Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Fog light install

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 10:33 AM
nvielbig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog light install

Hello all,

my chrome fog light ring/bezel got completely destroyed over the winter. I bought a replacement. This morning I realized that I don’t think you can pop this chrome ring in from the outside of the bumper, that I’ll have to go from the inside. Take the bumper off. More work than I anticipated.

1. i am wondering if there is a guide on doing this? I haven’t taken my bumper off before.

2. While I am doing this I figure it’s a good time to change the fog light bulb from the yellowish OEM one, to something that has a color closer to the car’s headlights. Any recommendations on bulbs for that?

any advice in general is appreciated.
Nick

Last edited by nvielbig; 05-04-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:26 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by nvielbig
Hello all,

my chrome fog light ring/bezel got completely destroyed over the winter. I bought a replacement. This morning I realized that I don’t think you can pop this chrome ring in from the outside of the bumper, that I’ll have to go from the inside. Take the bumper off. More work than I anticipated.

1. i am wondering if there is a guide on doing this? I haven’t taken my bumper off before.

2. While I am doing this I figure it’s a good time to change the fog light bulb from the yellowish OEM one, to something that has a color closer to the car’s headlights. Any recommendations on bulbs for that?

any advice in general is appreciated.
Nick
Why would you want to diminish your ability to see in fog or bad weather?

Google it!

"So despite what you may read online, yellow fog or driving lights can actually improve a night drive, especially in bad conditions. Not because they have a greater range or penetrate fog to a greater degree, but because yellow light is easier for our eyes to process, providing better definition."

If you were ever involved in an accident in poor visibility and you changed out the fog lights the police report/and or insurance company would most likely judge you to be judged at fault

Telcoman
Old 05-04-2019, 11:27 AM
nvielbig

Originally Posted by telcoman
Why would you want to diminish your ability to see in fog or bad weather?

Google it!

"So despite what you may read online, yellow fog or driving lights can actually improve a night drive, especially in bad conditions. Not because they have a greater range or penetrate fog to a greater degree, but because yellow light is easier for our eyes to process, providing better definition."

If you were ever involved in an accident in poor visibility and you changed out the fog lights the police report/and or insurance company would most likely judge you to be judged at fault

Telcoman
interesting, I honestly had zero idea that was the case. Lots of modern cars have white led’s for their fog lights though?
Old 05-04-2019, 12:19 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman

You're not wrong about seeing worse in fog with white light, but let's be realistic and say this is absolutely incorrect. Try not spreading completely false info.

OP, if you're lucky it's the driver side which is easily accessed by turning your wheels to the right and going in through the fender liner. Passenger side sucks because the washer fluid tank is there and you have to go partially in from underneath by removing part of the splash tray.
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (05-06-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 12:20 PM
nvielbig

Originally Posted by Epiphany
You're not wrong about seeing worse in fog with white light, but let's be realistic and say this is absolutely incorrect. Try not spreading completely false info.

OP, if you're lucky it's the driver side which is easily accessed by turning your wheels to the right and going in through the fender liner. Passenger side sucks because the washer fluid tank is there and you have to go partially in from underneath by removing part of the splash tray.
Thanks for the reply. I am not lucky, it is the passenger side
Old 05-05-2019, 06:09 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by nvielbig
Thanks for the reply. I am not lucky, it is the passenger side
That sucks. It's still doable without removing the bumper but it's not going to be super fun. You'll want to jack the car up or go on ramps or something and remove the front corner splash shield and pull it back to access everything from underneath. There should be some good videos on YouTube or here that show you what to do since you'll be doing a little bit of it blind.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:34 PM
nvielbig

Originally Posted by Epiphany
That sucks. It's still doable without removing the bumper but it's not going to be super fun. You'll want to jack the car up or go on ramps or something and remove the front corner splash shield and pull it back to access everything from underneath. There should be some good videos on YouTube or here that show you what to do since you'll be doing a little bit of it blind.
damn! Well, I’m no mechanic personally, but my dad should be able to give me a hand with it. I’ll watch some videos on it and try to get an idea of what’s gotta be done.

any opinions on lights? To be completely honest I don’t even have my fog lights on often, so the yellow vs. white debate seems irrelevant to me. I just would love the look if the fog lights matched the headlights more. I probably shouldn’t get LED foglights? I imagine that might not look great with non-LED headlights?