Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Red paint problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 08:11 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red paint problems?

Long story short, my 08 Black G37S is going to be swapped out by Infiniti for a new vehicle, due to the mountain of problems that i've had with it. (320+ days out of service since I bought it new in 08).

I'm planning on swapping it with a '12 G37XS coupe in black or red. I was thinking red, because my current G is black and a color change would be nice. HOWEVER, I know in the past that Nissan/Infiniti had a ton of problems with their red paint, where it chipped/peeled off of the car. Is this still a problem with the current G's that are out there? If so, I'm steering clear.

I have until tomorrow to let my rep at Infiniti Consumer Affairs know which car I want, and either the black or red will have to be dealer traded for me to get it, so I thought I'd check here first.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2012, 08:22 PM
egmmbah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YES the red has problems!!!! Fades easily and I take exceptional care of my care, also the OEM side skirts seem to turn to a flat red within about 2 years, I have had no issues with chipping and/or peeling but fading and color changing has been an issue and to get infiniti to step up has been an issue, they repainted and cleared my side skirts once and the painter told me it was going to happen again (it did) something about the way the red reacts to the plastic I dont understand it personally but I assure you it is true!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:11 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by egmmbah
YES the red has problems!!!! Fades easily and I take exceptional care of my care, also the OEM side skirts seem to turn to a flat red within about 2 years, I have had no issues with chipping and/or peeling but fading and color changing has been an issue and to get infiniti to step up has been an issue, they repainted and cleared my side skirts once and the painter told me it was going to happen again (it did) something about the way the red reacts to the plastic I dont understand it personally but I assure you it is true!

Thanks for the info! I guess i'll be looking for another black coupe.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:12 PM
NyLiGHTz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your saying like the black paint doesn't have it's own share of problems.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:14 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NyLiGHTz
Your saying like the black paint doesn't have it's own share of problems.
Most of my cars (all but 1) have been black, so I know how to take care of it to keep it swirl free and looking good. I've never had a red car, and I remember there being banter about the quality of Nissan's red paint- fading, chipping, peeling...
Old 08-29-2012, 10:33 PM
xorbitman
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You need to do a clay bar was when you get the car...black or red then after you do a proper wax and then you use a paint sealer...this guarantees the finish of the car for many years....and I emphasizde the word guarantee. If it fades during the warranty period ...they replace it!

Last edited by xorbitman; 09-04-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:49 AM
solarg37

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
my red skirts are faded
Old 08-30-2012, 11:50 AM
j23a45m

Originally Posted by solarg37
my red skirts are faded
same here
Old 08-30-2012, 12:57 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
I'm dealing with a boat load of paint issues on my Malbec Black as well
Old 08-30-2012, 05:44 PM
egmmbah

Originally Posted by xorbitman
You need to do a clay bar was when you get the car...black or red then after you do a proper wax and then you use a paint sealer...this guarantees the finish of the car for many years....and I emphazide the work guarantee. If it fades during the warranty period ...they replace it!
clay bared, waxed, and sealed here, it added time but not much. . . -_- for some reason I always look for other colors and usually end up with red on at least 7 or 8 cars and red always is bad in the heat of south florida but all of my nissan/infiniti red cars have been EXTREMELY worse then any honda/acura, bmw, etc I have ever had -_-
Old 08-30-2012, 10:00 PM
blackvr4tt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by egmmbah
clay bared, waxed, and sealed here, it added time but not much. . . -_- for some reason I always look for other colors and usually end up with red on at least 7 or 8 cars and red always is bad in the heat of south florida but all of my nissan/infiniti red cars have been EXTREMELY worse then any honda/acura, bmw, etc I have ever had -_-
I used to live in Tampa....the searing heat in FL is so bad that I don't think any paint protection will prevent sun damage.

I used a CAR COVER all the time, even in the work parking lot. The sun would eat through a quality cover in about a year, but my car's paint looked like new!
Old 08-30-2012, 11:52 PM
R3diK3r0u5

07 garnet ember sedan here with no problems
only your typical chips on the front end from highway miles

just a side note coming from a professional detailer, the order of detailing steps listed above are incorrect. you never wax before a sealant. you should have bare paint so that the durable sealant can adhere correctly and then you may wax on top of the sealant for added protection.

if your paints are fading and not matching, look into a professional paint correction and machine polish. this may fix some of the problems you are seeing in your finish.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:17 AM
DeamonG37s

side skirts r faded too but replaced em with some top secrets! jus another reason to mod the skirts!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 03:04 AM
LaurenceSext

I take exceptional care of my care, also the OEM side skirts seem to turn to a flat red within about 2 years
Old 09-04-2012, 08:41 PM
xorbitman
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by R3diK3r0u5
07 garnet ember sedan here with no problems
only your typical chips on the front end from highway miles

just a side note coming from a professional detailer, the order of detailing steps listed above are incorrect. you never wax before a sealant. you should have bare paint so that the durable sealant can adhere correctly and then you may wax on top of the sealant for added protection.

if your paints are fading and not matching, look into a professional paint correction and machine polish. this may fix some of the problems you are seeing in your finish.
So then how do you get rid of the swirl marks and crap on the car before you seal it? If you seal it without cleaning it you lock in the imperfections and crap too. BTW - Clay bar cleaning uses a detailer which is a very light wax. Some detailers prefer hand polishing to machine too.... Just a different school of technique.

Last edited by xorbitman; 09-04-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Adding a note