Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Installed: OEM LED DRL for 2010 G37 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 10:31 PM
anamiti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Installed: OEM LED DRL for 2010 G37 Sedan

First post here (long-time lurker). After peschs3's thread on OEM Nissan "Hyper" Daytime Running Lights (DRL) for his G37xS, I couldn't resist taking it on as a project...

These are Nissan/Infiniti Genuine Parts that I ordered through my local Infiniti dealer. The part number for my car, a 2010 G37x sedan automatic transmission (non-sport), was B66M0-1NF01. List price was $724.90, but I paid $540. Note that there are two light module designs, Standard and Sport. For other part numbers and further information, please refer to peschs3's thread. He opted for dealer installation.

The package comes complete with everything that is needed, except some common tools and supplies. All wiring for the kit is accomplished through harnesses, so there is no splicing. There is a 19-page installation booklet (in English), which is quite good. It states that dealer installation is recommended. My dealership estimated a minimum of $500+ in labor, so I opted to do it myself.

The installation took me about eight hours. It certainly could be done in less time, but I was very careful to do everything exactly right. As a comparison, I have previously done the DIY paddle shifter mod, which took me an hour or two. Obviously, the DRL install was much more involved. The most time-consuming step is removing the front bumper and wheel fenders, especially if you haven't done it before. The installation instructions called for removal of the left front wheel, but this wasn't necessary for me. As you can see, it also requires drilling into the front bumper faux-vents. Overall, I would say installation was difficult but well within the capability of a competent enthusiast.

I am very satisfied with the results. The lights shine brightly during daylight, and integration with the car's electronics is seamless. I only hope that the LEDs last for several years. I did this install a month ago and there have been no problems.

I've got a weakness for sleek LED DRLs (particularly Audi's stunning designs), and this mod has rounded-out my G37 in that regard.

Now, I would love some LED turn signals (especially rear). Possible?
Attached Thumbnails Installed: OEM LED DRL for 2010 G37 Sedan-1.jpg   Installed: OEM LED DRL for 2010 G37 Sedan-2.jpg   Installed: OEM LED DRL for 2010 G37 Sedan-3.jpg   Installed: OEM LED DRL for 2010 G37 Sedan-4.jpg   Installed: OEM LED DRL for 2010 G37 Sedan-5.jpg  

Old 08-21-2010, 10:42 PM
anamiti

This image is more representative of what the LEDs actually look like in person (video frame).

The LED's are bright white at most distances. Up close, from the side, they appear slightly magenta or purple. It's a cool effect.

For the record, my car is Graphite Shadow (despite looking blue in some shots), with premium/nav/wood and illuminated kick plates, tinted to 30%.
Attached Thumbnails Installed: OEM LED DRL for 2010 G37 Sedan-6.jpg  
Old 08-22-2010, 12:15 AM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just curious, so.... your car had the factory fogs and you paid 540.00 for the tri-led parts?? Looks good, they are bright, not sure I'd spend that much though....
Old 08-22-2010, 02:03 AM
tbear

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Would you mind sharing what dealer sold you the kit at $540? I'm interested in getting one, I need DRLs since I need my lights on every time I use the wipers in NY. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:40 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tbear
Would you mind sharing what dealer sold you the kit at $540? I'm interested in getting one, I need DRLs since I need my lights on every time I use the wipers in NY. Thanks.
I'm in NY also. I just turn on my lights whenever it is raining hard enough that I need to use my wipers. BTW, the law states that your headlights must be on when your wipers are on....DRLs do not qualify as headlights.

Here's a cut-and-paste from the NYS DMV website:

New York State law requires you to turn on your vehicle's headlights whenever the weather conditions would ordinarily require the use of windshield wipers to clear rain, snow, sleet, and other precipitation. "Daytime running lights" do not qualify as headlights.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I really like them too. great job, but i don't think I would spend that kind of $$$ for 'em. The Graphite Shadow is a nice color....what color interior? Black I'm guessing?

