Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Help Police lineup of window troubleshooting.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 05:40 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Police lineup of window troubleshooting.

Driver's side rear window won't roll down with any buttons. I have (just for the hell of it) done the window reset thing too. Who are the usual suspects and who should I pull into the interview room first?
Old 04-01-2015, 05:53 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Window switch.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:57 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Window switch.
Both? Neither the driver's switch and the rear passenger switch will work. Sorry if I didn't post that earlier.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:50 PM
vqsmile

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
I'm not sure if it's this was with these cars, but I have seen with other makes that they will route the local window controls back through the driver's master control, such that if the master fails, then the local switch will not function either. So if you had just one window (say the passenger rear) not working, it could either be the local rear switch OR the driver's master switch. When you had multiple switches not working though (say both rears or a front and a rear), then you could be pretty sure it was just the master switch, as it's unlikely to see multiple local switch failures simultaneously.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:21 AM
Flakman
Registered Member

Originally Posted by vqsmile
I'm not sure if it's this was with these cars, but I have seen with other makes that they will route the local window controls back through the driver's master control, such that if the master fails, then the local switch will not function either. So if you had just one window (say the passenger rear) not working, it could either be the local rear switch OR the driver's master switch. When you had multiple switches not working though (say both rears or a front and a rear), then you could be pretty sure it was just the master switch, as it's unlikely to see multiple local switch failures simultaneously.

Interesting. Would this affect things if I were to remove one switch? Just wondering the best way to test.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:27 AM
vqsmile

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Flakman
Interesting. Would this affect things if I were to remove one switch? Just wondering the best way to test.
There are basic diagnostic procedures for the window switches listed in the FSM under the PWC section starting on page PWC-16: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G37/Sedan/2009/PWC.pdf
The following users liked this post:
Flakman (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 11:16 AM
Flakman
Registered Member

Got those downloaded locally. Will check that out. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2015, 09:26 AM
BrianJC

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, I couldn't believe it but my rear passenger window didn't work either on my newer purchased CPO car. From either the drive or the rear switch. It turned out to be that the cable was unplugged from the motor on the rear window and when they plugged it back in the driver switch was faulty and causing the window to continually roll down. They replaced the driver switch and it was all good. That kills me that the dealership claimed that this was a CPO car with I've had several issues on the car. They are supposed to be fixing them for me know but seriously verifying that the engine, lights, windows all work should be in the top 3 things to verify.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:08 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BrianJC
Well, I couldn't believe it but my rear passenger window didn't work either on my newer purchased CPO car. From either the drive or the rear switch. It turned out to be that the cable was unplugged from the motor on the rear window and when they plugged it back in the driver switch was faulty and causing the window to continually roll down. They replaced the driver switch and it was all good. That kills me that the dealership claimed that this was a CPO car with I've had several issues on the car. They are supposed to be fixing them for me know but seriously verifying that the engine, lights, windows all work should be in the top 3 things to verify.
Interesting. One would assume they would check things like that for CPO. Though they will fix it under warranty so it would be their dime (except for the time you have to take to take it in). My window was actually working last week. Just haven't had the time to take the door and switches apart to check.

Gonna see if the switches are basically the same. I can swap switches and see if things work. This will be the beginning of my troubleshooting.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:14 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Guys, a CPO car is just a used car with a better warranty. Which is good. But they don't check anything at all that they don't check on any other used car. And the people doing the checking aren't always that competent or their give-a-damn isn't always fully intact. People are always shocked and surprised that the "rigorous 1,456 point CPO inspection" didn't catch problem X. Don't be. Just take it in for them to fix it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Black Betty:
Absinthe (04-03-2015), GAWD (04-06-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 03:42 AM
Flakman
Registered Member

Not sure if this helps...but I can hear a click at the window when I use the switch on the driver's door.