Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Anyone else have this auto lights issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 02:01 PM
PR_G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else have this auto lights issue?

I always keep my headlights on auto. When I drive in tunnels, the backlights in my dash and navi turn off making it near impossible to really see any info on them. I believe the correct function is for the backlights to turn on (which is exactly what they did in my G37 loaner from the dealership yesterday - it was a brand new G37 sedan). Not only do the backlights in the dash and navi screen turn off in tunnels, but it actually takes a few seconds for it to happen after my car gets in the tunnel (meaning electronically my car seems a bit slow). Then when I'm back out of the tunnel, the backlights turn back on but of course with another delay. This is all during daytime driving.

Or sometimes it'll be a bright day and the backlights on my navi and dash will randomly stay off making it tough to see anything on them. Anyone else experience this? Can't remember when this started happening. Think it may have been this way from the start and I've always shrugged it off.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:30 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can adjust the sensitivity of the automatic light function. I have mine on the lowest setting so it takes several seconds for it to react.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:32 PM
wickedwyrm

The backlights shouldn't turn off, they should dim. They do this so that the dash and nav don't blind you at night. The nav has a day/night button that I push when my headlights are on during the day. I don't know of a solution to the dash lights.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:59 PM
superjer2000

Try turning on your headlights manually and then adjusting the instrument panel brightness using the controls on the left hand side of the instrument cluster. (Opposite to the controls on the instrument cluster for the multi-information display). Then return your headlights to auto.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:19 PM
PR_G37

Interestingly enough, whenever the backlight on my dash and navi are completely off during the day when they should be on so I can actually see them, I'll turn my auto lights off (meaning light switch is set on off) and everything will light up the way it should. Then I'll switch back to auto which sometimes will fix the issue and sometimes not. I have played around with the dimness of it all which doesn't do anything for this issue unfortunately...
Old 04-07-2011, 11:22 PM
superjer2000

Originally Posted by PR_G37
Interestingly enough, whenever the backlight on my dash and navi are completely off during the day when they should be on so I can actually see them, I'll turn my auto lights off (meaning light switch is set on off) and everything will light up the way it should. Then I'll switch back to auto which sometimes will fix the issue and sometimes not. I have played around with the dimness of it all which doesn't do anything for this issue unfortunately...
The system seems to store two brightness settings for the instrument cluster, one for when the lights are on and the other for when they are off. That is why it is important to make sure that you turn the lights on manually before you adjust the brightness setting.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:58 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I always keep my headlights on auto. When I drive in tunnels, the backlights in my dash and navi turn off making it near impossible to really see any info on them. I believe the correct function is for the backlights to turn on (which is exactly what they did in my G37 loaner from the dealership yesterday - it was a brand new G37 sedan).
I'm sure you realize why this is happening, right? The dash lights dim (they don't go completely out) because the headlights are going on. They go on because the car thinks it's dark outside. This is normal behavior, although I agree it is frustrating and the main reason I don't use the auto setting on the lights. Only time I leave mine in auto is when I am doing night driving with several stops.

As another poster said, you can adjust the level of dimming. I would just control the lights manually...

Also, you said the loaner car worked correctly and the dash lights were back-lit. Are you sure the loaner has dimming lights? The loaners I get from Sewell Dallas do not.... they are not dimming because they don't have the feature. I would not say it's not working correctly - it's not even applicable.

The delay you mention is intentional as well. The car needs to make sure it's really dark before turning the headlights on (and dimming the dash), and it also waits again to make sure it's really light outside before turning the headlights off (and the dash lights back up to brightness).

Last edited by TinsleyC; 04-08-2011 at 12:03 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-08-2011, 08:20 AM
zoner

that's why I don't use auto as well.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:26 PM
bitNine

There's a dim setting for each light mode. But I didn't think it was a different dim setting specific to auto. Try adjusting brightness when your lights turn on automatically
Old 04-08-2011, 01:47 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
yep i dont use auto either.. but then again i leave my lights on the dash as dim as possbile or turn them off at night
Old 04-10-2011, 12:29 AM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use every feature I paid extra for. I like the autolight system. One less thing to worry about. Hate to see idiots riding down the street with no headlights at 10 at night. Especially on cars that I know have auto lights.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:56 PM
PR_G37

My lights correctly dimmed this morning in a tunnel. But what I'm talking about is how they turn off completely sometimes. I understand the delay that occurs when the sensors are figuring out what's going on, but mine just seems longer than normal. I've driven auto lights in all my family car's (Lexus, BMW, Mercedes) and this delay doesn't occur in tunnels. The car figures its business out quickly. Neither did it occur in the brand new G37 sedan the dealership loaned me, as I mentioned. Anyways, not a big deal, just clarifying and seeing if anyone else experiences this. No need to beat a dead horse.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:11 PM
bitNine

Originally Posted by maxfinity
Hate to see idiots riding down the street with no headlights at 10 at night. Especially on cars that I know have auto lights.
Hey, stop trying to get drunk people out of their DUI's! lol

Blacked out lights are at the top for reasons for pulling over a driver that eventually gets a DUI.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:26 PM
roots4x

My lights correctly dimmed this morning in a tunnel. But what I'm talking about is how they turn off completely sometimes. I understand the delay that occurs when the sensors are figuring out what's going on, but mine just seems longer than normal. I've driven auto lights in all my family car's (Lexus, BMW, Mercedes) and this delay doesn't occur in tunnels. The car figures its business out quickly. Neither did it occur in the brand new G37 sedan the dealership loaned me, as I mentioned. Anyways, not a big deal, just clarifying and seeing if anyone else experiences this. No need to beat a dead horse.
They should never turn off. The only states I've noticed on my car are:

ON AUTO SETTING

MODE 1 - Daytime
-Headlights turn off.
-Gauge cluster lights go to max brightness
-Interior lights all turn OFF (ambient and instrument panel lights)

MODE 2 - Nighttime
-Headlights turn off
-Gauge cluster lights DIM (but never turn off in between MODE 1 and MODE 2)
-Interior lights turn ON (ambient and instrument panel lights)

While there can be a delay between MODE 1 > MODE 2 (like when you go into a tunnel), the interior lights will never turn off. They will go from MAX to the setting I've set for MODE 2 which is dimmer, but that's expected. The delay seems to depend on the sensitivity setting and a built-in delay. This is to prevent your headlights blinking when you go under an overpass or something.

When going from MODE 2 > MODE 1, the headlights turn off and everything goes back to normal.

Never do my interior lights ever turn off. If yours do, you need to get them checked out at the dealership. You can probably try manually blocking the light sensor to demonstrate.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:42 PM
PR_G37

Thank you roots4x