Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Door Damage and Coupe B and C Pillar Help

Old 10-25-2017, 03:27 AM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Door Damage and Coupe B and C Pillar Help

I recently noticed a large door ding type damage and one inch scratch near the driver's side door handle. Both defects are down to the primer. It is very noticeable to me and an estimate for repair for an out-of-pocket payment at a very reputable shop came out to $1400. (My G is otherwise in pristine condition.)

The reason for the high price is because the damage is so close to the edge of the door, the large rear quarter panel underneath the rear side window has to be paint blended for a good color match. That means the rear side window has to be cut out so that the rear quarter is fully accessible and the panel can be properly sprayed. The glued exterior window trim on the window also obstructs full access to the panel. (The original estimate was $1800 because the shop stated that the rear side window could not be reused after removal according to the manufacturer. However I got them to agree to reuse my the window at a $400 reduction to the original estimate.)

So in order to cut out the rear side window, it appears the interior B and C pillars and side interior passenger panel and possibly the rear seat have to be removed. This shop does excellent paint matching and paint and body work but based on my previous experience, any work that involves removing interior parts results in scratches to plastic parts and dirt on cloth areas. I'm considering removing all the interior trim parts near the rear side window before dropping it off at the shop.

Do I have to take off both the B and C pillars to have clear access to the window? Does the rear passenger side interior panel need to be removed? The back seat? Any tips or advice on removing these parts? (I've only have experience taking off the interior door panel which was a breeze.) Any thoughts on what you would do in my situation? Any pics of any work you've done would be very helpful.

Your input would be much appreciated. Thank you.

UCLAg37
Attached Thumbnails Door Damage and Coupe B and C Pillar Help-g37-door-damage.jpg  
Old 10-25-2017, 05:21 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Yes if you want the repair to not be visible
Old 10-27-2017, 10:55 PM
GLife14
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I would touch it up and forget about it
Old 10-28-2017, 02:06 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Paintless dent repair then touch up paint.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:41 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Pdr won't pull all of if out

Search this Thread