I mean these are LEDS made in Chine (probably), $540 lot of money Plus your of 8 hours installation. I would have dealer do it, so that adds another $500. These should've been standard anyway - they are in Canada!!
Old 08-22-2010, 10:54 AM
tbear

I never thought about the DRL's having to be headlights. All my cars that have had DRLs have used the headlights so I never thought about the "letter of the law". I assumed Canada had the same requirement for their DRL's, but must not. I wonder if I would be pulled over in the rain for having the LEDs on? In the Rochester area most of the many newer Audis run with just their LEDs on in the rain.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:02 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by tbear
I never thought about the DRL's having to be headlights. All my cars that have had DRLs have used the headlights so I never thought about the "letter of the law". I assumed Canada had the same requirement for their DRL's, but must not. I wonder if I would be pulled over in the rain for having the LEDs on? In the Rochester area most of the many newer Audis run with just their LEDs on in the rain.
It's not that DRLs have to be headlights....obviously DRLs are the headlights (under lower power) on some vehicles. But even if you're driving a car that uses its headlights as DRLs, the light output is much lower than when the headlights are switched on. I think that's the reason that NYS law doesn't consider DRLs as an acceptable substitute for headlights when driving in the rain.

If you think about it, the Audi's you're talking about are running around without their headlights on in the rain....chances are the drivers of those vehicles wouldn't have their headlights on if they were driving a car without DRLs. A lot of people simply don't even think to turn on their headlights during the daytime when it is raining. So if they happen to have DRLs on their cars, you might think that they are intentionally leaving their headlights off in the rain, when in reality they might not even have thought about it at all.

Either way, maybe you can get away with DRLs in rain, but there's no doubt that you could get a ticket for it. I'd rather just turn on my headlights, but not for fear of a ticket, but because I think full power headlights are a good idea to help other drivers see me in bad weather.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:21 PM
tbear

MSCA, I agree, but when there is drizzle or very light rain I've been depending on my DRLs with HID low beams in my Lexus RX350 for example because when I see other RX350's coming at me, their lights are plenty bright. It's those intermittent raining times when I like the DRLs, especially if I forget to put my lights on. I'll get used to the G, it's the same as when I had an A6 2.7T... I just put the lights on. On another note, I thought that DRLs reduce the chance of accidents in good weather.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:18 PM
anamiti

Originally Posted by yogregb
Just curious, so.... your car had the factory fogs and you paid 540.00 for the tri-led parts?? Looks good, they are bright, not sure I'd spend that much though....
Unfortunately, as you must certainly are aware, the fog lights cannot be turned on without the headlights (nor are they automatic). I hate it when car manufacturers do that.

Yes, $540 is a lot of money for lights, but everyone's got their preferences. (I wouldn't spend that much for a performance upgrade, since I regard my car as plenty fast already). At first, I balked at the price as well. But I found the parts to be of high quality.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:25 PM
anamiti

Originally Posted by Almatti
I really like them too. great job, but i don't think I would spend that kind of $$$ for 'em. The Graphite Shadow is a nice color....what color interior? Black I'm guessing?

I mean these are LEDS made in Chine (probably), $540 lot of money Plus your of 8 hours installation. I would have dealer do it, so that adds another $500. These should've been standard anyway - they are in Canada!!
Yup, graphite interior. It's a great combination.

Do you know if the Canadian DRL implementation is LED? I doubt it. As far as I know, the 2010 Canadian G37 DRL uses dimmed headlights or maybe the fog lights. Would love to know.

These "hyper LED" parts originated as optional equipment for the Skyline (Japanese model).
Old 08-22-2010, 03:06 PM
vaio23
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Is there any way you can scan the installation manual and upload to see what is required to install. Thanks
Old 08-22-2010, 03:56 PM
hufington

Nice DRLs but way too expensive.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:06 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
+1 on scanning the installation instructions.

I wish they had thes available for the coupes.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:33 PM
ahmsg420
Registered Member

that's a crazy amount of money for a set of lights...

Quick Reply: Installed: OEM LED DRL for 2010 G37 Sedan