Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

DAMN my first door ding. When did it happen to you, how did you feel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:25 PM
marcelo19lp
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DAMN my first door ding. When did it happen to you, how did you feel?

So its been 16 months, and today I got my first door ding on the drivers side. I have been parking in the same spots in my employer. So I come out of work today and boom I see this old *** beat up toyota landcruiser from like 1982 backed backwards, and all crooked, and with my luck today, boom a dime diameter dent. In the picture is kinda hard to see, but the car lines are so perfect and with and without the sun, you can see it. Is like 3 inches below the side mirror. So I searched and looked at PDR around here. What's the average price. Where do I go, Im in Northeast Jersey. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails DAMN my first door ding.  When did it happen to you, how did you feel?-img_3996.jpg  
Old 08-04-2010, 09:32 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
the first one I ever got was completely my fault, and I was by myself

but I think it was better than if someone else had done it b/c since it was my fault I could only get mad at myself but if someone else had done it I would have absolutely lost it haha
Old 08-04-2010, 09:37 PM
MSCA
Banned

Dent Doctor (or similar) paintless dent removal. They'll knock it right out in just a few minutes. You won't even be able to tell where it was...
Old 08-04-2010, 09:48 PM
G-zuss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dent Wizard charged me $90 on my last car. That was about two years ago.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:01 PM
marcelo19lp
Registered Member

Was it as bad as mine or worse?

Was it as bad as mine or worse? How long did they take? Do they have to removed the entire door panel? Or they just pop it out like ive seen on you tube videos?

Originally Posted by G-zuss
Dent Wizard charged me $90 on my last car. That was about two years ago.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:02 PM
671slandBlue

Daim that sux bro, sorry to see that ish ya! Im not sure how I'm gonna react when I get my first one! I hate rude inconsiderate peeps that mess up the things you do your best to take care of!!
Old 08-04-2010, 10:34 PM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
As long as you find the best PDR guy/gal in your area, you'll never know it was there.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:31 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How does PDR work anyway? I've heard something about drilling holes, which sends chills down my spine.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:23 AM
marcelo19lp
Registered Member

I called around, they dont drill holes. They use their special instruments to fix the issue. I called around here in Jersey, and I'm getting these quotes from $120-150. Anybody know a company or spot in the Northern Area of Jersey?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:47 PM
G-zuss

It's kinda hard to get a good look at yours, but it was pretty similar. It was actually kinda cool how they did it. They used a suction cup with weights on it. For my car the suction was on a different part of the door than the actual dent. and the dent just pops out. In all it took about 20 minutes, but that was with the guy taking his time. No panels removed or anything. He said it usually costs more, but they gave a discount if I met them at the dealership rather than come to my house. Also, They charge $90 for the panel, so if you have more than one ding they will fix them all as long as they're on the same panel.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Frankyg37s

heres mine buddy25

good luck it will still be very slightly notticeable
Old 08-06-2010, 09:47 AM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
10 years ago when i had my accord new i had 2 dings and one big crease on the rear fender after 3 months of owning the new car. made me sick but brought it to dent busters and they fixed it like new. i think it cost 200-300 bucks and it was so worth it. i couldnt believe me eyes. luckily no dings on the G yet but i guess i should not even speak of it!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:18 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
They don't use a suction cup with weights. They suction cup a reflection board onto the car so they can see how they are manipulating the panel. Depending on where the ding is, they may have to drill a hole to get access...commonly done to get access to dings in quarter panels. The hole is only about a quarter inch and the tech should seal it with silicone and a grommet plug. They use rods with a spooned or rounded end to massage the ding out slowly from behind the panel. Some are better than others so you should be looking for a master tech. The best way to find a master tech is to call up your local mecedes/bmw or even Infiniti dealer and ask who they use. The right tech will make it so that you will never know the ding was there and the price depends on the damage. One ding is usually around $100-$125.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:52 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
How does PDR work anyway? I've heard something about drilling holes, which sends chills down my spine.
I had a long elbow/forearm ding on the quarter panel of my g35 a few years ago. I met with the tech and pulled the tail light , but he still had to drill a hole to get the right angle to the ding. They usually do it in an inconspicuous place, like behind my tail light or in a door sill. Most other panels don't require any drilling
Old 08-06-2010, 12:16 PM
marcelo19lp
Registered Member

Thanks a lot for the info! So for the ding in the door right below the sidemirror like 4 inches below, somebody else told me its very hard to take the ding out because its in the re-inforced door metal etc. Then another guy said no problem piece of cake, they just use this tool that goes inside where the door glass is, its cover with plastic, and even at that angle, location, they can use their devices. My question is, is any there any damage to wiring, glass, speakers, or anything since they are sticking this metal shape tool behind the glass door? Thanks for all your help info. I called infiniti, they used dent wizard, and garden state dent.

Marcel'o

Quick Reply: DAMN my first door ding. When did it happen to you, how did you feel?