KW Variant 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 02:20 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
KW Variant 3

I've had a number of PM's asking me what I think of these coil overs, so I thought I'd share my thoughts here, in case anyone else has been contemplating a purchase.

The KW V3 are 14-way adjustable. You can adjust the ride height, but you can also adjust the ride comfort. 1 is the softest ride with 14 being the stiffest. The stock sport suspension, at least to me, was already pretty stiff. I have my suspension set at 11 in front and 9 in the back. The front is higher because of the engine weight.

At these settings, yes, I can feel every bump and dip in the road, but she corners like she's on rails and there is almost no front dip when I get on the brakes hard, or rear squat when I mash the accelerator.

It isn't harsh like a riced out civic on springs, where if you hit a bump you come out of your seat... but you will give up a small amount of ride comfort for performance if you set them higher; that's just the nature of the beast.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with this mod. I believe with this system, you really can't go wrong. There are so many adjustments that almost anyone can find the right setting for them, IMO.

KW coilover Variant 3 /// Coilovers with State-of-the-art technology from motor sports

That link explains it pretty well, but from the standpoint of a driver who has had the coil overs on for a few months now... I love them.

IMO, the best mod you can make to your car in terms of performance. What good is having a fast car, or improving your overall speed and HP, if you have to slow down in the corners?
Old 11-18-2011, 10:06 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
very nice lol - i still don't understand what it is about these coils in particular that makes them so great though. no doubt that EVERYONE seems to have a positive experience with the kw v3', but is it just...the name brand? they're rather pricey compared to other coils and "ride comfort/quality" seems subjective to each and every user. would i purchase them? probably, but based on their reputation. does that make sense? not a flame post, MAC. just trying my best to understand

your last comment cracked me up by the way - lol "what good is having a fast car, or improving your overall speed and HP, if you have to slow down in the corners?" HAH!
Old 11-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Soliditude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great write up, man! If only I had the money for these right now, I'd be ordering them.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:01 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
eksigned - to be honest, I can't really compare them to anything but the stock sport suspension. I have not tried other coil over systems, nor have I tried springs.

What I did do was research. I used opinions from others who had tried other systems, and from people who know a lot more about suspension than I do. Most of them endorsed the KW V3, so that's where I went.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:19 PM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by eksigned
very nice lol - i still don't understand what it is about these coils in particular that makes them so great though. no doubt that EVERYONE seems to have a positive experience with the kw v3', but is it just...the name brand? they're rather pricey compared to other coils and "ride comfort/quality" seems subjective to each and every user. would i purchase them? probably, but based on their reputation. does that make sense? not a flame post, MAC. just trying my best to understand

your last comment cracked me up by the way - lol "what good is having a fast car, or improving your overall speed and HP, if you have to slow down in the corners?" HAH!
i had these on my old em2, the ride quality was beyond better than say BC Racing.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:46 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35
i had these on my old em2, the ride quality was beyond better than say BC Racing.

not even a ? about that comment! LOVE my KW's, wouldn't go any other way.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:26 PM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i thought i would just throw that out their...... if KW would even bother make a setup for the AWD's(they arent) I would get it.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:49 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
OP_ That s a nice review. thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Originally Posted by eksigned

Kw3 do get a lot of praise and I think it's well deserved. I've personally ridden in a car that had them and seen them in action. Granted I don't know what the dampening was set to but it did not feel harsh at all. stiffer than stock yes but definitely not harsh. I personally run the Tein SS-P and I couldn't really tell the difference between the two systems. before that I had stock sport, then NF210 springs all around and finally Eibach front/NF210 spring combo.
The improvement in handling I experienced from going to my Tein coilovers from those previous spring setups is like night and day. It s hard to understand until you experience it for yourself. If you have the cash, go Kw3 but if you to save a bit and still get a quality system then go Tein SSP or Tein Flex. They are both below 2k.

Last edited by soolman32; 11-21-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:27 PM
icfp1980

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great review. Love mine too!
Old 12-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Gville37

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
would KW3 be overkill for an 08G37S Coupe 5AT DD and track2/3 per year? Or should I focus my attention on the KW1/2 and or Tein Flex?
Old 12-22-2011, 12:03 PM
thejumpoff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you guys have your KW's rebound and compression set to?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:07 AM
Kuro
Registered Member

Received 183 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Gville37
would KW3 be overkill for an 08G37S Coupe 5AT DD and track2/3 per year? Or should I focus my attention on the KW1/2 and or Tein Flex?
I don't know but I'm rocking KW V3 even I don't track my car
Old 12-23-2011, 01:52 AM
J2S2M

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
This is next on the "to buy" list. Hopefully I can treat myself soon!
Old 12-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Gville37

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
haha. yea ive just got the christmas spirit going right now..aka spend money on my G
Old 01-30-2012, 04:06 AM
docaam

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
any idea about stock rebound setting?

Does your rear passenger if any feels bumpy ride? I am trying to find a balance setting for my sedan

Last edited by docaam; 01-31-2012 at 03:10 AM.

Quick Reply: KW Variant 3