Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Broken Window HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Pollux_Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Window HELP!

Little background, my precious 2011 sedan (first car I bought new from the dealer) was broken into last weekend. The thieves busted the front right (passenger) window, nabbed the radar detector, and split.

I was able to get the plastic outside panel as well as the interior metal panel off the door using a guide I found to replace the window motor. Problem is, no matter how much I search, I can't find anything on how to seat the new glass. I am also assuming that there is some adjustments that need to be made after getting the glass seated for the auto up / down function to work correctly. The dealership wants almost $400 for the install. Anyone have a DIY guide with pics they can link me to? How about a link to a repair manual?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Attached Thumbnails Broken Window HELP!-bustedwindow.jpg  
Old 05-22-2013, 01:51 PM
PeterChau

Aww that's a real bummer. After you get it fixed, you could put Llumar films on all of your windows.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Pollux_Lawyer

Originally Posted by PeterChau
Aww that's a real bummer. After you get it fixed, you could put Llumar films on all of your windows.

LLumar Window Film Smash & Grab Lab Test - YouTube
I actually have the Llumar ceramic tint (not the safety film) on all my windows now. Did a pretty good job of holding all the glass together but I guess they were pretty determined to get into the car.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:58 PM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
This sucks man. Did you try 3d party glass installers? Might be cheaper than $400 that Infiniti dealer quoted you.

BTW, where was your radar detector mounted, was it obviously visible? I am thinking of getting one and was thinking of using Blend Mount to put it on the rear view mirror. Still worried about car getting broken into, so I will probably remove it whenever I park in public places.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Pollux_Lawyer

Originally Posted by FourT2
This sucks man. Did you try 3d party glass installers? Might be cheaper than $400 that Infiniti dealer quoted you.

BTW, where was your radar detector mounted, was it obviously visible? I am thinking of getting one and was thinking of using Blend Mount to put it on the rear view mirror. Still worried about car getting broken into, so I will probably remove it whenever I park in public places.
It was mounted to the windshield right underneath the mirror. Not obviously visible but not really hidden either.

Looked into 3rd part glass companies but most want you to use their glass. Thats where they make their money. I picked up some OEM glass for pretty cheap, just trying to get it into the car.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:20 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I think about the only safe place for the RD is above the mirror. Unless you really look closely, it hides pretty well behind the tint strip, both from the inside and outside of the car.

Otherwise, blendmount or any other mount below the mirror will be visible from the outside.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:02 PM
Pollux_Lawyer

Thanks to all for the posts about where to put the radar detector. I honestly don't think I will be replacing (it spent most of its life in the glove box) it so that point is moot. I would however like to replace the glass that they shattered. Can anyone help out with that?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:54 PM
superjer2000

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a link to the service manual when you go to the sedan sub forum. It is stickied at the top. The fsm details the required procedure. Look at the file gw.pdf
The following users liked this post:
Pollux_Lawyer (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Pollux_Lawyer

Originally Posted by superjer2000
There is a link to the service manual when you go to the sedan sub forum. It is stickied at the top. The fsm details the required procedure. Look at the file gw.pdf
Exactly what I needed. Thanks superjer2000 for the heads up! I don't know how I missed that before.