Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

changing headlight bulb

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 05:04 AM
Greddy37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing headlight bulb

ok sooo today i went to infiniti to see if they can change my light bulbs for me bc i bought the 6k bulbs and they denied me bc they said that higher temperatures are known for blowing up and destroying the headlight and i was like ok so i tried another local shop to see if they can change it but the denied me too because they said that higher temperature bulbs will melt the stock wires. soo my question is do i need to get new wires for my headlights and have ppl experienced any problems with just changing the bulbs?
Old 03-22-2009, 05:12 AM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no. those are plug and play, just swap the new bulbs in and ure done. and the dealer and workshop people are obviously fooling you.. nothing wrong will happen with 6000k bulbs
Old 03-22-2009, 06:47 AM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
haha, that's complete crap....that was true 10 years ago when people were still running those blue tinted bulbs....but bulbs ran at a higher wattage so it can be brighter but in return, melted stock wires....

but i believe almost all hid bulb's run at the same wattage....therefore, ur wires won't melt...
Old 03-22-2009, 11:35 AM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greddy37
ok sooo today i went to infiniti to see if they can change my light bulbs for me bc i bought the 6k bulbs and they denied me bc they said that higher temperatures are known for blowing up and destroying the headlight and i was like ok so i tried another local shop to see if they can change it but the denied me too because they said that higher temperature bulbs will melt the stock wires. soo my question is do i need to get new wires for my headlights and have ppl experienced any problems with just changing the bulbs?
What! Dude let me tell you that this is completely and utterly crap! If they told you that then NEVER I repeat NEVER take your car to them for anything because they do not know what they are talking about. It is total plug and play and the only difficult part of it is the effort in taking the wheels off and rolling back the wheel-well liner to get the OEM bulbs out.

I have only heard of aftermarket bulbs exploding one time and that was because the idiot who installed them touched the bulb (huge no no) and the oil from his fingers caused the bulb to go boom!

And lastly the stupidity behind higher temperature will melt wires! WTF! The "higher temperature" means Kelvin Color (the measurement of sunlight color as it moves through the sky) not heat. HID bulbs draw less power than standard Halogen bulbs thus they are actually cooler.

I'm done.

Go to the DIY section and read the posts there about changing your HID's out.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
The bulbs operate at the same temperature, the COLOR TEMPERATURE is higher which has absolutely nothing to do with how physically hot it is. You are dealing with morons.

Besides that, you can change your own bulbs without removing the wheels, it's not that hard but is is more involved than it should be.

Last edited by Black Betty; 03-22-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-22-2009, 12:10 PM
machinist

go in there with a machinegun and tell them they were wrong lol
Old 03-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Greddy37

thanks guys i appreciate it. i guess wen u want to get something done u gotta do it yourslef now a days
Old 03-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Csquared

If you're not lowered, then you can actually change the bulbs without taking off the wheel, granted it would be much harder but doable.