Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Window tint ticket

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 06:23 PM
chuly740

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window tint ticket

I'm sure I will get yelled at because this isn't in the correct section but I didn't know where else to post it. I was driving with my wife today in her BMW(boo I know deal with it) and I drove past a Florida Trooper outside of his car. He saw us drive by, got in his car and 30 sec. later was behind us, lights flashing, in the middle of heavy traffic. He informed me I was being pulled over due to illegal tint, and checked it with the handheld device it was 13%, also mentioned the license plate cover was illegal, so all said I got 2 $101 fines, now my question is.....These are both non-moving violations and I thought they couldn't specifically pull you over for just a non-moving violation...in other words, they can pull you over for speeding and add the tint, etc. Am I way off base or somewhat right? I have a feeling there are plenty of members getting pulled over in here. Thanks, safe driving! (And cops wonder why we dislike them)
Old 03-18-2009, 06:32 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
sure you can get pulled over for that! They call it probable cause, But you're probably in a part of town where nothing happens! LOL. It really is an officer safety thing, when they come up to the window, they can't see inside, hence, they can't see what the driver and passenger are setting up for. Don't get me wrong, I have my windows tinted, but they are very light!
Old 03-18-2009, 06:37 PM
avop718

i have 15% and have no problems with the law(knock on wood) here in nyc. I feel that 15% is the best tint if ur trying to avoid problems because cops can still see the person. im still thinking of goin darker and throwin 5% on lol...i have this thing were i dont like to be seen haha....kind of oxymoronic but hey
Old 03-18-2009, 09:48 PM
chuly740

yeah my g37 has 15% and smoked tail/headlights so we will see I'm glad I wasn't driving my car instead of $200 it would have been $400, I think cops should use descretion too, I mean my wife and I aren't exactly suspicious, but some cops just don't care. Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
I got a tint ticket here in MA, it sucked so I had to revert back to legal 35%..fought it in court and won..it is what it is
Old 03-18-2009, 10:29 PM
IcebergG

Chuly, I live in Palm Beach Gardens as well (PGA National to make things worse!) and I have 15% - never had a problem. I found out that the PB county police AND troopers do "sweeps" on tues and thurs and sometimes they can be real @ssholes about nothing. If you can, try to drive with your windows down as much as you can to let some light in. I used to think it was only at the end of the month but I was wrong!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Police Officers don't have "quotas" for giving tickets and arresting people, that's just a myth. It doesn't matter what part of the month it is, you'll most likely get a repair order. Cops aren't too picky with the smoked tail lights either as long as it isn't 5%.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:12 PM
wipeoutlol

Originally Posted by IcebergG
Chuly, I live in Palm Beach Gardens as well (PGA National to make things worse!) and I have 15% - never had a problem. I found out that the PB county police AND troopers do "sweeps" on tues and thurs and sometimes they can be real @ssholes about nothing. If you can, try to drive with your windows down as much as you can to let some light in. I used to think it was only at the end of the month but I was wrong!
lol just moved out of PGA national myself to be closer to FAU...

anyways yeah I had 15% tint for about 5 years without being pulled over for it, I think the OP just got very unlucky or there is a new **** cop on the force

PBG cops are ok, they really do have too much time on their hands because its PBG though
Old 03-19-2009, 12:35 AM
Rambo

The rumor I heard is that FL police are on a mission to give out as many tickets as possible. Something about the city needing to generate money, so this is like being taxed-again.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:40 AM
adamball89

i got pulled over too. i was told i was going around 30 in a 25 zone and i got a tint ticket.
but thank god my good friends dad is a volunteer sharif and can right tickets off
Old 03-19-2009, 03:21 AM
sbmwg37s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had 15%, but I was pulled over a month ago, so I had to peel off my side window tints.

Now I feel like I'm driving naked.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:07 PM
chuly740

A girl I work with her husband got pulled over the day after I did on I-95 and he got a tint ticket too. I heard the same rumor about them trying to generate revenue, just watch out for 95 and the cops with the buzz cuts....they are a-holes.....
Old 03-19-2009, 03:07 PM
wipeoutlol

FHP is where the a-holes are at.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:54 AM
Team Punisher

Have had my 08 about a year now car has been in 20 diff. states and just got my frist tint ticket in NC.. my tint is 15% .. Frist time should be fix it but some cops have pet peeves and i guess tint is one . They have a tough job,so i dont like it but i understand. Since i have out of state plates i think i might be able to beat it..that and the fact im a old man may help....
Old 03-23-2009, 06:04 PM
BiskitG37

I thought it was just some of the little red neck cities pulling people over for tints, Kenneth City in Pinellas co. is notorious for this. Surprised this happened on
I95 too.

Quick Reply: Window tint ticket