Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

My Gs' crappy paint has me considering a new Mustang GT.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:31 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Mustang guys complain about their paint too. It's actually a very common complaint across many different brands.

BTW, does anyone else find it strange that someone would think a 2-door pony car would be a good substitute for a 4-door sport/luxury car? As much as I love Mustangs, I'd feel kinda silly driving one at this point in my life. It's more of a kids car or a car for old farts trying to revisit their youth. It just doesn't fit me at this point in my life, so I'd have to look elsewhere if I wanted to ditch my G37.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:15 AM
PascalT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might get blasted for saying it but i'll be honest.. when i see someone driving a Mustang i automatically think "probably a douchebag" or "middle life crisis"
Old 09-18-2010, 11:31 AM
zoner

Fast but crude. The chassis will scare the sh,, out of you at high speed. Built pretty well built though and should be trouble free for a long time. Overpriced IMHO.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:15 PM
ijahman

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
The new 5.0 is a cool car I love the Ford Sync which is the best IMHO period,It should be very fast and reliable, but will need tuning to really make it stand out. But I would compare it to a G37...I wouldn't even think of going from my G to any Ford product...
Old 09-18-2010, 12:42 PM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by zoner
Fast but crude. The chassis will scare the sh,, out of you at high speed. Built pretty well built though and should be trouble free for a long time. Overpriced IMHO.
Crude? Bad chassis at high speed? You do realize that it ties/bests an E92 M3 in road tests, don't you?
Old 09-18-2010, 03:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by san~man
Crude? Bad chassis at high speed? You do realize that it ties/bests an E92 M3 in road tests, don't you?
+1, unless the OP is considering a 1989 Mustang.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:04 PM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ijahman
The new 5.0 is a cool car I love the Ford Sync which is the best IMHO period,It should be very fast and reliable, but will need tuning to really make it stand out. But I would compare it to a G37...I wouldn't even think of going from my G to any Ford product...
don't say "any" I'm almost positive you'd take a FORD GT supercar over your G, and if not, wow, wow wow lol......
Old 09-18-2010, 05:05 PM
RYs06MT

man, I agree 100%, I used to drive stangs and Import guys would always bash us, and they have a point, but now I just don't think masses of people are educated on what the new stang does, and IRS?? come on .... Honestly I would "not" trade my G for it because I'm still in a loan, and selling/trading the car I'd probably be upside down, just the truth. BUT if I didn't have the G already, and was searching for a cars, and compared the two, I'd take the stang!
Old 09-18-2010, 05:06 PM
RYs06MT

Originally Posted by ijahman
Aston Martin is a Ford product too, so you wouldn't want a DB9S either?
Old 09-18-2010, 07:17 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
The Mustang guys complain about their paint too. It's actually a very common complaint across many different brands.

BTW, does anyone else find it strange that someone would think a 2-door pony car would be a good substitute for a 4-door sport/luxury car? As much as I love Mustangs, I'd feel kinda silly driving one at this point in my life. It's more of a kids car or a car for old farts trying to revisit their youth. It just doesn't fit me at this point in my life, so I'd have to look elsewhere if I wanted to ditch my G37.
The reason we currently own the G sedan is because my wife runs a day care and has to shuttle a couple kids here & there and it's much easier w/ the 4 doors. That's slowing down and the need for 4 doors isn't as important (or won't be when we're ready to get a new car).

Maybe it's just me but I don't give a $hit what other people think about what I'm driving, if I like it and it's a blast to drive that's what I'm after.
And the GT I test drove was a real kick in the pants. Our G37 is also a blast to drive but this is our second G and the paint is the worst of any car we've ever owned. I've owned several cars w/ the low VCS paint and all have held up much better than my Infiniti including a 2009 Ford Escape.

