mods... except for a used set of Tein SS Coilovers. Point in fact, his car was two years older than mine, with twice the number miles on it.

Long story short and lesson learned: Coilovers > everything else combined.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-17-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:16 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Newt, here's an idea. After the Eibach's go on the car, I'm going to have a set of OEM Sport Sways for the RWD Sedan, just collecting dust in my attic. If you want them as a far less expensive, and middle-ground upgrade, maybe that's the way for you to go.

You and I have a like-minded history here, so they're yours for the asking at a very fair cost, and I won't start a FS thread for them. PM me if you're interested.

From Ash to me to you, I'm feeling the Karma, baby!
You've definitely got me thinking Going w/ S sways may be a great compromise, since my Coils are giving me the exact ride I'm wanting, the S sways wouldn't be too much on the firmness scale, I know the ride wouldn't get to the point that it was when I had my slammed springs for sure. The S sways are a nice upgrade over the base Journey sways and may be the perfect final piece of the puzzle. Once you get everything together on your G just let me know what you're wanting and I'm fairly certain I'll be taking them off your hands. Just let me know And thanks a bunch for the offer.

Ash, nice to see you hanging around, I'd sure like to see more of your 3 if you want to share, and if not a PM would be just fine
Bet you're loving that beast!
Old 02-17-2013, 05:27 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
To be honest, a quality coil with a high spring rate is a better solution than sways on stock suspenders. It's just that the alternative is much cheaper and effective (but harsher).

Make sure you really need the sways if you already have coils. Do you have to much body roll?
Actually, it handles great. I'm just thinking along the lines of "more is better!" even though we all know that isn't necessarily so.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Long story short and lesson learned: Coilovers > everything else combined.
Well, alrighty then... given the two opinions above, I will pour myself a cup of stfu and dance with the girl I got. Thanks for the input, fellas.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:41 PM
ashmostro

Originally Posted by MACS
I will pour myself a cup of stfu

hilarious, dude!

As for more pics, here you go!

new brakes:

Latest mod plans:
1) I'm designing and building my own oil cooler solution. The options in the BMW aftermarket are obscenely priced, so I'm making my own and will make that information available to the public so they can do the same if they want.

2) I have a 7" FMIC on order. The stock FMIC heat soaks on the track

3) Michelin PSS tires in much wider than stock fitment (245/275 vs 225/255). Makes a huge difference.

3) M3 front suspension arms, M3 rear subframe bushings, ground control coilovers, and *maybe* M3 sway bars.

4) OS Giken LSD, later in the year most likely

5) drive it like I stole it! can't wait for my first trackday of 2013 in March!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:15 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Latest mod plans:
1) I'm designing and building my own oil cooler solution. The options in the BMW aftermarket are obscenely priced, so I'm making my own and will make that information available to the public so they can do the same if they want.

2) I have a 7" FMIC on order. The stock FMIC heat soaks on the track

3) Michelin PSS tires in much wider than stock fitment (245/275 vs 225/255). Makes a huge difference.

3) M3 front suspension arms, M3 rear subframe bushings, ground control coilovers, and *maybe* M3 sway bars.

4) OS Giken LSD, later in the year most likely

5) drive it like I stole it! can't wait for my first trackday of 2013 in March!
Damn, nice list, those big treads should really stick like glue and ride on rails, you're going to have to have your smile surgically removed after that first track day. Thanks for the pics, looking NIIIICE!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:18 PM
ashmostro

Doh, I should have clarified the tires are not plans- they are on the car! You can see that in the pics.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:25 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Doh, I should have clarified the tires are not plans- they are on the car! You can see that in the pics.
Guess I should click on the enlarge pic tab, DOH!!
Nice to have those serious tires on there to match the improved torque of those TTs.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:29 PM
ashmostro

No man, that was my bad. Poorly-written post!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Looks like Newt and I have an arrangement for my OEM Sport Sways. I must say, this whole thing has worked out quite well for everyone. I'm certainly looking forward to springtime.

And I love it when a plan comes together.

Quick Reply: Eibach sway bars review