Body Interior Exterior Lighting

G37 Sedan and child seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:54 AM
dvader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 Sedan and child seats

Hey everyone

I am looking at a G37 sedan to replace my Prelude due to my ever growing family.

Just wondering if any of you with a G37 sedan has more than 2 child seats in the back? I have a two year old in a child seat, a 6 year old in a booster, and come September, will have a newborn in a rear facing child seat.

My wife drives a 09 MDX which will cart around the kids no problem, but I need to know if, in a pinch, I can squeeze the entire family in the G37.

Any help or info would be great. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2010, 01:30 AM
urirx98

I dont think there is any way of gettin 3 seats in the back seat, but who knows. I have a 3 month old, and i havent even put the car seat in my car, well neither my former G35 or my new G37, just been using the VOlvo i got for her last year.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:04 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My boss recently managed to fit 2 toddler car seats and 1 rear facing infant seat (the base + seat combo type) in the back of a '96 Accord. The G37 Sedan is certainly wider than that. One minor issue you might have is the middle seat is raised slightly and there's only an anchor latch for the two outer seats -- you'd have to use the seat belt to install the middle seat.

There are some narrow carseats available -- Radian is one brand, but they're kind of expensive if you buy it new. I'm sure there are others.

Found a pic online of the backseat to get an idea:
http://images.newcars.com/images/car...Back-Seats.png

I just have a single 2-year old with a toddler car-seat. One thing I don't like is the back headrest is fixed in place so you have to put the back anchor strap over the top of it. The headrest is soft and when it's tightened as much as it needs to be, the belt is making an indentation. If you're smarter than me you'll want to put a blanket, small towel, or something over the headrest to mitigate that.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
I just have a single 2-year old with a toddler car-seat. One thing I don't like is the back headrest is fixed in place so you have to put the back anchor strap over the top of it. The headrest is soft and when it's tightened as much as it needs to be, the belt is making an indentation. If you're smarter than me you'll want to put a blanket, small towel, or something over the headrest to mitigate that.
My thoughts exactly. It bothers me that Infiniti couldn't spring for an adjustable headrest so it could be moved up and out of the way of booster seats. I do the same thing you do - put a microfiber cloth between the headrest and the plastic of the booster to keep damage from happening.

I looked around for a booster that is tall enough to have a guide for the seat belt, but low enough so that it truly sits back into the seat without the headrest impeding it. So far no luck...
Old 03-20-2010, 03:18 PM
HKSG37s

I think that it will be very tight to fit a booster, child and rear facing seat in the back seat. I have my 4 year old in a Britax Marathon child seat and do not think I can fit anything but another booster or rear ward facing seat back there. Good Luck.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:39 PM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
A center rear child seat is not recommended per the infinit owners manual
Old 03-21-2010, 10:58 PM
dvader

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I'm just going to have to try out the car with all the seats in.

As for Infiniti not recommending a child seat in the center position, I'll have to look into that. Thanks for letting me know about it.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:26 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
There's almost no way - I do not think it would be safe for the kids - my 2 car seats make it almost cramped back there. You need a G8 GT! Or a V8 Genesis.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:49 PM
dvader

I wanted a G8 GXP! But unfortunately, GM killed Pontiac. I may look into a Genesis... but I like the G37 too much.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:56 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Those GXPs totally rock! 415 HP, 420+ TQ and a stick in family-sized sedan. I had a G8 GT with a tune, and I still can't get used to the lack of torque in the G37 - thought I could shrug it off, but it haunts me to this day....overall, it was a really, really great car (but had some irrevocable issues that led me to the G37). If I hadn't had those issues, I'd still be tooling around in G8. But don't get me wrong - I am really enjoying the g37 as well. Just want more torque!
Old 03-22-2010, 09:29 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by dvader
I wanted a G8 GXP! But unfortunately, GM killed Pontiac. I may look into a Genesis... but I like the G37 too much.
I looked at the Genesis when I got my G last year. It was a nice car. It is bigger than the G, more of a competitor of the M. The V8 definitely would go though.

My take was that the G was a Sport Sedan that was nice, while the Genesis was a Luxory sedan that was fast.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:39 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KLB
I looked at the Genesis when I got my G last year. It was a nice car. It is bigger than the G, more of a competitor of the M. The V8 definitely would go though.

My take was that the G was a Sport Sedan that was nice, while the Genesis was a Luxory sedan that was fast.
Very true, but the OP needs a bigger car - the only american option is a used g8 gt or gxp (true sports sedan) or challenger or 300c, and you'd need to get the SRT-8 version to truly have fun, and they are not sports sedans. There's also always the CTS-V, which make me sweaty whenever I think about them, then you get into the BMW 5's and E550's and so on. The Genesis is marketed as a sports sedan, and it's not, but it is still much larger than the G37. And can go.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:33 PM
SM_Shadowman

The R/T Charger can be a lot of fun too. But it's all about straight line acceleration with the Hemi Chargers.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by ozzypriest
Very true, but the OP needs a bigger car - the only american option is a used g8 gt or gxp (true sports sedan) or challenger or 300c, and you'd need to get the SRT-8 version to truly have fun, and they are not sports sedans. There's also always the CTS-V, which make me sweaty whenever I think about them, then you get into the BMW 5's and E550's and so on. The Genesis is marketed as a sports sedan, and it's not, but it is still much larger than the G37. And can go.
Agreed. And I would definitely say it was worth getting. If I had wanted a little bit larger car it would have been the one.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:12 PM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by san~man
A center rear child seat is not recommended per the infinit owners manual
Actually, that's not exactly what it says, at least in my manual. Mine says:

The LATCH anchor points are provided to install
child restraints in the rear outboard seating
positions only. Do not attempt to install a child
restraint in the center position using the LATCH
anchors.

On page 1-37, it even explains how to install a booster in the center rear seat (using the seatbelts). So it seems it's ok to use the center rear seat, just don't use the latch anchors from the surrounding seats to do it -- use the seatbelt instead.

Nevertheless, I should have pointed out in my original post, as others did, it would certainly be a tight fit and this is not the best car to attempt this in. But if like you said, this would only be rarely used when you are "in a pinch," you could probably make do if you had to.

Quick Reply: G37 Sedan and child seats