Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

2010 DRL "switch"?

Old 04-13-2010, 12:25 PM
tbear

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 DRL "switch"?

Just called Infiniti customer relations to find out if there is a factory kit for daylight running lights for the 2010 sedan. (I have not found any kit from Infiniti using search.) The Infiniti CS rep said there is a "switch" the dealer can access (don't know if she meant software or hardware) to enable daylight running lights. She didn't have any details. Based on the service manual it looks like a relay needs to be plugged into an existing socket and that the DRL logic is built into the onboard computers. Anyone know for sure? My understanding is that in Canada the DRLs used the fogs, but I thought I saw a comment that in 2010 they are now using the lowbeams.

Last edited by tbear; 04-13-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:13 PM
EKinNYC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the G has bi-xenon lights, so low-beam DRLs is basically the same as having ur lights on all the time
Old 04-13-2010, 03:01 PM
tbear

I hope I am wrong about the 2010 change, the xenon lights must be much more expensive to replace than the fog bulbs. In any case unless Infiniti has a way for the dealer or user to switch to DRL, I will have to find another solution.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:38 PM
EKinNYC

i think you can keep just the fogs on - i think its the last setting on the light switch. it turns on the side bulbs and the fogs, but keeps the headlamps off. or just keep your lights on. keeping them on is much less detrimental than turning them on and off frequently
Old 04-13-2010, 03:45 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
not sure about the 2010s, but previous years wouldnt let you turn the fogs on without the headlights.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:52 PM
EKinNYC

im probably wrong anyway, but ill check it out on my 10 when i get a chance
Old 04-13-2010, 05:18 PM
allagaroo

Originally Posted by Stoof@180Custom
not sure about the 2010s, but previous years wouldnt let you turn the fogs on without the headlights.
You can't turn on the fogs without the headlights in the 2010's either.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:20 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tbear
My understanding is that in Canada the DRLs used the fogs, but I thought I saw a comment that in 2010 they are now using the lowbeams.
The still use the fogs for DRLs. Any car with bi-xenons uses the fogs for DRLs.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by EKinNYC
i think you can keep just the fogs on - i think its the last setting on the light switch. it turns on the side bulbs and the fogs, but keeps the headlamps off. or just keep your lights on. keeping them on is much less detrimental than turning them on and off frequently
I’m not too sure this is a good idea. Leaving lights on during the day means the taillights are also on, and somebody behind you may not notice when your brake lights go on. Perhaps it’s remote possibility, but a rear end accident could result.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:55 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I was surprised that the G37 didn't come with DRL's, in this country. When I head to the Midwest I do a lot of 2 lane blacktop driving and consider DRL's to be a good safety factor. If I knew of a way to have at least the fog lights stay on during the day time, I would have it done.

As far as leaving your regular lights on during day light hours, it shouldn't impact the visibility when your brake lights engage. Motorcycles are set up that way and it is very easy to tell when their brake lights come on.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by movinon
As far as leaving your regular lights on during day light hours, it shouldn't impact the visibility when your brake lights engage. Motorcycles are set up that way and it is very easy to tell when their brake lights come on.
I didn’t know motorcycles were set up that way. According to some of the State laws I looked up below, they seem to require headlights on, but taillights being on is not mentioned.

State Motorcycle Laws

At any rate, I’m still concerned about the taillight issue for automobiles. After all, it’s the main reason the feds now require a third brake light, i.e., to enhance your not getting rear-ended because of someone behind you not seeing or not reading your brake lights accurately.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:52 PM
majin ssj eric

I hate DRLs with a passion. I'm so glad the G doesn't have this idiotic feature....
Old 04-13-2010, 11:42 PM
tbear

Well, by law up here I need to have front lights on whenever the wipers are going... and that's often. Also every trip to Canada requires them full time. Usually cars that have DRLs are easy to disable, but it's not clear if it's easy to enable the G37.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:53 AM
majin ssj eric

Yeah, I had an 06 Civic Si with DRL that were disabled with a simple fuse removal....
Old 04-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chekov
I’m not too sure this is a good idea. Leaving lights on during the day means the taillights are also on, and somebody behind you may not notice when your brake lights go on. Perhaps it’s remote possibility, but a rear end accident could result.
All sensible cars have the rear lights on with DRL's already. If you are from outside of the US, this has been common practice for years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 DRL "switch"?