Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Lights work intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 09:23 PM
jimmythemoose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lights work intermittently

I recently bought a 2009 G37x. I went to drive it today at night, and the lights didn't turn on. The green light on the dashboard (or blue light for brights) turned on and the backlight around the dials dimmed, but the lights didn't turn on and the lights around the radio/center console didn't turn on either.

I drove home with my hazards for a while but then the road started getting too dark so I tried the lights again. This time, the lights worked, the center console light also went on, and I was able to switch back and forth between the brights and regular lights no problem.

Anyone have any ideas? It doesn't see like it's a fuse as it sometimes works.

I have 30 days where I can return the car to the dealer, and I'm bringing it in tomorrow to get it inspected/checked out (unfortunately not to the place I bought it because I am 200 miles away right now), but is this potentially the sign of a lemon and I should get a refund? It only has ~55k miles and looks to be in pretty much perfect shape.

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:13 PM
jimmythemoose

The car passed the inspection today but I don't know what to do. Do people think this is a cheap/easy fix? If so, I may just pay them to look at it where I am now and pay out of pocket. Otherwise, I'll see if I can bring it back to where I bought it and have them look for free, but getting it back there is kind of a pain. Because it's an intermittent problem, I'm worried it will be hard to diagnose/fix.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:01 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
Sorry to say, this is not a common or easily solved problem with any Infiniti. Intermittent issues with the lighting system could be multifaceted and not knowing anything about your G37X means none of us can accurately diagnose what the problem is. There's a chance a diagnostic scan of the BCM (body control module) will reveal a clue, but with your options limited, take it back and hope the original dealership can repair the problem, or replace the car.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:56 PM
jimmythemoose

Thanks. I brought the car into Infiniti and they couldn't reproduce the problem. They ran the diagnostics and nothing looked wrong. They were going to send me on my way but suggested that the tech could drive the car home that night to see if he could reproduce the issue. Luckily, he was able to and he said the wipers didn't work either. He then somehow diagnosed it as a problem with the BCM module, which needs to be replaced (for~$800). Hopefully the used car dealer I bought the car from will cover it.