Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Headlight/Brakelight tint or overlays?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 10:41 AM
shake'n'baked

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Headlight/Brakelight tint or overlays?

Hey guys,
I've been looking into either tinting my headlights and brake lights or using overlays. IMHO the red brake lights are just too bright red. Anyways I'd love to see pics of what other community members have done and what recommendations you have!
Thanks

PS) If anyone has installed overlays themselves was it difficult? I understand I would need a heat gun or hair dryer.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:46 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
I don't see too many tinted headlights. I think that would be pretty dangerous to get an appropriate amount of tint going. It's better (in my humble opinion) to paint the shroud and keep your projectors working.

Taillights however, I seem them smoked out fairly often. In texas, it recently became illegal to have any amount of aftermarket tint on taillights. Vinyl overlays seem a little difficult to get perfectly right. If you want smoked taillights, I recommend using good old VHT niteshade. You can tune the darkness to exactly what you want, and it provides a much cleaner look, I think.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Here's a few DIY taillight thread, mine is for the sedan but a couple coupe DIYs if you click on the links in my thread~Agree about the tint on the headlights, much better to paint the inside of the headlight since it won't effect the projectors' output, and I've done quite a bit of vinyl work and IMO the headlight & taillight overlays are a tough install if you don't have vinyl experience. Here's the DIY~
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ils-sedan.html
Old 02-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
IMO you shouldn’t do any of the mods you suggest unless you’re sure the results will be legal in your state. If not, you chance creating a safety hazard and if involved in an accident because of this (e.g., being rear ended due to dim tail lights) your insurance company may deny your claim as a result of such tampering.