Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

DIY fixing bubble in seat, and pealing dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Spanky4888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY fixing bubble in seat, and pealing dash

My G37s has two of the common cosmetic issues I have seen on this site. The bubble in the leather seat where your wallet would set, and the corners lifting/ peeling on the edge of the gauge cluster.

I am thinking I can use a syringe and inject a small amount of apolstery glue into the seat bubble, then press it flat end even. Seems like the cause of this bubble is that the leather delaminates from the foam underneath. Using a syringe to inject some 3M apholstery adhesive under the bubble should help bind them back together and provide a flexible joint. Let my know if my idea is flawed or just plain stupid. Car is 2008 so out of warranty.

Next up is the peeling of the gauge cluster corners. It is very mild in my case, but couldn't I just use epoxy or super glue and using a syringe squirt a small amount of super glue gel back into the crevice then apply pressure until it cures. Again, feel free to let me know if the idea is good or sucks.

Thanks,
Randy

Last edited by Spanky4888; 06-27-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:40 PM
AceJack

The leather seat sounds like a good idea. But to be honest I don't know much about stuff like that so I'm not sure. Good luck though! I wish more of the experienced people on here had some input...
Old 06-27-2012, 11:55 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
I would say the gauge cluster idea is a good one.

As far as the seat bubble, hopefully the leather didn't stretch. I would imagine if it did, you'd see wrinkles after you got it glued down. And if you're gonna use a needle to "inject that glue...poking holes in the leather seems like it would be a bad thing.

Good luck.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:28 AM
AceJack

Also I just thought of something. If you have the heated seats then it could cause a problem with the glue...
Old 06-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Spanky4888

Originally Posted by Mattster

As far as the seat bubble, hopefully the leather didn't stretch. I would imagine if it did, you'd see wrinkles after you got it glued down. And if you're gonna use a needle to "inject that glue...poking holes in the leather seems like it would be a bad thing.

Good luck.
I would stick the needle through one of the little perforated holes in the seat so I would not be creating any new holes.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattster

Good luck.
Stretching is what causes the bubble in the leather.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:30 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
I see this working with the gauge cluster trim, but not so much with the seat unfortunately. You may want to bring it by an upholstery shop, just to see what they say about your idea on the seat or how they would go about fixing it.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:13 PM
sewlman2
Premier Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
seat bubble

I work for a seating company and do upholstery work on the side. The bubble is more than likely do to the leather stretching. Unless they do things different from what I have seen, the leather is not attached to the foam. There normally is a layer of foam sewn to the leather at the seam lines only. I will know in a week or so if that is the case as I have purchased a sport seat to tear apart. The process that you mentioned about gluing may cause more problems.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Legz
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sewlman2
I work for a seating company and do upholstery work on the side. The bubble is more than likely do to the leather stretching. Unless they do things different from what I have seen, the leather is not attached to the foam. There normally is a layer of foam sewn to the leather at the seam lines only. I will know in a week or so if that is the case as I have purchased a sport seat to tear apart. The process that you mentioned about gluing may cause more problems.
Nice that a professional can chime in, can't wait for your findings! The bubbling seat is really bothersome.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:14 PM
DeamonG37s

remove ur wallet b4 u sit for future
Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 PM
sewlman2
Premier Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
seat bubble

Remove your wallet? Well I don't have a "fat" wallet. Even without a wallet I still get the bubble. I have noticed that after shifting into 6th and I put my foot on the foot rest that my left leg rests more on the seat while my right leg is elevated which causes a greater pressure in a localized area on the seat. With the seats made the way they are something has to give and it is the leather (stretching).
I have a small bubble on the left and a larger bubble on the right. I have also notice that the bubbles reduce over time when the car sits. As the leather dries it shrinks.
I haven't had a chance to take the seat that I bought apart to check the construction. but will in the near future. I will report on my findings when I can.