F-Completely unacceptable for a car at this price point
29.38%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

How do you rate your Gs paint durabilty

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:31 AM
lokitiw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day one, pick up the car at dealer,and drive home, two stone chips in engine hood. Day two, have bra installed and no chips since. I get a new car every three years and have never waxed a car. A clear polymer on a clear coat I have found works best with no swirls from a wax. A leaf blower to dry after washing, no swirls and no water marks. Will not rust, bust or collect dust.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:07 PM
MyG37xS 10

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good question and I answered before looking at other results. Coming from a 2000 I30, 2006 G35coupe and a 2008 G35x, ( BLK,BLK,WTE) I'm not at all happy with how the paint turn outs. The swirl marks on black looks horrible. I wash the car myself from april till sept when its warm. My 2010 G looks amazing and Im gonna try best to keep it that way. Im bringing my OWN micro fiber rags to car washs so that they dont use the horrible towels most use.

Just for comparison my 2004 E55 AMG looks MINT. People ask me if its a 2009 cauz the car is SHINY and NEARLY swirl mark free.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:09 PM
MyG37xS 10

Originally Posted by lokitiw
Day one, pick up the car at dealer,and drive home, two stone chips in engine hood. Day two, have bra installed and no chips since. I get a new car every three years and have never waxed a car. A clear polymer on a clear coat I have found works best with no swirls from a wax. A leaf blower to dry after washing, no swirls and no water marks. Will not rust, bust or collect dust.
I work in manhatten and have no choice but to take the car. I already within a week got my 1st scratch on my bumper. I ordered a bumper bully so hopefully that will help
Old 05-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Legz
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Had 09 for almost 1 year now, 11000km, I'm in Canada with all the salt/ gravel etc they spray on the road. Paint's in perfect perfect shape, except for a ding from a door banger... The car's treated like a lil princess. It's all good.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Sal123

Less than 2 months old and I have swirls, spots from bird droppings (that were washed off within 2 hours of dropping) and now, believe it or not, spots from where pollen got lightly wet from a light rain. My BMW had a layer of pollen on it for months and washed like new, no problem. Forget how much bird droppings sat on it in the winter. I'm afraid of what my Black G is gonna look like after it's first NY winter.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:22 AM
Markovt1

its terrible. i bought the car new and that same day got the finishing touch done for the interior and exterior to protect it and now somebody decided to key my car and the paint comes right off.

fml
Old 05-12-2010, 07:49 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Markovt1
its terrible. i bought the car new and that same day got the finishing touch done for the interior and exterior to protect it and now somebody decided to key my car and the paint comes right off.

fml
Sorry to hear about that, we've had a couple cars keyed over the years and it sucks. Damn punks don't have any respect for things they'll never work hard enough to own

It's bad enough that Infiniti paint pretty much just chips off on its' own without any help from vandals. Good luck getting it fixed and hopefully you'll have better luck down the road.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:17 AM
MSCA
Banned

Swirl marks/spider web scratches are 99% caused by poor washing/drying techniques. Sure, a soft clear coat makes it easier to create those light scratches, but it is important to use the proper materials and techniques when cleaning your car. Think about it---scratches don't happen on their own, so there must be some sort of contact/friction causing them. And for the guy who said circular motions cause swirl marks, yes that's true, but a back-and-forth motion will also cause directional scratches, all else equal.

Even the wrong type of towel used to dry your car can cause light scratches, so if you really want to avoid swirls/spiderweb scratches, get yourself a few really good microfiber towels. You should also use the two-bucket wash method and get grit guards for both buckets. And wash from the top down, with the horizontal surfaces done first!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:36 AM
BillPaul

Originally Posted by MSCA
Swirl marks/spider web scratches are 99% caused by poor washing/drying techniques. ...
Great advice, but self washing, etc., requires a lot of work. Alternatively, get a light colored metallic paint and the swirls won't show, and commercial or dealer washes will yield perfectly acceptable results. Also, light colored paints help keep the car cooler in very hot climates.

I would agree, however, that when optimally maintained without scratches, swirls, dirt, dings, etc., the dark paints look best.

Last edited by BillPaul; 05-29-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
Swirl marks/spider web scratches are 99% caused by poor washing/drying techniques. Sure, a soft clear coat makes it easier to create those light scratches, but it is important to use the proper materials and techniques when cleaning your car. Think about it---scratches don't happen on their own, so there must be some sort of contact/friction causing them. And for the guy who said circular motions cause swirl marks, yes that's true, but a back-and-forth motion will also cause directional scratches, all else equal.

Even the wrong type of towel used to dry your car can cause light scratches, so if you really want to avoid swirls/spiderweb scratches, get yourself a few really good microfiber towels. You should also use the two-bucket wash method and get grit guards for both buckets. And wash from the top down, with the horizontal surfaces done first!
Trust those of us that actually have the car and have cared for it for a couple of years. The clear coat is soft. I detail. I know what I'm doing and I have the right materials. It's just too soft. I do live in a hot climate where it is more susceptible to being softened from the heat, but I have induced visible scratches on my black finish simply by rubbing a clean high quality plush MF towel over the surface. Without excessive pressure. I've done far worse to other cars (mostly my wife's GM company cars) and they don't scratch, swirl, or mar as easily. On my older Nissans (from the 90's) the paint is more durable.

The clear is soft.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:54 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
My wifes 05 Pathfinder looks great at over 5 years old compared to my G which requires tons more maintenance to keep looking relatively decent. the pathfinder is built on US soil. I think that american car factories use harder paint. My brothers Ford F150 Harley Davidson edition is black and 6 years old. Its paint looks so much better than my G. the paint on our cars is frustrating and sometimes embarrasing if I have gone more than a couple months without polishing or buffing.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:52 PM
328HP

I think anyone who is in denial that the paint on the G37 is bad should park it next to a MY 2009+ CTS or 3 series with the premium paint.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:24 PM
MOB

I've had my G for 5 months and just noticed several small round chips on the hood this weekend. Full blown chips, not scuffs or scratches....and underneath is a white-ish/light gray primer. On a dark blue car, why wouldn't the primer base be darker so these won't show? Gaud dammmit! So miffed! I had hoped that my premium dollars would've bought a premium paint job. C'mon C'mon Infiniti....this is BS.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:54 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2 weeks in and already a chip on the hood, I really do hate Infiniti paint.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:30 AM
PascalT

how much does it cost to get the car re-painted? would it look as good and be more durable?

Quick Reply: How do you rate your Gs paint durabilty