Of the cars on my original list the Mustang gives the most bang for the buck IMO, although resale will take a big hit I'm fairly certain. Someone mentioned the Genesis Coupe, this wasn't a consideration after giving it a run and I don't like the ricey look of it, the Genesis sedan was what I was inferring, the 2012s are supposed to have a new suspension which is really the only big knock on the car. Not really needing the 4 doors though may take it off the list. BTW Hyundai paint is far superior to Infiniti, and for those that say all new cars have crap paint, not true, Two friends of mine have 09 Genesis Sedans both with over 20k miles and the paint looks as new and both have no clear bras.

At any rate, I'm keeping a more open mind w/ my next car and would love to continue getting Infinitis, but before you knock the new Mustang GT go our and take it for a spirited drive, I think it'll put a smile on your face.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:31 PM
zoner

Haven't seen that test. But will take your word. Just consider the type of track and I am just stating what I saw from taking a drive. In the hands of an ordinary driver it can be very scary. I have ridden in Stangs driven by professional drivers and they can make them do amazing things but I think it will be different for the everyday driver. In the end, the interior is still low rent. But I will say much better than the Camaro.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:36 PM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Fair enough

However, in all the real world and track tests it is very competent. Hell, my old 01' with full MM suspension handled as good or better in some cases than my 08 sedan does

The interior is still "American," but it is getting better as far as quality of materials. Design wise, they're still behind their Japanese and European competitors, but for 33k and that superb 5.0 motor, it's hard to beat
Old 09-18-2010, 11:40 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
To the op, go for the GT if that is what you want. But buying a Ford for paint quality is like eating Chinese fried egg rolls instead of burger for heath reason.
For those that think the GT matched the M3 chassis, think again. The GT performance is close to the M3, but the dynamic quality is not the same. How do you explain a car with a bigger engine, more torque, tuned to over-steer more easily is slower than a soft suspension and prone to under-steer M3.
On the other hand if the GT is very successful, other makes like Infinity would be more inclined to offer big inch motor in their line up.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:32 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
I can see changing cars if you are unhappy.
since the new 5.0 is right there with an m3 for handling/1/4 mile.
almost all new cars have what I call delicate paint.
I think it has to do with the $$ factor.
ferrari 559 uses 3 coats of paint, I'm sure it gets chipped quite easily.
so people are aware the new 5.0 puts down 396whp. That is way above the "advertised hp"
with some nice suspension mods & some bolt ons with a tune. That 5.0 will eat the m3 with $$ to spare.
yes the m3 is nicer on the interior part,but the mustang has taken huge leaps in fit/finish.
I had a 90gt, that car rattled from day 1 and the leather was like sitting on plastic.

g is more refined, sometimes I just love raw power. There is something very appealing to me about a car that is all muscle.

it's the same argument about the zr1 vette & ferrari.
a ferrari is amazing, just the upkeep on it is obscene & just a waste.
you could buy 3 zr1s & switch off every other day.
consindering the zr1 can hang with a car costing 3x more. Domestics are back on track to making some of the best performers in the world.

Last edited by RISKY GUY; 09-20-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:25 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CodeG
For those that think the GT matched the M3 chassis, think again. The GT performance is close to the M3, but the dynamic quality is not the same. How do you explain a car with a bigger engine, more torque, tuned to over-steer more easily is slower than a soft suspension and prone to under-steer M3.
On the other hand if the GT is very successful, other makes like Infinity would be more inclined to offer big inch motor in their line up.
Dynamic quality? LOL, you're kidding, right? I'm sure an M3 driver doesn't give a crap about his car's perceived "dynamic quality" when he can't shake a Mustang off his tail around a track.

BTW, the "bigger" engine in the Mustang is a liability when it comes to handling. It's heavier and it upsets the balance of the car. And you mention torque, yet you fail to mention that the M3 actually has a bit higher rated HP with it's smaller V8. And from Motor Trend's test, these two cars are virtually equals on a road course or a drag strip.

What's really surprising to me is that the Mustang has the ride height of a 4x4 (look at that crazy wheel gap!) and the M3 appears to have a much lower ride height, yet the Mustang handles just as well or even a bit better.

Quick Reply: My Gs' crappy paint has me considering a new Mustang GT.