Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 07:56 PM
last lemming

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this normal?

I noticed this today for the first time and I cant say I remember this. Its like someone hit my rear bumper and forced the edges out where they meet the tail light. I can be sure this was always like this or not?

I did buy my car with 1800 miles on it and maybe it was in a wreck, but I crawled under the car with a light and there is zero evidence of any wreck. Also the bumper doesn't have any evdience that it has ever been hit.

Here are some photos. Can anyone look at their car and tell me it this is happening to your car or not. And how can I fix it if is not normal.

thanks

Old 03-12-2009, 08:04 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
hm how do you know it wasn't in a wreck before? did you check the car fax? that doesn't look right to me.

i guess you never took off the rear bumper?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:31 PM
last lemming

I did a car fax and it came up clean. Nothing about wrecks, but you never know. Its just that when I buffed the car I would have noticed something like that and I just don't remember it. Plus when you look under the car there is no sign of wreck. All the bolts look like a socket has never touched them, the threads that poke through different brackets that would have been removed dont look like they've ever been unscrewed. Theres no left over damage, meaning there is no parts that were scratched in a wreck but not damaged and therefore werent fixed or removed on the car to see evidence of a wreck. There are no heat sheilds in the area that are bent. All the plastic clips and such look perfect. No overspray, no metal that was bent back into shape etc. So if there was a wreck then they went through a lot of trouble to fix all that perfect yet not align the bumper?

I guess someone could have backed into the car just enough to compess the plastic bumper cover and flex it to distorsion, but not damage what's underneath.

There is only one thing that bugs me, there is one screw that holds on the bumper that is missing. Maybe they just missed it at the factory. Who knows. Now I need to find a way to get at the clips that hold that edge of the bumper and see if I can tighten it up.

And "no" I've never removed the rear bumper, but I'd like to know how.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:39 PM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm... that doesn't look normal....
Old 03-12-2009, 10:25 PM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes it's normal

WHY?

because I have it too!!

ughh.. but urs is x10 worse than mine ;o

also check the bottom fender of ur wheel well.. it will be not sit in flushed as well.. it's juz bad bumper fitment when they put it on.. no biggie
Old 03-12-2009, 10:26 PM
AndrewDDS

My car also has some very minor panel fit issues. Mine doesn't quite line up where the roof piece at the top-rear of the driver's side window joins with the side-roof panel on the rear. Drives me nuts everyday, but there's no way it's getting fixed anytime soon.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:30 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
that's extremely normal....especially in honda's on a hot summer day....the plastic expands quite a bit, causing the sides to pop out like that....
Old 03-12-2009, 10:49 PM
last lemming

notice the red circle. In it there seems to be some sort of white clip that might have become loose or damaged if the car was hit. Can anyone comnfirm?

this isn't my car I stole the image from another thread.

Last edited by last lemming; 03-12-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:07 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Thats not normal.. Take it to the stealership....
Old 03-13-2009, 12:35 AM
G_Thang

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by last lemming
I noticed this today for the first time and I cant say I remember this. Its like someone hit my rear bumper and forced the edges out where they meet the tail light. I can be sure this was always like this or not?

I did buy my car with 1800 miles on it and maybe it was in a wreck, but I crawled under the car with a light and there is zero evidence of any wreck. Also the bumper doesn't have any evdience that it has ever been hit.

Here are some photos. Can anyone look at their car and tell me it this is happening to your car or not. And how can I fix it if is not normal.

thanks

Thats the quality coming from Infiniti these days. If you have a good eye you can find several quality issues on the G37s. I have an interior piece that fits funky and several exterior pieces, not to mention the paint is orange peeled in several spots. To be honest, Im not extremely happy with the quality of fit and finish on the car.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:29 AM
NACZ3

Mine has this but not as bad as well. The fit and finish on the car is disappointing and infuriating for a car at this price. Call Infiniti Consumer Affairs prior to taking it in to the dealer to open a file on it if you're taking it to the dealer--I've had to do this on some interior pieces.

I don't see these cars keeping well interior-wise or exterior-wise. Probably my first and last Infiniti and the dealer network seems poor with 1 in 5 being decent and fixing issues with having to make a federal case out of it. At the end of the day though, they are really only rebadged Nissans and the quality level is on par. (I like the car, don't get me wrong, but the Total Ownership Experience marketing from Infiniti is lip service).
Old 03-16-2009, 07:30 AM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by NACZ3
I don't see these cars keeping well interior-wise or exterior-wise. Probably my first and last Infiniti and the dealer network seems poor with 1 in 5 being decent and fixing issues with having to make a federal case out of it. At the end of the day though, they are really only rebadged Nissans and the quality level is on par. (I like the car, don't get me wrong, but the Total Ownership Experience marketing from Infiniti is lip service).
^+1. Unfortunately, after about 8 months of ownership, I'm starting to understand why BMW, MB, and Audi charge ~$10,000 more than Infiniti for their comparably equipped models. It seems that every few weeks I notice something else that Infiniti cut costs on with poor results.

And I can't agree with you more about the dealership network, especially in areas where they don't have any competition! If the dealership knows you have nowhere else to go, they really treat you like trash. I have a hard time believing other "luxury" dealerships treat their customers similarly.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:27 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

Mine is flush at that juncture, so I would say not normal.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:46 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gtracing
that's extremely normal....especially in honda's on a hot summer day....the plastic expands quite a bit, causing the sides to pop out like that....
Thats right. My Toyota that I had before I bought my G did it continuously- enough that I demanded that Toyota put a different bumper cover on it 2 times, and it still didn't fix the problem. My buddy's IS-F has the same thing going on right now too... I'd take it back to the dealership and have them re-install the bumper cover, and it should take care of the issue.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:01 PM
last lemming

I would, but the more I look at it the more it looks like someone in the parking garage just pressed in the bumper cover when they backed up and distorted the edges (in the photo). I have since noticed that the panel gap that leads from the wheel well and up to this joint is not and even panel gap. It splays from 0.0mm to about 1mm.

I have the assmbley diagrams but they do not necessarily explain how to adjust the gaps, they just show the mounting points. Help here would be appreciated.

Originally Posted by NotUrG
Thats right. My Toyota that I had before I bought my G did it continuously- enough that I demanded that Toyota put a different bumper cover on it 2 times, and it still didn't fix the problem. My buddy's IS-F has the same thing going on right now too... I'd take it back to the dealership and have them re-install the bumper cover, and it should take care of the issue.

Quick Reply: Is this normal?