Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Ballast, Headlight, or Both?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 08:48 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
Ballast, Headlight, or Both?

About a month ago, passenger side headlight went out. I looked at the light and there is condensation inside the headlight lens. I didn't think that would cause the bulb to go out, but I replaced all front end lights at the same time anyway (super bright LED turn signals, new parking lights, and new 6k headlights). Everything looked great for about a week or two until I noticed the same passenger side bulb was out again. Should I replace both headlight assemblies (which are faded and this will fix the condensation in pass side one), or just replace ballast first to see if that fixes my issue?
Old 11-04-2021, 09:48 PM
Ponyryd
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I would swap the bulb with the other side to see if it’s just a bulb failure. Light bulbs generally don’t like being wet, so if the bulb is a lower-quality unit, the condensation could cause it to fail quicker than you expect.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:13 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Ponyryd
Light bulbs generally don’t like being wet, so if the bulb is a lower-quality unit, the condensation could cause it to fail quicker than you expect.
It is not like the whole headlight has condensation, it is just the main, front rounded part for the projector area. It also doesn't touch the bulb at all either since the bulb is behind the projector. I will try this idea and see what happens