Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

eyelids for g37 tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 05:40 PM
like_a_g37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eyelids for g37 tail lights?

I'm looking for eyelids for g37 tail lights.

Eyelids can be applied to auto headlights to give different accent effects and change the overall visual of the headlight.

I'm looking for something similar for the taillights.

I don't like tinted or painted effects on headlights/tail lights. Just looks too ghetto imho - no offense to anyone who has modded out their tail lights this way.

I'd like to go for a subtle look - basically I want to crop out the top corners of the tail lights so the shape is more like the shape of the tail lights on the convertible.

I think that cropping out the corners of the tail lights on the coupe should give the tail lights a much more fluid look.

Has anyone else on this forum done this or can anyone post a pic if they have an example where this has been done? Thanks!
Old 03-05-2011, 05:41 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
no one has done that, I don't think "eyelids" for the tail lights even exist. but I can't imagine it would look very good, you would probably be better off just painting the part you want to be covered by the eyelid
Old 03-05-2011, 07:39 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
You can just paint the eyelids on the taillight to match your car color . Nobody's done that yet. Be the first and show us.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:52 PM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You could lay down different color tapes to set up a template and get a visual on how it would look.....
Old 03-05-2011, 10:51 PM
like_a_g37

My biggest complaint about the G37 coupe is the humongous tail lights.

If I can get some eyelids to black out the corners running up the backside of the car then I'll be good to go.

FYI - I don't currently have a G37 but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to buy one in July.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:05 PM
like_a_g37

Here is a pic of the G37 coupe with the tail light conversion. I just did this in MS Paint. I'm not a graphic artist so it's a bit crude but I think it gives a pretty good impression of the overall look of the mod.

I think this mod makes the car look more like a true performance-oriented sports coupe and less like an old school Nissan Altima.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9B...thkey=CMqlr4UH
Old 03-05-2011, 11:07 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by like_a_g37
Here is a pic of the G37 coupe with the tail light conversion. I just did this in MS Paint. I'm not a graphic artist so it's a bit crude but I think it gives a pretty good impression of the overall look of the mod.

I think this mod makes the car look more like a true performance-oriented sports coupe and less like an old school Nissan Altima.

[IMG]file:///C:/G37/tail%20light/after.JPG[/IMG]
picture fail lol

I love the tails on the G37, I think they flow so well with the lines of the car. To each their own though, always like seeing new unique stuff for the G.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:27 PM
like_a_g37

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
picture fail lol

I love the tails on the G37, I think they flow so well with the lines of the car. To each their own though, always like seeing new unique stuff for the G.
Sorry hispeed - I reposted and tested a new url.

Please try again.

Looks a bit like the tail lights on the C37 coupe don't you think?
Old 03-05-2011, 11:30 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Sorry hispeed - I reposted and tested a new url.

Please try again.

Looks a bit like the tail lights on the C37 coupe don't you think?
lol they look like the tail lights on a coupe b/c that is a coupe in the picture

I assume you meant the vert...and yeah, I can see that a little bit. If you're up for it do it and see how it looks! You'll be the first to try it
Old 03-05-2011, 11:42 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by myk1013
You can just paint the eyelids on the taillight to match your car color . Nobody's done that yet. Be the first and show us.
Exactly what i was gonna suggest. It's has yet to be done on the G37 but it has been done on G35 sedans and coupes. Came out really nice too.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:45 PM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a little help for you.
I can appreciate where you're coming from. The G35 had a tail light eyelid that looked half decent.
The paint picture is pretty damn funny though. Reminds me of the I am better than your kids stuff.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:11 AM
like_a_g37

Even if this approach blocks out the top part of the outside circle LED bulb I think this will look even better because the style will be consistent with the inner circle LED bulb whose top part is cropped within the tail light.

Last edited by like_a_g37; 03-06-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:13 AM
like_a_g37

Originally Posted by soolman32
Exactly what i was gonna suggest. It's has yet to be done on the G37 but it has been done on G35 sedans and coupes. Came out really nice too.
Can you point me to any urls that show the final result for this?

I'm just curious to see how it looks so I can get a better idea about how this might look on the G37.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:36 AM
like_a_g37

Originally Posted by myk1013
Can you point me to a thread that discusses some different techniques for this? I am new to modding. Do you just lay tape down around the area that you want to paint and then paint the area?

Is there a special type of paint that you should use, different steps, etc?

Whenever you paint a smooth surface it's best to sand the surface a bit so the paint sticks. I'm guessing you don't do that using this approach with tail lights.

Please educate me.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:04 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Can you point me to a thread that discusses some different techniques for this? I am new to modding. Do you just lay tape down around the area that you want to paint and then paint the area?

Is there a special type of paint that you should use, different steps, etc?

Whenever you paint a smooth surface it's best to sand the surface a bit so the paint sticks. I'm guessing you don't do that using this approach with tail lights.

Please educate me.
Actually you do sand the tail lights before painting. Use 800 grit then paint then use 1000 to wetsand then 2000 to finish it off after clear coating

Quick Reply: eyelids for g37 tail lights?