Brake squeal solved

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:27 PM
daveg37com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake squeal solved

Like many members here i too have had my rotors cut and brake pads changed only to hear the squeal all over again and even worse. i took the vehicle back to the mechanic only to be told that he could not duplicate the noise and nothing he could do. So I take my vehicle to the local Brake Check for a free check and was told that the reason for my brake squeal is due to the previous mechanic not putting the shims back on. I call the mechanic and explain this to him and he says the replacement brake pads did not come with shims. The mechanic at brake check tells me to ask him for the original shims that were already on the vehicle. So i call the original mechanic and he says he still has them and will put them on. i got the vehicle back and i am proud to say no brake squeal. I am so happy and this only took almost a month.

i hope this helps some of you in getting your G rid of that horrible brake squeal.

The brake pads used were OEM pads the come with the BBK.

Last edited by daveg37com; 03-15-2011 at 10:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-15-2011, 09:50 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
nice good info man
Old 03-15-2011, 10:45 PM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good first post! welcome
Old 03-15-2011, 10:49 PM
daveg37com

Thanks. great to be here
Old 03-16-2011, 02:59 AM
tWistedMissiOn
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have not changed or touched anything on my brakes.. but i still squeal... this happens pretty often this last week(i had the car for nearly a year, but had never squeal until lately)... does this mean i need to change anything so it won't squeal? Or do i just have to bear with this?
Old 03-16-2011, 03:03 AM
Doggy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1^^^^ started a few days ago for me too
Old 03-16-2011, 03:28 AM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
It's a commonly known fact that most Nissan/Infiniti brakes seem so squeal, especially in reverse. Most common in the early morning while the rotors and pads are still cold. My G does it, my moms Maurano does it, my brothers Frontier does it, and my buddies Z does it... It's just something that I've learned to live with. Once everything heats up the sound goes away. I'm at 20K miles on my OEM pads with no signs of being worn out.
The following users liked this post:
Krzysztof47 (05-28-2023)
Old 03-16-2011, 03:45 AM
roots4x

I've had an Altima, G35 coupe, and now a G37 sedan. I also drive many many Versas, Sentras, and Altimas as rental cars and I've never noticed any brake squeal. Does my anecdotal evidence trump yours?

And what is this "commonly known fact" you're talking about?
Old 03-16-2011, 04:39 AM
JL.G37

Originally Posted by GraphiteG37S
It's a commonly known fact that most Nissan/Infiniti brakes seem so squeal, especially in reverse. Most common in the early morning while the rotors and pads are still cold. My G does it, my moms Maurano does it, my brothers Frontier does it, and my buddies Z does it... It's just something that I've learned to live with. Once everything heats up the sound goes away. I'm at 20K miles on my OEM pads with no signs of being worn out.
Me too. My mom's 06 Murano did this too.Only in reverse too. Dealer fixed it under warranty and the sound came back a while after. So I just didn't bother with the G. BUT its so loud sometimes and freaking embarrasing
Old 03-16-2011, 09:34 AM
Romulus1

im pretty sure i got a new set of shims with my front pads when i replaced them.... maybe i was lucky, i know the backs dont come with em for sure cuz i have the set in my truck ready to go, i really need to do them im wearing them super thing
Old 03-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Harley'sG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought the carbotech bobcat pads and made sure I used synthetic caliper grease and no more squealing. Wasn't terrible before and like most folks it was happening in reverse only but nothing now. If you don't use a synthetic grease then you run the risk of having the noise come back. BTW...it's not just Nissan/Infiniti, my wife's Lexus does it in the morning as well.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:36 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GraphiteG37S
thats funny, even my 2002 maxima does it. (even with a slotted & drilled rotor upgrade)
it really depends on the brake pad material that you have, the moisture in the air, and how long the car sat for.
brake dust naturally collects on the rotor & pads, and will rust in as little as 4-6hours. if there is rain or moisture in the air, it will REALLY rust. that brake dust rusting quickly is what causes the squeak. once moisture affects it, the rust actually builds up and connects the pads and rotors for a brief few feet- and once the car moves it scratches itself off.
now if the car is driven for some time, and it still squeaks = shims.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Topher9425
Premier Member

Received 122 Likes on 115 Posts
My G37-S does it too.....but normally only in the morning after pulling out of my garage.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:00 AM
671slandBlue

Yea mine squealed when I first got it, in REVERSE though. Took it to the dealer, they fixed the problem...so for about 4-5 months, it's been rolling nice n quiet...buuuuut...for some reason...now, in the early AM, going FORWARD out of my garage, it squeals! But only right when I'm pulling out of the garage...cuz by the time I hit the first stop sign in the neighborhood...ummmm..it's quiet lol Not sure what's up with that!?!
Old 03-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
you want brake squeal, listen to my setup of stop tech drilled rotors along with hawk HP+ pads..squeaking galore baby, but once they are warmed up, the bite like none other...

and cause massive massive brake dust

Quick Reply: Brake squeal solved